The Student Room Group

Teaching

Do teachers in mainstreams schools work with children with ASD?
Hi @kind-poster

Absolutely, yes. I worked as a Teaching Assistant in a school for two years, and one of my main responsibilities was working with children with autism. I worked one-on-one with them, usually helping to bridge any gaps in knowledge or just helping them have a break from the main lesson so they could recharge in a private room.

I had to liaise heavily with the classroom teacher and my work with the children. The classroom teachers were also very involved in working with the children with autism to create good relationships with them and their parents/guardians.

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @kind-poster

Absolutely, yes. I worked as a Teaching Assistant in a school for two years, and one of my main responsibilities was working with children with autism. I worked one-on-one with them, usually helping to bridge any gaps in knowledge or just helping them have a break from the main lesson so they could recharge in a private room.

I had to liaise heavily with the classroom teacher and my work with the children. The classroom teachers were also very involved in working with the children with autism to create good relationships with them and their parents/guardians.

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Thank you so much!
Original post by kind-poster
Do teachers in mainstreams schools work with children with ASD?
Hello @kind-poster

Not only do teachers in main-stream school teach young people living with ASD, some of our teachers are also living with ASD and other neuro-diversity. In a typical classroom, there will be a wealth of additional needs and differences, and so the support one can provide to make a tangible difference to the lives of young people is immense. The benefit of a teacher training course is that you learn to differentiate the learning outcomes, to ensure that all students are able to achieve a level of success.

If you would like further information of what a teacher training course might 'look like', then you may speak to an Get into Teaching adviser.

Wishing you all the best, Jane :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending