The Student Room Group

Chem a level: Maxwell -Boltzman Distribution Curve, why does height of peak decrease?

hey all,
dont understand why the height of the peak decreases when the temperature increases
i know that the area under must remain the same becuase obvs the total number of molecules cant change. But why are there then technically less molecules at the peak? sorry if this is not really clearly worded
It’s because there are more molecules at/above activation energy, so the area under the curve there is greater than it would be at a lower temperature. Which means the curve for increased temp needs to be lower elsewhere. It just means less molecules are at the average energy at the higher temperature (I think)
Original post by Nat4695
hey all,
dont understand why the height of the peak decreases when the temperature increases
i know that the area under must remain the same becuase obvs the total number of molecules cant change. But why are there then technically less molecules at the peak? sorry if this is not really clearly worded

If the area of the curve has to remain the same and the width increases then the height MUST decrease.
Reply 3
Original post by Teribblestudent
It’s because there are more molecules at/above activation energy, so the area under the curve there is greater than it would be at a lower temperature. Which means the curve for increased temp needs to be lower elsewhere. It just means less molecules are at the average energy at the higher temperature (I think)

Thank you that makes sense now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by charco
If the area of the curve has to remain the same and the width increases then the height MUST decrease.

yep I know, I meant more to do with the molecules themselves but I get it now. Thanks tho :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest