The Student Room Group

Can I get into a vet university

I did my GCSEs this year and got 877766554 (7s in Bio + Chem, 6s in Maths + Physics, 8 and 7 in English Lit / Lang). My grades are lower than I was predicted and I was honestly quite disappointed as the unis I were looking at needed 5 7s or higher. I was wondering if it is possible to get into a good veterinary university with these grades if I get AAB or AAA at A-Level.
There is no such thing as 'good' veterinary university, all of them are on the same level and none has any advantage once you are a qualified vet, everyone has the same opportunities. Your GCSEs are good and I'm sure you can find some vet schools to apply to (I suggest making a table of all the vet schools with their minimum requirements as it won't take too long), but if you did want to increase the range you are eligible for then perhaps consider resitting one of your 6s in your 12? Perhaps maths? It isn't integral, but it is up to you whether you have a preference on a vet school which asks for five 7s. I'd definitely do it if you can't apply to 4 unis - do not apply anywhere you don't met the minimum for. Your A Levels as you probably already know have to have As in biology and chemistry, some unis do ask for Bs in your third subject but the majority do want AAA. I am starting a little blog here and the first post has some info I give out on here regularly including for prospective vet applicants which may help you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
There is no such thing as 'good' veterinary university, all of them are on the same level and none has any advantage once you are a qualified vet, everyone has the same opportunities. Your GCSEs are good and I'm sure you can find some vet schools to apply to (I suggest making a table of all the vet schools with their minimum requirements as it won't take too long), but if you did want to increase the range you are eligible for then perhaps consider resitting one of your 6s in your 12? Perhaps maths? It isn't integral, but it is up to you whether you have a preference on a vet school which asks for five 7s. I'd definitely do it if you can't apply to 4 unis - do not apply anywhere you don't met the minimum for. Your A Levels as you probably already know have to have As in biology and chemistry, some unis do ask for Bs in your third subject but the majority do want AAA. I am starting a little blog here and the first post has some info I give out on here regularly including for prospective vet applicants which may help you :smile:

Thank you so much, I was quite worried about whether or not unis that didn't have the requirements would be willing to let me in would be objectively worse or be less appealing. I plan on having my Maths paper remarked since I was 1 mark off a 7, and potentially retaking it as a GCSE next year as I'm currently doing A-Level Maths if my parents are willing to pay for it or if I can get a job this year to pay it myself
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by laby.rinth
Thank you so much, I was quite worried about whether or not unis that didn't have the requirements would be willing to let me in would be objectively worse or be less appealing. I plan on having my Maths paper remarked since I was 1 mark off a 7, and potentially retaking it as a GCSE next year as I'm currently doing A-Level Maths if my parents are willing to pay for it or if I can get a job this year to pay it myself

Different unis just look for different things in their applicants, some might find having the higher requirements brings students who suit their curriculum better while some might find it doesn't make a difference. As long as you become a vet at the end of it you won't have any issues with finding employment and further opportunities, there is a massive vet shortage but what matters is your personal skills and experience you bring to the table which is beyond what your uni can teach you anyway :smile: I got 6s in maths and physics too (but 7s+ in everything else) and generally hate maths and numbers but I'm doing fine, so I'm sure you'll be fine too. I hope the remark or the resit goes well either way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending