The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Personal Tutor Scheme and Academic Support here at Kingston

If you are considering Kingston University as one of your choices, here is a short write up on the different types of academic support we have here at Kingston.

Personal Tutor Scheme
Upon entering university in your first year, you would be assigned an academic staff to be your personal tutor. This is the person you go to if you require any additional academic support regarding your modules or would like some advice with your CV or portfolio. You would usually have a progress tutorial with your personal tutor once per semester and a third time at the end of the academic year to review your grades. However, I highly encourage emailing and reaching out to your personal tutor if you ever need advice or need additional support in your studies. I found this especially helpful when I was applying for summer internships and needed someone to review my CV and portfolio!

Mentoring
In addition to personal tutors, the department usually handpicks a few 2nd year students to run peer to peer mentoring sessions. This usually happens once a week during term time and is a great opportunity to get some additional feedback on your work or to find out more about the course. On top of peer to peer mentoring, schemes such as Beyond Barriers and Fashion Minority Alliance are great schemes which enable students to be mentored by industry professionals.

Academic Skills Centre
If english is not your first language and you need additional support with your academic writing skills, the academic and professional development programme (EAPD) is a great way you can develop your english writing and communication skills alongside your studies. They also offer individual tutorials for assignment writing where you can book a 30min zoom session to go through various writing assignments or oral presentations!
Kingston also offers a free language scheme known as KLS, where you can learn a new language mostly for free!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions about life in Kingston or if there is any topic of interest you would like to know more about! :smile:

Zhi En
(Kingston Student Rep.)
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending