The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TheUnbeliever
When in doubt, fabricate. The basis of all good science. :tongue:

(I've finished my experiments, as of this morning; I now have until Friday to actually write the content of my investigation - I've done the layout, set up headings and tables of contents and what not, but only actually written a couple hundred words.)

Pfft! The words of a mathematician :p:

I would work flat out on it if I were you, It took me far longer than expected to write up my report, especially as by the end of it I was far more into it and wanted to change a lot of the earlier stuff...
TheUnbeliever
When in doubt, fabricate. The basis of all good science. :tongue:

(I've finished my experiments, as of this morning; I now have until Friday to actually write the content of my investigation - I've done the layout, set up headings and tables of contents and what not, but only actually written a couple hundred words.)

Physics is more or less finished - althoguh about 8000 words plus. Bit overkill

Problem is I've worn myself out for the Chemistry one - it needs tweaking but procrastinating on here isfar more enticing.
abstraction98
Physics is more or less finished - althoguh about 8000 words plus. Bit overkill

Problem is I've worn myself out for the Chemistry one - it needs tweaking but procrastinating on here isfar more enticing.

Holy crap, I thought I was bad with 6000 :eek:

My chemistry is a complete joke though, It should get decent enough marks as apparently it's all the right level but i basically mixed some chemicals together and measured their absorbance. Practical took a couple of hours and write up not much longer... I don't like how some investigations can be so little work and some can be pretty intense. But with chemistry at least, I don't mind too much :p:
Meteorshower

My chemistry is a complete joke though, It should get decent enough marks as apparently it's all the right level but i basically mixed some chemicals together and measured their absorbance. Practical took a couple of hours and write up not much longer... I don't like how some investigations can be so little work and some can be pretty intense. But with chemistry at least, I don't mind too much :p:

Yeh. I derived every equation and one took four pages.. silly really, but its what I'm interested in.

I found that Chemistry was far too basic too. I had the thermodynamics of a fuel cell which involved, making so,e hydrogen, burning some hydrogen and turning the fuel cell on. Ive tried to make it sound fancy but theres only so mcuh you can do.

The lack of uncertainties is a relief though.
abstraction98
Yeh. I derived every equation and one took four pages.. silly really, but its what I'm interested in.

I found that Chemistry was far too basic too. I had the thermodynamics of a fuel cell which involved, making so,e hydrogen, burning some hydrogen and turning the fuel cell on. Ive tried to make it sound fancy but theres only so mcuh you can do.

The lack of uncertainties is a relief though.

I derived equations but they were all fairly simple, apart from one which was still only a page. What kind of monster did you have that needed 4 :eek:

Yeah, you should have made some paracetomol and compared different brands. There's a lot in their that isn't basic at all.

*hopes that joke isn't too tenuous*
Meteorshower
I derived equations but they were all fairly simple, apart from one which was still only a page. What kind of monster did you have that needed 4 :eek:

Yeah, you should have made some paracetomol and compared different brands. There's a lot in their that isn't basic at all.

Rydberg constant. To be honest it could be condensed to about 3 or 3 pages. I padded it out showing where hte stuff came from. Its a bit of dead end, technically wrong, phyiscs anyway.

I take it that was your experiment?
Meteorshower
Pfft! The words of a mathematician :p:

:yep: I'm not much of a practical physicist, I must admit.

Oh dear. I wasn't really planning on writing another 10,000 words. I'd hope that I could be concise... but sadly, that's not really my skill either! Certainly I'm planning on working fairly seriously on it - this is only the first draft anyway.

There's a lot in their that isn't basic at all.

Groan!
abstraction98
Rydberg constant. To be honest it could be condensed to about 3 or 3 pages. I padded it out showing where hte stuff came from. Its a bit of dead end, technically wrong, phyiscs anyway.

I take it that was your experiment?

No, It was a PPA that could be an investigation and it involved a lot of acid so it's not very basic... :p:

I shall look up this Rydberg constant
Meteorshower

My physics teacher always went on about producing just above the minimum word count but produce it to a good enough standard that's going to get you most if not all of the marks. Apparently somebody one time showed some initiative and went to a car factory and observed the windtunnels for his Bernoulli effect project. Came back with an 10000 word behemoth but in terms of physics perfectly sound project which received only 12 marks. Turned out the marker had no clue what he was on about and was only able to give full marks for the uncertainties.

Well I guess that recommendation's only valid if you've written something :rolleyes: (unlike someone here)

I have Easter to write mine if I can get the results this week :s-smilie:
Meteorshower

You're bloody joking. Mine has taken weeks! The stupid thing doesn't even work.
ukdragon37
My physics teacher always went on about producing just above the minimum word count but produce it to a good enough standard that's going to get you most if not all of the marks. Apparently somebody one time showed some initiative and went to a car factory and observed the windtunnels for his Bernoulli effect project. Came back with an 10000 word behemoth but in terms of physics perfectly sound project which received only 12 marks. Turned out the marker had no clue what he was on about and was only able to give full marks for the uncertainties.

Well I guess that recommendation's only valid if you've written something :rolleyes: (unlike someone here)

I was worried about this, but i've made sure I don't have anything superfluous in it and my presentation etc is pretty clear. To recieve 12 marks you need to have an awful lot wrong with the report really, more than just a lack of clarity :s-smilie:
Meteorshower
I was worried about this, but i've made sure I don't have anything superfluous in it and my presentation etc is pretty clear. To recieve 12 marks you need to have an awful lot wrong with the report really, more than just a lack of clarity :s-smilie:

The marker probably seriously doubted whether the equations he was quoting was real or was just invented out of thin air. It's not right though that you should accommodate for how much the marker knows about physics.

Hopefully I'll still be able to get good marks with only 3000 words or so
OriginofSymmetry
You're bloody joking. Mine has taken weeks! The stupid thing doesn't even work.

Hehe there are a couple of people in my class who are pretty annoyed at me for how little effort it took compared to theirs :p:
Reply 893
ukdragon37

I intend to do the same for biology. I have around two hundred reps to get through in order to obtain anything worth using in that time. :frown:
ukdragon37
The marker probably seriously doubted whether the equations he was quoting was real or was just invented out of thin air. It's not right though that you should accommodate for how much the marker knows about physics.

Hopefully I'll still be able to get good marks with only 3000 words or so

With proper references it shouldn't really matter if the marker knows about it.

What I find shocking is that for chemistry at least (not sure about physics) they grade all the markers on their ability to mark accurately to the schemes, and still use the crappest ones XD I suppose they have to though.
Meteorshower
Hehe there are a couple of people in my class who are pretty annoyed at me for how little effort it took compared to theirs :p:

I've emailed Glasgow Uni for help so hopefully I'll be able to settle on charge-to-mass ratio as my project. If it all goes well I'll have my results by the end of a day... Although I don't know what I'll do if they refuse to help me :frown:
Is there a forum for AH Physics help??? I have a few questions...
hannahishbel
Is there a forum for AH Physics help??? I have a few questions...

There's a thread on the first page of Scottish Qualifications.

Latest

Trending

Trending