The Student Room Group

Can I get into oxford?

I know this is a very overplayed question, but I have a couple concerns.

I'm aiming to study English Language and Literature at Oxford, but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades are good enough.

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

I'm aware I did get good grades, but I'm worried that my two 6s will potentially stop me from getting in, thus rendering my application pointless. I didn't go to an underperforming school (in terms of GCSE results), but it was a state school that required improvement (Ofsted) and definitely isn't known for sending students to Oxbridge.

I just started year 12 so I don't have proper predicted grades yet. For reference, my a levels are: English Lit, History, Psychology and EPQ.

I'm relatively set on applying, but I desperately need someone to just honestly tell me whether I should actually bother applying or not.
Reply 1

I'm aiming to study English Language and Literature at Oxford, but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades are good enough.

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

I'm aware I did get good grades, but I'm worried that my two 6s will potentially stop me from getting in, thus rendering my application pointless. I didn't go to an underperforming school (in terms of GCSE results), but it was a state school that required improvement (Ofsted) and definitely isn't known for sending students to Oxbridge.

I just started year 12 so I don't have proper predicted grades yet. For reference, my a levels are: English Lit, History, Psychology and EPQ.

I'm relatively set on applying, but I desperately need someone to just honestly tell me whether I should actually bother applying or not.
Original post by ClareIsobelD

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

hey i study aqa a level psych (y13 student) - let me know how it's going!!!! once you get your predicted grades, i say go for it ❤️ you honestly have nothing to lose :smile: - you dont want to regret making a wrong decision
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
hey i study aqa a level psych (y13 student) - let me know how it's going!!!! once you get your predicted grades, i say go for it ❤️ you honestly have nothing to lose :smile: - you dont want to regret making a wrong decision

Hi! Thanks for your reply. :smile:

Currently psych is actually my favourite subject, and I'm performing pretty well in it so far. Honestly, everyone was right abt research methods being a dragggg though.

I was kind of thinking the same thing! I mean I don't want to face a rejection, but I'd rather face a rejection than the regret of not applying.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

If you think you are doing well at A level, then yes, you should definitely go for it! GCSEs are considered but only relative to the school you got them at and by subject. Ideally, you'd want to be in the top decile at your school academically.

If you immerse yourself in the course you like (eg. reading around it, talking to friends and maybe giving a presentation at some point) and have a neat crop of A*/A grades predicted, definitely go for it!! You may also want to talk to a teacher about it and begin to consider the admissions test. Good luck!
Hi! Thanks for your reply. :smile:

Currently psych is actually my favourite subject, and I'm performing pretty well in it so far. Honestly, everyone was right abt research methods being a dragggg though.

I was kind of thinking the same thing! I mean I don't want to face a rejection, but I'd rather face a rejection than the regret of not applying.

exactly - like the attitude <3! yeah research methods :frown: bye bye lol!! well done for doing well in it ❤️
Reply 6

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

Hey,

As an oxf grad, I can confirm that these are amazing grades! GCSE grades matter, but your A level results will be the ones that count the most (plus - you have amazing GCSE grades anyways). I say just go for it. Considering youre in y12, I would recommend spending the year attending lectures/extra curricular stuff/societies/summer schools or anything else that will help your personal statement to show your genuine interest in your subject. Oxf is very very academic and they want to see a real interest in your subject. Happy to answer questions privately too! good luck with the process!

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

You should be fine. The admissions criteria for just about any course at Oxford expects a high proportion of 7’s, 8’s and 9’s at GCSE and you’ve certainly managed that. You also got the highest grades in the most relevant subjects to an English degree, so I wouldn’t be concerned at all about the 6’s in bio and physics.

I would move on from worrying about GCSE’s. You now need to focus on getting the best possible A level grades you can and working towards getting relevant supercurriculars that you can put on your UCAS application.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Eileens
Hey,

As an oxf grad, I can confirm that these are amazing grades! GCSE grades matter, but your A level results will be the ones that count the most (plus - you have amazing GCSE grades anyways). I say just go for it. Considering youre in y12, I would recommend spending the year attending lectures/extra curricular stuff/societies/summer schools or anything else that will help your personal statement to show your genuine interest in your subject. Oxf is very very academic and they want to see a real interest in your subject. Happy to answer questions privately too! good luck with the process!

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply. :smile:

What I got:
English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Chemistry - 9
History - 8
Sociology - 8
Textiles - 8
Maths - 7
Biology - 6
Physics - 6

i got a 5 in gcse maths and still got an offer - so dont worry too much! a levels, personal statement and any extra application materials are what oxford focuses on - they'd only really take gcses into account when trying to deliberate between two otherwise equally excellent applicants. plus, your gcses are still strong, especially in english which is what matters! if you have the predicted grades, go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending