The Student Room Group

its getting worse, i'm scared i won't get into uni

i got my assignment back today and was capped at a pass, which means I need to resubmit for a pass.
it's just been so hard lately, suffering from mental fatigue and I have 2 other assignments I'm working on.
I'm scared I won't get into university
this year I also got a near pass in one of the exams, and my teacher advised me not to retake it as I can get a Dmm, what if I don't get it now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i got my assignment back today and was capped at a pass, which means I need to resubmit for a pass.
it's just been so hard lately, suffering from mental fatigue and I have 2 other assignments I'm working on.
this year I also got a near pass in one of the exams, and my teacher advised me not to retake it as I can get a Dmm, what if I don't get it now?

Have you applied to uni already? Do you have offers where DMM is expected?

If you know what grades you have in which units, we can work out your likely overall grade (using some assumptions about your outstanding units).

If your know your raw marks (or points) for your external units (the ones with exams) then even better.

You need to remain positive and remember that even if you do just miss out on the DMM you're hoping for, you may be accepted as a "near miss" anyway.
Original post by DataVenia
Have you applied to uni already? Do you have offers where DMM is expected?

If you know what grades you have in which units, we can work out your likely overall grade (using some assumptions about your outstanding units).

If your know your raw marks (or points) for your external units (the ones with exams) then even better.

You need to remain positive and remember that even if you do just miss out on the DMM you're hoping for, you may be accepted as a "near miss" anyway.

Yes I’ve already applied. The uni I want to go to, is a DMM. All the universities I’ve applied for are all DMM. So far I’ve gotten 3 passes, 1 merit, and 4 distinctions.
The assignment which was capped at a pass, I tried my best it was so hard. I’m just scared I may fail. I have another assignment coming soon. It’s in 2 parts.
Yes I’ve already applied. The uni I want to go to, is a DMM. All the universities I’ve applied for are all DMM. So far I’ve gotten 3 passes, 1 merit, and 4 distinctions.
The assignment which was capped at a pass, I tried my best it was so hard. I’m just scared I may fail. I have another assignment coming soon. It’s in 2 parts.

Including the near pass aswell

Excellent. Do you know which unit numbers each of those passes, merits and distinctions was in? It's important because the units are often of different sizes, so a distinction in a large unit has more "value" than a distinction in a small unit.

Also, I assume this is a BTEC Extended Diploma. Is that right? What's the subject?

Just try your best
Excellent. Do you know which unit numbers each of those passes, merits and distinctions was in? It's important because the units are often of different sizes, so a distinction in a large unit has more "value" than a distinction in a small unit.

Also, I assume this is a BTEC Extended Diploma. Is that right? What's the subject?

Yes it’s extended diploma. I’m doing health and social care. I think, the exam points are 120 and the assignments are 60? I could be wrong.

in my exams I got passes and one near pass.
Just try your best

Thank you.
Yes it’s extended diploma. I’m doing health and social care. I think, the exam points are 120 and the assignments are 60? I could be wrong.

in my exams I got passes and one near pass.

It's not quite at simple as that. For example, Units 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all external (i.e. examined) units, yet Unit 1 is 90 guided learning hours (GLH) whilst Units 2, 3 and 4 are 120 GLH. This means that getting a pass in Unit 1 gets you between 9 and 14 points (depending on whether you just scraped the pass or whether you were on the verge of a merit), whilst a pass in any other of the examined units gets you between 12 and 19 points. Similarly, whilst Unit 6 and all the optional units are 60 GLH (meaning that a distinction earns you 16 points), Units 5, 7 and 8 are all 90 GLH (meaning distinction earns you 24 points). We need all these points to add-up to 176 for a DMM.

You said, "I’ve gotten 3 passes, 1 merit, and 4 distinctions" (that's 8 units) and then later "in my exams I got passes and one near pass", so it's not clear whether the near pass was in addition to the 8 units you've already done, or whether one of those three passes was actually a near pass. Below I've tried to mock-up where you might be in terms of an overall grade. I've made a lot of assumptions:

1. I've assumed your optional units are Unit 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14. (The lack of Unit 13, which spoils this sequence, is because that belongs to "Health and Social Care (Health Studies)", not straight "Health and Social Care". It doesn't matter which you've actually done, as the optional units are all 60 GLH, but I had to pick something.
2. I've assumed that you've obtained grades for 9 units so far, the 8 you mention as "3 passes, 1 merit, and 4 distinctions" plus the "one near pass" you mention later.
3. I've assumed that the near pass was in one of the three 120 GLH external units rather than in the single 90 GLH external unit (Unit 1).
4. For each external (examined) unit, I've assumed you were as close to the mid-point of the grade as I can get. (You get more points the closer you were to the next grade boundary.)
5. I've assumed that the merit you have for an internal unit is in one of the larger units, and the distinctions are for the others (ignoring those you've yet to do).
6. I've assumed that for one of the remaining units you get a U (as you are clearly worried about your ability to pass it).
7. For the other internal units (where you normally get distinctions it seems), I've assumed you get merits - taking a slightly conservative view.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - t=7338711 - DMM.JPG

You will note that even with the U in one of the optional units, and "only" merits in the ones you've yet to do, you still get a DMM overall.

The above may be wrong, as I've made loads of assumptions. However, it should hopefully give you some comfort regarding your "i'm scared i won't get into uni" concern. In all likelihood, you will. :smile:

If you can correct any of my assumptions, and provide a grade per unit number, plus the unit number for those which you've yet to take, I can update the above. If you know your mark for each of the external exams, that would be even better. Alternatively, you can download the "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator" from the Pearson web site here and play with it yourself.
It's not quite at simple as that. For example, Units 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all external (i.e. examined) units, yet Unit 1 is 90 guided learning hours (GLH) whilst Units 2, 3 and 4 are 120 GLH. This means that getting a pass in Unit 1 gets you between 9 and 14 points (depending on whether you just scraped the pass or whether you were on the verge of a merit), whilst a pass in any other of the examined units gets you between 12 and 19 points. Similarly, whilst Unit 6 and all the optional units are 60 GLH (meaning that a distinction earns you 16 points), Units 5, 7 and 8 are all 90 GLH (meaning distinction earns you 24 points). We need all these points to add-up to 176 for a DMM.

You said, "I’ve gotten 3 passes, 1 merit, and 4 distinctions" (that's 8 units) and then later "in my exams I got passes and one near pass", so it's not clear whether the near pass was in addition to the 8 units you've already done, or whether one of those three passes was actually a near pass. Below I've tried to mock-up where you might be in terms of an overall grade. I've made a lot of assumptions:

1. I've assumed your optional units are Unit 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14. (The lack of Unit 13, which spoils this sequence, is because that belongs to "Health and Social Care (Health Studies)", not straight "Health and Social Care". It doesn't matter which you've actually done, as the optional units are all 60 GLH, but I had to pick something.
2. I've assumed that you've obtained grades for 9 units so far, the 8 you mention as "3 passes, 1 merit, and 4 distinctions" plus the "one near pass" you mention later.
3. I've assumed that the near pass was in one of the three 120 GLH external units rather than in the single 90 GLH external unit (Unit 1).
4. For each external (examined) unit, I've assumed you were as close to the mid-point of the grade as I can get. (You get more points the closer you were to the next grade boundary.)
5. I've assumed that the merit you have for an internal unit is in one of the larger units, and the distinctions are for the others (ignoring those you've yet to do).
6. I've assumed that for one of the remaining units you get a U (as you are clearly worried about your ability to pass it).
7. For the other internal units (where you normally get distinctions it seems), I've assumed you get merits - taking a slightly conservative view.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - t=7338711 - DMM.JPG

You will note that even with the U in one of the optional units, and "only" merits in the ones you've yet to do, you still get a DMM overall.

The above may be wrong, as I've made loads of assumptions. However, it should hopefully give you some comfort regarding your "i'm scared i won't get into uni" concern. In all likelihood, you will. :smile:

If you can correct any of my assumptions, and provide a grade per unit number, plus the unit number for those which you've yet to take, I can update the above. If you know your mark for each of the external exams, that would be even better. Alternatively, you can download the "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator" from the Pearson web site here and play with it yourself.

Thank you so much.
Below are each of the units I’ve done and the grade.
Unit 5 - merit
Unit 12 - Distinction
Unit 11 - Distinction
Unit 7 - Distinction
Unit 1 - pass
Unit 2 - pass
Unit 3 - pass
Unit 4 - near pass
Unit 19 - Distinction
I didn’t do unit 14. The only units I’ve got left to do is unit 6, unit 8 and unit 6. Unit 6 part 1 I’ve got a distinction.
Thank you so much.
Below are each of the units I’ve done and the grade.
Unit 5 - merit
Unit 12 - Distinction
Unit 11 - Distinction
Unit 7 - Distinction
Unit 1 - pass
Unit 2 - pass
Unit 3 - pass
Unit 4 - near pass
Unit 19 - Distinction
I didn’t do unit 14. The only units I’ve got left to do is unit 6, unit 8 and unit 6. Unit 6 part 1 I’ve got a distinction.

You've listed your grades for 9 units, and then said that you've still got 2 units to go: units 6 and 8. That's 11 units in total. The Pearson BTEC Level 3
National Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care is a 13-unit qualification, as you can see on page 3 of the specification here and in the extract below:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - Unit Count.JPG

Any idea what the two "missing" units might be?

You said above that "i got my assignment back today and was capped at a pass, which means I need to resubmit for a pass." Later you said, "The assignment which was capped at a pass, I tried my best it was so hard. I’m just scared I may fail. I have another assignment coming soon. It’s in 2 parts." Is this Unit 8 (Promoting Public Health)? I assume it's not Unit 6 (Work Experience in Health and Social Care), as you say you got a distinction in one of the two assignments required for that unit. Or perhaps this is one of the two "missing" units (see above)?
You've listed your grades for 9 units, and then said that you've still got 2 units to go: units 6 and 8. That's 11 units in total. The Pearson BTEC Level 3
National Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care is a 13-unit qualification, as you can see on page 3 of the specification here and in the extract below:

You said above that "i got my assignment back today and was capped at a pass, which means I need to resubmit for a pass." Later you said, "The assignment which was capped at a pass, I tried my best it was so hard. I’m just scared I may fail. I have another assignment coming soon. It’s in 2 parts." Is this Unit 8 (Promoting Public Health)? I assume it's not Unit 6 (Work Experience in Health and Social Care), as you say you got a distinction in one of the two assignments required for that unit. Or perhaps this is one of the two "missing" units (see above)?

Yes it’s unit 8 it’s in 2 parts, unit 6 is also in two parts which I mentioned earlier, I got a distinction in one. Alongside, unit 10 which is also in two parts.

I forgot to mention unit 10, sorry.
I forgot to mention unit 10, sorry.

OK. We're still one unit short. Your list in post #10 provides the grade for 9 units and says you have units 6 and 8 to go. Now we know you also have unit 10 to go. That's 12 units. There should be 13.

Yes it’s unit 8 it’s in 2 parts, unit 6 is also in two parts which I mentioned earlier, I got a distinction in one. Alongside, unit 10 which is also in two parts.

Ah, that's not ideal. Unit 8 is a mandatory unit - meaning you must pass it to pass the BTEC overall. Have you read through this TSR thread entitled "BTEC H&S Care Unit 8: Promoting Public Health Distinction Work Explained"? It goes through it in quite a lot of detail, and may well help you. From the replies, it certainly seems to have helped others. The thread's owner, @Starlight15, is still active on TSR (and is a Study Forum Helper) so if you tag them into any specific questions you have, they may well be able to help you out.
OK. We're still one unit short. Your list in post #10 provides the grade for 9 units and says you have units 6 and 8 to go. Now we know you also have unit 10 to go. That's 12 units. There should be 13.

Ah, that's not ideal. Unit 8 is a mandatory unit - meaning you must pass it to pass the BTEC overall. Have you read through this TSR thread entitled "BTEC H&S Care Unit 8: Promoting Public Health Distinction Work Explained"? It goes through it in quite a lot of detail, and may well help you. From the replies, it certainly seems to have helped others. The thread's owner, @Starlight15, is still active on TSR (and is a Study Forum Helper) so if you tag them into any specific questions you have, they may well be able to help you out.

Yes that’s true. It was very hard. Thank you for your help tho.
Once I get a pass in unit 8 part 1 and let’s say a merit in part 2 what would I get overall? Alongside, unit 6 distinction overall and let’s say a distinction overall in unit 10, would I still be able to achieve a DMM overall.
Is it possible that universities might accept those that have an MMM?
Sorry for a lot of questions

Hi there
just wanted to say good luck with whatever happens :smile:

best wishes

Emily <3
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
just wanted to say good luck with whatever happens :smile:

best wishes

Emily <3

thank you so much. it's been so hard.
i do hope I get into university. the university that I want to go to, requires a DMM, if i end up getting a MMM is it likely that they would accept me?
Yes that’s true. It was very hard. Thank you for your help tho.

You're very welcome.

Once I get a pass in unit 8 part 1 and let’s say a merit in part 2 what would I get overall? Alongside, unit 6 distinction overall and let’s say a distinction overall in unit 10, would I still be able to achieve a DMM overall.

A unit grade "is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria." So if Unit 8 part 1 was a pass, and part 2 was a merit, then Unit 8 would be treated as a pass.

We're still down one optional unit, but if we assume that you get a distinction in that too (as you seem to get distinctions in all the internal units, with the exception of Unit 5 (merit) and Unit 8 (which we're assuming will be a pass), then you'd be at DDM overall. See below.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - t=7338711 - DDM.JPG

Note that I've include Unit 9 as the "missing" unit. Let me know once you work out what unit is actually missing. As a reminder, I've assumed that in each external (examined) unit you scored the mid-point within that grade (pass or near pass, as applicable).

If we take a more pessimistic view, and assume you just scraped the grades you did in the external (examined) units - i.e. you got the lowest score you could to obtain the grade you did, then overall you'd be at a DMM.

Is it possible that universities might accept those that have an MMM?

Yes, they might. What will happen shortly before results day is that the universities will go through the results and confirm the place of all "firm" candidates who have met their offer grades. Then they'll do the same for "insurance" candidates whose firm choice opted not to take them. At this point, they'll look at what places they have left on each course, and check the results of any firm / insurance candidates who just missed their offer grades. If they have space left, they can opt to confirm the places for some or all of these candidates too (e.g. MMM candidates). They could also opt not to confirm this places, and instead open the course to applicants via UCAS Clearing. It's all a numbers game really, and even they don't know how many applicants will meet their offers grades, and how many (if any) will be "near miss" candidates. So it's impossible to say how likely a scenario this is.

Sorry for a lot of questions

No need to apologise. Keep asking as many questions as you like. :smile:
A DDM uni likely accepts near miss students on to thier course many a times anyway. If I'm being blunt.
You're very welcome.

A unit grade "is given simply according to the highest level for which the learner is judged to have met all the criteria." So if Unit 8 part 1 was a pass, and part 2 was a merit, then Unit 8 would be treated as a pass.

We're still down one optional unit, but if we assume that you get a distinction in that too (as you seem to get distinctions in all the internal units, with the exception of Unit 5 (merit) and Unit 8 (which we're assuming will be a pass), then you'd be at DDM overall. See below.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - t=7338711 - DDM.JPG

Note that I've include Unit 9 as the "missing" unit. Let me know once you work out what unit is actually missing. As a reminder, I've assumed that in each external (examined) unit you scored the mid-point within that grade (pass or near pass, as applicable).

If we take a more pessimistic view, and assume you just scraped the grades you did in the external (examined) units - i.e. you got the lowest score you could to obtain the grade you did, then overall you'd be at a DMM.

Yes, they might. What will happen shortly before results day is that the universities will go through the results and confirm the place of all "firm" candidates who have met their offer grades. Then they'll do the same for "insurance" candidates whose firm choice opted not to take them. At this point, they'll look at what places they have left on each course, and check the results of any firm / insurance candidates who just missed their offer grades. If they have space left, they can opt to confirm the places for some or all of these candidates too (e.g. MMM candidates). They could also opt not to confirm this places, and instead open the course to applicants via UCAS Clearing. It's all a numbers game really, and even they don't know how many applicants will meet their offers grades, and how many (if any) will be "near miss" candidates. So it's impossible to say how likely a scenario this is.

No need to apologise. Keep asking as many questions as you like. :smile:

Okay thanks so much for your help. Even if i got a merit there is a likely chance I’m still able to get a DMM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending