The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Preferred College

Hi
I got an offer from Durham University for the BSc accounting and finance course and was asked to rank the colleges as per preference. As an international student, I do not know the locations and what college would be the best for me. Any help would be appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Nikhita19
Hi
I got an offer from Durham University for the BSc accounting and finance course and was asked to rank the colleges as per preference. As an international student, I do not know the locations and what college would be the best for me. Any help would be appreciated
Durham colleges are either Hill (20 minutes from town) or Bailey (5 minutes from town). If you don’t mind walking to your lectures then that could be an important factor in deciding a college.
I ranked mine based on:

whether it’s catered or self-catered (I chose self-catered since I want more flexibility)

whether there is a chance of sharing a room (I’m autistic so I really couldn’t)

And you could also consider:

whether there are gowned formal dinners

What kind of rooms are available (en-suite, shared, paired)

Clubs and facilities

Scholarships

I’ve got a full college breakdown based on these points if you want it
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by waffelton
Hi
Durham colleges are either Hill (20 minutes from town) or Bailey (5 minutes from town). If you don’t mind walking to your lectures then that could be an important factor in deciding a college.
I ranked mine based on:

whether it’s catered or self-catered (I chose self-catered since I want more flexibility)

whether there is a chance of sharing a room (I’m autistic so I really couldn’t)

And you could also consider:

whether there are gowned formal dinners

What kind of rooms are available (en-suite, shared, paired)

Clubs and facilities

Scholarships

I’ve got a full college breakdown based on these points if you want it

Yes please it would be of great help if I get some sort of comparison between the colleges
Hi
Hi there

I have listed some considerations below which will be of help. I have used the terms hill and bailey colleges. Hill colleges are located near the science site while bailey colleges are located in the area surrounding the Cathedral. You can get a virtual tour of the campus and colleges using this app- DU Tours

catered vs self-catered: if you don't want to worry about cooking, go for catered colleges. Self-catered colleges give you more control over what and when you eat.

type of room: some colleges like St Chads offer shared rooms. If you want to avoid them, go for the ones which have majority of single or ensuite rooms (look at hill colleges). Details of which type of rooms are available in each college are in this comparison table- https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/compare-our-colleges/undergraduate-college-comparison-table/

location: although all colleges are located in fairly close proximity to teaching sites, you might want to choose one that's closer to where your classes will take place in case you're running late (happens quite often if you have 9am classes). Finance and accounting classes will be confined to the science site and occasionally the business school, so I'd suggest going for hill colleges.

big vs small: hill colleges tend to be bigger while those like St Johns and St Chads are smaller. This means smaller facilities like bars, sporting areas, social spaces, etc. You'll also probably see more familiar faces often in a small college.

gowned vs non-gowned: as the name suggests, in gowned colleges, you'll wear a gown for matriculation and formals. It's not a massive consideration but more a matter of personal choice!

additional costs: costs for a JCR membership (not mandatory to purchase), gym facilities, college societies, gowns for matriculation, college sports teams etc can vary from college to college. For instance, Butler's gym membership is £20 while that for South is £75. Also, colleges offer different scholarships/bursaries so it's good to check if you're particularly interested in any.

Hope this helps :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 2 months ago)
Yes please it would be of great help if I get some sort of comparison between the colleges
Sorry for the delay.
C5E4ECC5-BB62-444C-8963-ECE2A6E4D3DE.jpeg
I’d also recommend looking at YouTube videos of the colleges if you’re having a hard time deciding.
Sorry for the delay.
I’d also recommend looking at YouTube videos of the colleges if you’re having a hard time deciding.
Just a note, not too serious, but the size statistics here seem to be based off livers in, not the total student population of the colleges so just something to bear in mind :smile:)
Reply 6
Sorry for the delay.
yeah thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest