The Student Room Group

economics ba vs bsc

what is the difference between economics ba and bsc and are the jobs available after similar, love
Reply 1
hey!
im not completely sure as im applying for all bsc, but i do know that a ba is not as mathematically based as a bsc in econ, so your grade for further maths (or even if u take it or not) might not matter as much,
and the course wont be as maths heavy so it depends if u like maths or not !
Original post by ramare23
what is the difference between economics ba and bsc and are the jobs available after similar, love

BA will have more emphasis on the theoretical areas of Economics and is less maths-intensive and so you won't be required to have a Maths A-Level (most of the time).

BSc on the other hand is more technical and maths-heavy. The jobs will be similar (I think, not too sure) but the BSc may have a slight advantage because the Maths based content may be preferred more by the investment bankers etc
Original post by gregregregreg
BA will have more emphasis on the theoretical areas of Economics and is less maths-intensive and so you won't be required to have a Maths A-Level (most of the time).

BSc on the other hand is more technical and maths-heavy. The jobs will be similar (I think, not too sure) but the BSc may have a slight advantage because the Maths based content may be preferred more by the investment bankers etc

There's two issues with this.

1) BA Economics courses are typically less theoretical than BSc equivalents, they're more applied. The more mathematical parts of economics degrees are the theoretical aspects. Take econometrics for example, in a BSc you'll spend more time formally deriving various regression models (e.g. OLS) using calculus and linear algebra, in BA courses you're likely to spend less time on the actual derivations and more time on why you use xyz model and how to use this in whatever statistical software the course uses (e.g. Stata/EViews/R/Python).

2. If you think investment banking is a quantitative profession, you don't understand investment banking. The work uses secondary school level maths and excel, so to think IB's prefer BSc's over BA's is misguided, as is the assumption that recruiters will even know the difference between the quantity of quantitative training in a BA Econ course from X university versus a BSc Econ course from y university.

The real answer is that the BA/BSc distinction only matters if the university offers both BA/BSc courses, in which case the BA's are typically less mathematically rigorous, less theoretical and spends more time on applied and policy questions. Literally no firm (including economics ones) will spend the time to study the modules in various BA/BSc courses to think "oh this candidate is probably stronger than that candidate given they have a BSc". Firms mainly care about your internship/work experience, your skills, and the reputation of your uni (probably in that order).

Personally I think the distinction only matters if you're actually looking to become a professional economist, in this case I think the more quantitative training in a BSc is helpful during an MSc and your day-to-day work, though remember that some BSc's are far more quantitative than some BA's. If you're wanting to go into finance, very little of your degree will be relevant to the role anyway, so I wouldn't overestimate the distinction between a BA/BSc, just go to the best uni you can get into for economics - most quantitative roles in finance are done by those with STEM degrees or PhDs, so the BA/BSc distinction isn't super important.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending