The Student Room Group

English

Hey guys. Firstly, I am really good, by really I mean realllllllllly good, at Math but then no matter how much I try I cannot get past grade 6 in English. I did a perfect one for my mock's and in the end I got a grade 5 with all the perfect grammar, spelling and punctuation. Like seriously. And one of my friends who did her plan the night before and was revising during lunch got a grade 9.Do you guys have any tips, so that I get al least get a grade 7 in my GCSE's?
Are you talking about language/literature or both?

So I’m doing my GCSEs this year and I got 9s in both in my mocks and really the most important thing is to know the mark schemes:
For literature you need to make sure you’re hitting all the levels (what exam board are you doing?) for my exam I have to write about AO1:understanding (responses and references), AO2:Analyses (language, structure and technical devices) and AO3:context( history of the time and it’s place in the rest of the novel/play). It’s important to hit all of these ideas or you’ll be capped at a certain level. Physics and maths tutor has some great analysis for some of the texts that’s really useful and I’d recommend reading a load of model answers and stealing a bunch of ideas/ words (examiners love a fancy word like didactic, proxy, archetypal, usurpation)

For language I find it hard to explain how to do better because in a way some of it is just natural ability as my teacher once said. It’s difficult to explain how to be perceptive and have high level analysis but I would say just really think outside of the box. For language based questions pick out an individual word from a quote and think of as many things relating to that word as you can linking to it. It doestn matter how far fetched it is as long as you can back it up. Also link similar ideas and quotes together and maybe try to think of an alternate view to what you’ve already stated. But other than that it’s but practice practice practice! Read examples, get your teacher to mark yours and watch me bruff/ mr everything English/ Mr salles.

Hope that’s helpful
Original post by Day_light
Hey guys. Firstly, I am really good, by really I mean realllllllllly good, at Math but then no matter how much I try I cannot get past grade 6 in English. I did a perfect one for my mock's and in the end I got a grade 5 with all the perfect grammar, spelling and punctuation. Like seriously. And one of my friends who did her plan the night before and was revising during lunch got a grade 9.Do you guys have any tips, so that I get al least get a grade 7 in my GCSE's?
I went from a 5 in my mocks for both lit and lang, and achieved a 9 in the real thing. I was in a very similar situation to you, I found maths super easy but whatever I did I just couldn’t seem to do better in English. I definitely relate to see people seemingly doing very little revision for English and still managing to get out with 9s.

For lit working out what the authors main purpose is for writing the story as in what sort of message they are trying to portray, and how they use their characters and themes to achieve that. Then base most of your essay on this main idea, they really like to see how you can link things together. Poetry is a bit more tricky but also follows a similar sort of method, where you identify what you think poets main message is and how each line/word contributes to this. In the end learning quotes really isn’t too important obviously it’s vital you have some but you’ll get a lot further with critical analysis than just have tons of quotes. Also don’t neglect unseen poetry because that’s one where you can get marks without putting revision in your poems or books.

For language it’s just all about learning what the markers want, especially in the comprehension once you learn exactly what they want you to write about and how many points you need, you should be able to get close to full marks. In the creative writing ensure you know what makes a good story, not being to adventurous keeping it all quite simple. Maybe plan a couple beforehand because the plans can usually be adapted on the fly to the prompts.

Hope that helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by auroraflight
I went from a 5 in my mocks for both lit and lang, and achieved a 9 in the real thing. I was in a very similar situation to you, I found maths super easy but whatever I did I just couldn’t seem to do better in English. I definitely relate to see people seemingly doing very little revision for English and still managing to get out with 9s.
For lit working out what the authors main purpose is for writing the story as in what sort of message they are trying to portray, and how they use their characters and themes to achieve that. Then base most of your essay on this main idea, they really like to see how you can link things together. Poetry is a bit more tricky but also follows a similar sort of method, where you identify what you think poets main message is and how each line/word contributes to this. In the end learning quotes really isn’t too important obviously it’s vital you have some but you’ll get a lot further with critical analysis than just have tons of quotes. Also don’t neglect unseen poetry because that’s one where you can get marks without putting revision in your poems or books.
For language it’s just all about learning what the markers want, especially in the comprehension once you learn exactly what they want you to write about and how many points you need, you should be able to get close to full marks. In the creative writing ensure you know what makes a good story, not being to adventurous keeping it all quite simple. Maybe plan a couple beforehand because the plans can usually be adapted on the fly to the prompts.
Hope that helps!!
thank you very much
Reply 4
Yes, a simple tip is to get a study partner
Reply 5
Original post by Amonraley2
Are you talking about language/literature or both?
So I’m doing my GCSEs this year and I got 9s in both in my mocks and really the most important thing is to know the mark schemes:
For literature you need to make sure you’re hitting all the levels (what exam board are you doing?) for my exam I have to write about AO1:understanding (responses and references), AO2:Analyses (language, structure and technical devices) and AO3:context( history of the time and it’s place in the rest of the novel/play). It’s important to hit all of these ideas or you’ll be capped at a certain level. Physics and maths tutor has some great analysis for some of the texts that’s really useful and I’d recommend reading a load of model answers and stealing a bunch of ideas/ words (examiners love a fancy word like didactic, proxy, archetypal, usurpation)
For language I find it hard to explain how to do better because in a way some of it is just natural ability as my teacher once said. It’s difficult to explain how to be perceptive and have high level analysis but I would say just really think outside of the box. For language based questions pick out an individual word from a quote and think of as many things relating to that word as you can linking to it. It doestn matter how far fetched it is as long as you can back it up. Also link similar ideas and quotes together and maybe try to think of an alternate view to what you’ve already stated. But other than that it’s but practice practice practice! Read examples, get your teacher to mark yours and watch me bruff/ mr everything English/ Mr salles.
Hope that’s helpful
I was talking about cause I am really bad at both of them.
I think our school's exam board is Eduqas.
Once I asked my teacher to mark one of the extract responses of Macbeth after class but then she just said that I did pretty well and when I asked for an approximate grade she said that she didn't know. Also, just because we are in bottom set she says something that will get us a grade 9 like write an intro / outro in the reading paper but then she just says we don't need to learn that yet like I am in year 10 and we will be doing our GCSE's next year and she still isn't tell us everything that we should be learning about. It just gets on my nerves.

Thank you very much, I will try but honestly at this point I just believe that it depends on the teacher and the teachers mood.
I was talking about cause I am really bad at both of them.
I think our school's exam board is Eduqas.
Once I asked my teacher to mark one of the extract responses of Macbeth after class but then she just said that I did pretty well and when I asked for an approximate grade she said that she didn't know. Also, just because we are in bottom set she says something that will get us a grade 9 like write an intro / outro in the reading paper but then she just says we don't need to learn that yet like I am in year 10 and we will be doing our GCSE's next year and she still isn't tell us everything that we should be learning about. It just gets on my nerves.
Thank you very much, I will try but honestly at this point I just believe that it depends on the teacher and the teachers mood.
Yeah true on that, the marks you get is heavily dependent on the examiner. For our english lit mocks, our class all got really low compared to other classes, even the grade 9 students, but were marked much higher by our separate teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest