The Student Room Group

University options, urgent!!

I am really confused now and I hope I can have bits of advice! I am an international student and am applying to UK universities. I'm applying for occupational therapy and I got ABB as my predicted grades with one B that I got from last year’s A level. ( total abbb )
I had a chat with my teacher about which university should I apply to, but still, I’m not confident about the university should I put in.
She told me I can apply for the University of Southampton / University of Cardiff and UEA according to my grades but I am aware that is very difficult to get in and I’m not sure if is it good enough as I have been told u need As for Southampton’s therapy courses. So idk will it be too risky since they are quite famous universities.
At the same time, just wondering which university I can possibly apply to and get the offers "safer" ?
Original post by Dorisssss
I am really confused now and I hope I can have bits of advice! I am an international student and am applying to UK universities. I'm applying for occupational therapy and I got ABB as my predicted grades with one B that I got from last year’s A level. ( total abbb )
I had a chat with my teacher about which university should I apply to, but still, I’m not confident about the university should I put in.
She told me I can apply for the University of Southampton / University of Cardiff and UEA according to my grades but I am aware that is very difficult to get in and I’m not sure if is it good enough as I have been told u need As for Southampton’s therapy courses. So idk will it be too risky since they are quite famous universities.
At the same time, just wondering which university I can possibly apply to and get the offers "safer" ?

It wont matter which degree you do - they are all accredited degrees, training to the same standard and with the same syllabus.
You need to look carefully at each course and think about which Uni has the most 'healthcare' facilities, the most attractive placement system - and the sort of Uni you want to go to, ie. big, small, city campus etc.

It's honestly a hit or miss... even people who exceed admissions requirements might find themselves without an offer if the circumstances aren't in their favor that year.

Regardless, when applying, many people tend to apply to two "insurance" schools (very easy to get into, you exceed requirements), one-two "mid" schools (you meet the requirements, harder admissions process), and one-two "dream" schools.

Instead of applying strictly to schools that you are not confident in, try to do more research and vary the schools you apply to. Keep those original schools you mentioned, but research schools that might be lower ranking for your "insurance." Some places to start might be schools like the University of Sussex, Nottingham Trent, etc... these tend to be great insurance schools as their admissions rates are favorable.

Hi @Dorisssss

I'm Katie and I am currently a 2nd year MSc Occupational Therapy student at the University of Southampton. My course is pre-registration so run in a very similar way to the undergraduate course that you're applying for.

Unfortunatley, I am unable to say whether or not you'd be offered a place, I agree with the above advice! It's always good to apply for courses that are varied between above, within and below predicted grades.

If you have any questions about the University of Southampton or the Occupational Therapy course here please let me know and I'll do my best to assist!!

Katie
University of Southampton rep :smile:
Reply 4
Hi,

I originally applied for medicine but got 4 rejections because my BMAT was low and got rejected from my backup biomed at UCL. But I'm predicted A*AAA in psych, chem maths and bio. I'm now thinking to apply to occupational therapy through UCAS extra. Is there still space in Southampton and do you think I''ve got a chance of getting in applying this late? Thank you!!!
Original post by RA_19
Hi,

I originally applied for medicine but got 4 rejections because my BMAT was low and got rejected from my backup biomed at UCL. But I'm predicted A*AAA in psych, chem maths and bio. I'm now thinking to apply to occupational therapy through UCAS extra. Is there still space in Southampton and do you think I''ve got a chance of getting in applying this late? Thank you!!!

Hello

4th year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
Well done on your predicted grades! I am sorry to hear about the rejections, but really good to see you plan things and carry on.
Unfortunatley, I am unable to say whether or not there is still a place, or advise you about your chances. However the admission’s team would be the best to answer these questions, you can reach out to them at [email protected] or by phone +44(0)23 8059 5000

Hope this is helpful! Don’t hesitate if you have any other questions

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by RA_19
Hi,

If you search on UCAS for your course and add the filter 'Search course with vacancies', Southampton is listed. However, you need to ring Southampton to check if the course is still open to applications before you apply (as UCAS isn't always up to date).

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Occupational%20Therapy&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&attendanceTypes=Full-time&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&startDates=09%2F2023&startDates=10%2F2023&pageNumber=3&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending