The Student Room Group

vet med gcse grades

hi, i am a year 12 student wanting to study veterinary medicine in the future, i am worried that my gcse grades are not good enough especially as my stem subjects are weaker but was wondering if i did a lot of work experience and got good predicted grades whether they would still be okay to apply with. i got:
english language -9
drama -9
biology -8
history -8
english lit- 8
art-8
geography -7
maths -6
chem-6
spanish-6
physics -5

i know that my 6 in chemistry does hold me back from applying to some of the unis. but for unis such as bristol that dont have as high gcse requirements would these be acceptable?? thank you
For vet med, you want to be able to apply for as many universities as possible (4) to increase your chances of getting a place. It’s a very competitive course so I would definitely recommend you hit all the requirements academic wise to be able to get through to questions/SJT & interview stage. If your chemistry only meets Bristol, then I would recommend you re-sit it to increase your chances
Original post by oliviaparisx
For vet med, you want to be able to apply for as many universities as possible (4) to increase your chances of getting a place. It’s a very competitive course so I would definitely recommend you hit all the requirements academic wise to be able to get through to questions/SJT & interview stage. If your chemistry only meets Bristol, then I would recommend you re-sit it to increase your chances

i have researched and there are others such as lancashire, glasgow and edinburgh so i am hoping it will be okay
Original post by josierossiter
i have researched and there are others such as lancashire, glasgow and edinburgh so i am hoping it will be okay

Are you from England/Wales or a Scottish applicant? As Glasgow and Edinburgh only have a small amount of places for RUK students. If you’re Scottish or international, then applying for the two Scottish uni’s makes sense/would be fine. But if you’re RUK, I would recommend you look at places available per intake as getting a place at either one of the Scottish is a slimmer chance than some where there are more places available for English applicants (technically) - If that makes sense
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by oliviaparisx
Are you from England/Wales or a Scottish applicant? As Glasgow and Edinburgh only have a small amount of places for RUK students. If you’re Scottish or international, then applying for the two Scottish uni’s makes sense/would be fine. But if you’re RUK, I would recommend you look at places available per intake as getting a place at either one of the Scottish is a slimmer chance than some where there are more places available for English applicants (technically) - If that makes sense

oh thank you i had no idea about that, i think i’ll have to have a proper look at all the options x

Quick Reply

Latest