The Student Room Group

Special constable

I’m just wondering the differences between a special constable and a police support volunteer (PSV)

Also for a special Constable, I'm in my last year of college, can I begin training now and begin as one during the summer to university and alongside my degree?

For the training as a special Constable I’m aware the minimum hours is 16 per month. However, what does the training timetable look like/timewise.
Reply 1
Original post by SammyWow
I’m just wondering the differences between a special constable and a police support volunteer (PSV)

Also for a special Constable, I'm in my last year of college, can I begin training now and begin as one during the summer to university and alongside my degree?

For the training as a special Constable I’m aware the minimum hours is 16 per month. However, what does the training timetable look like/timewise.

Used to be a special, not got much experience with PSVs but it looks like they do more general support things, but aren't officers. Specials are warrant-carrying constables, so they have pretty much the same powers as regular PCs, and do lots of the same day-to-day things PCs do.

It's been a while since I did my training, but I did it over about 6 months. I was in every Saturday from about 9 till 3 or 4. You can also do it as an intensive 4 week course Mon-Fri. They are VERY strict on not missing any sessions, as you need to have completed all parts of the course in order to get certified. If it's still the same as when I did it, there are three multiple-choice exams, and assessed practicals in arrests, first aid, and stop-and-search.

The 16 hours refers to the minimum number of hours you need to do a month, which usually works out as two shifts as they are usually around 8h. In reality, you'll struggle if you only do this amount to get comfortable with the job, and to get everything signed off. There are a number of skills you need to be witnessed performing competently in order to attain 'IPS' (independent patrol status), which means you have more freedom in terms of what you do / how independent you can be. How important this is depends on where you are stationed / what kind of shifts you do.

Ongoing training is an annual first-aid refresher - in theory specials can go on other training courses, but as you're competing with full-time PCs for places you're unlikely to get on any unless you're doing a LOT of shifts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending