The Student Room Group

Mr Bates v the post office

I finally got around to watching this last night. It was absolutely superb. What a massive cover up and well done to Alan Bates on getting so far.

Does anyone where they have got to this since?
Yes, I finished it a few weeks ago. It was so good. i can't believe it actually happened, it was just wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Moonand7Stars
Yes, I finished it a few weeks ago. It was so good. i can't believe it actually happened, it was just wrong.

they obviously new about the problems and continued to cover up regardless. i really want to know what is happening now. i think paula resigned but that is not enough.
Original post by Kutie Karen
they obviously new about the problems and continued to cover up regardless. i really want to know what is happening now. i think paula resigned but that is not enough.

i think she did but she also got a cbe, did you see that bit? or some kind of award, i can't really remember.
is the actual mr bates still campaigning do you know?
and poor jo hamilton. she was the one i felt for the most, especially after finding out that there was "no evidence of theft" and still going to prison....
Reply 4
i think she did but she also got a cbe, did you see that bit? or some kind of award, i can't really remember.
and poor jo hamilton. she was the one i felt for the most, especially after finding out that there was "no evidence of theft" and still going to prison....

Yes that was sad. It is seriously rubbing their noses in it giving Paula a CBE or whatever. Mr Bates should be given some award/medal. He could have done absolutley nothing but did it for the greater good. It does make me think what else is being covered up.

She has already stated she wants to give the CBE back, but I think that's a matter for the King/Palace

I feel it's important to remember Vennells is being used as a bit of a lazy scapegoat now. The Horizon problems and prosecutions had started in the late 90s way before she even joined as a network director in 2007 and became CEO in 2012, the rot was already well established when she arrived. Indeed the titular Mr Bate's incident had already happened years before she joined the company.

This isn't to say she is innocent, she has played a part towards the end in keeping the scandal down but she didn't cause it, so I feel there's a lot more names deserving scrutiny than just hers.
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
She has already stated she wants to give the CBE back, but I think that's a matter for the King/Palace

I feel it's important to remember Vennells is being used as a bit of a lazy scapegoat now. The Horizon problems and prosecutions had started in the late 90s way before she even joined as a network director in 2007 and became CEO in 2012, the rot was already well established when she arrived. Indeed the titular Mr Bate's incident had already happened years before she joined the company.

This isn't to say she is innocent, she has played a part towards the end in keeping the scandal down but she didn't cause it, so I feel there's a lot more names deserving scrutiny than just hers.
oh interesting. Didn't know this till now. who should be scrutinised instead?
I think the Horizon company Fujitsu has to have a lot of the blame. First of all they had remote access to the systems, and second of all they used it to fiddle with the money.

Their entire management culture needs to be ruthlessly excised and the looks of injured entitlement wiped off their faces imo. You don't get to this point through one rogue member of staff or mistake, this is decades of widespread malicious rot up and down the structure to have got this far and callously ruined so many lives. Many of these managers will be away now but their infection clearly remains,

Maybe not a popular option, but I don't feel the Royal Mail/Post Office should be allowed to blithely maintain their privileges/warrants etc and we need to need to move beyond the idea that it's a sacred cow because they seem to be failing right across the board. massive price hikes, missing pretty much all delivery targets, trying to to give people rip off credit cards, all this Horizon quagmire... I feel their recent 'well maybe we could just deliver mail a few days a week to save money?' might be the sort of stuff that makes the public turn on them,
Reply 10
I think the Horizon company Fujitsu has to have a lot of the blame. First of all they had remote access to the systems, and second of all they used it to fiddle with the money.
true
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
Their entire management culture needs to be ruthlessly excised and the looks of injured entitlement wiped off their faces imo. You don't get to this point through one rogue member of staff or mistake, this is decades of widespread malicious rot up and down the structure to have got this far and callously ruined so many lives. Many of these managers will be away now but their infection clearly remains,

Maybe not a popular option, but I don't feel the Royal Mail/Post Office should be allowed to blithely maintain their privileges/warrants etc and we need to need to move beyond the idea that it's a sacred cow because they seem to be failing right across the board. massive price hikes, missing pretty much all delivery targets, trying to to give people rip off credit cards, all this Horizon quagmire... I feel their recent 'well maybe we could just deliver mail a few days a week to save money?' might be the sort of stuff that makes the public turn on them,
Very valid points.

Quick Reply

Latest