The Student Room Group

Can I get into vet school with a 5 in gcse maths

So I want to be a vet and ik liverpool has a 6 minimum for maths but I was wondering if I can still have a good chance of getting in somewhere (the dream is Edinburgh) with a 5 and I’m going to do lots of stuff to boost my application (any tips are appreciated) I’m doing gold dofe and volunteering for that every week and also I’ve got farm experience for October half term and vet clinic for January and im trying to get some for each school holiday and I’ve also done the Edinburgh uni mooc on being a vet
Reply 1
Original post by Pineapple.125
So I want to be a vet and ik liverpool has a 6 minimum for maths but I was wondering if I can still have a good chance of getting in somewhere (the dream is Edinburgh) with a 5 and I’m going to do lots of stuff to boost my application (any tips are appreciated) I’m doing gold dofe and volunteering for that every week and also I’ve got farm experience for October half term and vet clinic for January and im trying to get some for each school holiday and I’ve also done the Edinburgh uni mooc on being a vet

A student with 5s in their GCSEs here planning to apply as well

I know Bristol accepts 5s in the GCSEs, at least for the gateway veterinary course, I think UCLAN also accepts but I'm not totally sure, and the gateway medicine course from RVC also accepts those grades. I'm not very sure about Edinburgh unfortunately, would also like to know if they do accept.

Hope I was able to help:smile:
I would personally seriously consider retaking your maths GCSE if possible, maybe at the end of year 12. I know it’s a pain but it’s a bigger pain if you limit where you can apply just over 1 GCSE. Above has given you the choices that do accept it, but bear in mind gateway courses are possibly more competitive than the 5 year (which is competitive enough) as there isn’t very many spaces on them. I’d really aim for being able to apply to 4 vet courses and ideally the 5 year ones. Unfortunately the unis won’t make exceptions for GCSEs as there are like 10 applicants per spot and the majority of the candidates do meet the minimum requirements. I’ve got a little blog for my third year at Liverpool and I’ve summarised the main advice I give to applicants on here so you can have a read here as it may help for other tips etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending