The Student Room Group

English as a second language IGCSE AQA

When universities in the UK ask for GCSE english at grade 5 or whatever can I use English as a second language IGCSE AQA or will I not be able to apply
Original post by fare022
When universities in the UK ask for GCSE english at grade 5 or whatever can I use English as a second language IGCSE AQA or will I not be able to apply

Most universities ask for grade 4 GCSE and some ask higher depending on the course you intend. However that is for UK students. For overseas there are different ways of showing your English Language is of appropriate standard and IELTS is the most common. There are other ways as well. If you are an overseas applicant contact the international office of the universities you are interested in. They will tell you what you need to do to reach the English requirement for their university.
Reply 2
Some Unis will ask for different grades where the English qualification is 'as a second language' - just email each Uni and ask, but even if what you already have isnt high enough then you still have until July/August to sit IELTS etc to meet that requirement.
To add to what McGinger said, it's very likely you'll have to sit an additional English test - usually the IELTS or TOEFL, regarless of your IGCSE English score. You don't need to have taken them before you've applied and universities will specify on your offer conditions whether if they want you to take one of these or not.
Original post by Scotland Yard
To add to what McGinger said, it's very likely you'll have to sit an additional English test - usually the IELTS or TOEFL, regarless of your IGCSE English score. You don't need to have taken them before you've applied and universities will specify on your offer conditions whether if they want you to take one of these or not.

Universities have many different methods of proving your English is of an acceptable standard and each university has their own rules, IELTS and TOEFL are the most common but there really are so many ways the only way to find out is by checking with each university. Sometimes GCSE or A levels are accepted and you might be able to sit a course in a university before starting. See below info from Exeter university. These include
Grade D in English at A or AS level.
Grade B in IGCSE as a second language.
Grade C in Singapore Cambridge O level English
Malaysian SPM CEFR- aligned English language examination (After Year 2021) B2 overall with B2 in all components

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending