The Student Room Group

which advanced higher ??

hi !
i have to do course choice in roughly 2 weeks and stuck with what to pick ! planning on doing two advanced highers: i’m defo gonna do adv higher french but should i do adv higher english or adv higher business with that?
in higher english prelims i’ve been a mark or two away from an A but i got an A at nat5 and in higher business prelims i’ve been getting As but got a B at nat5
anyone done either of the two ? what did you like/dislike about the course ? was it really different from higher ?
thanks in advance !! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by duplicate-cat
hi !
i have to do course choice in roughly 2 weeks and stuck with what to pick ! planning on doing two advanced highers: i’m defo gonna do adv higher french but should i do adv higher english or adv higher business with that?
in higher english prelims i’ve been a mark or two away from an A but i got an A at nat5 and in higher business prelims i’ve been getting As but got a B at nat5
anyone done either of the two ? what did you like/dislike about the course ? was it really different from higher ?
thanks in advance !! :smile:

I can’t speak for business but I did take AH English! The great thing about it is that 60% of your marks come from coursework.

30% from a dissertation - this is a 3,500 word independent study of a text. This is a lot of work, but is not painful if you enjoy the book your doing. Everyone in class has to do a different book, so it depends how much you read and if you enjoy analysis. I really enjoyed this - hardest part was cutting it down!

30% is then from a folio piece - this can be anything from an argumentative piece on something your passionate about to a fantasy poem. Again this is quite independent, as you have complete control over what you want to do.

This is nice since it can be sent away and if you’re happy you can go into the exam very confidently.

In the exam

20% comes from a textual analysis. This is basically RUAE except instead of having lots of questions to answer, there’s just one question and you write a response. I actually have found this easier than RUAE as it’s less restrictive.

20% finally comes from a critical essay - this is similar to nat5, where you study a text in class and then write a response having memorised quotes. The questions are more broad, and you can be asked almost anything. I again have not found this hard at all!

I’ve really enjoyed advanced English and I know it seems like lots of work but as long as you understand this and put in some effort by yourself from the beginning it is not as bad as it seems! Do you know what you want to do once you leave school?
Original post by M2006
I can’t speak for business but I did take AH English! The great thing about it is that 60% of your marks come from coursework.
30% from a dissertation - this is a 3,500 word independent study of a text. This is a lot of work, but is not painful if you enjoy the book your doing. Everyone in class has to do a different book, so it depends how much you read and if you enjoy analysis. I really enjoyed this - hardest part was cutting it down!
30% is then from a folio piece - this can be anything from an argumentative piece on something your passionate about to a fantasy poem. Again this is quite independent, as you have complete control over what you want to do.
This is nice since it can be sent away and if you’re happy you can go into the exam very confidently.
In the exam
20% comes from a textual analysis. This is basically RUAE except instead of having lots of questions to answer, there’s just one question and you write a response. I actually have found this easier than RUAE as it’s less restrictive.
20% finally comes from a critical essay - this is similar to nat5, where you study a text in class and then write a response having memorised quotes. The questions are more broad, and you can be asked almost anything. I again have not found this hard at all!
I’ve really enjoyed advanced English and I know it seems like lots of work but as long as you understand this and put in some effort by yourself from the beginning it is not as bad as it seems! Do you know what you want to do once you leave school?

hi !! thank you so so much for your detailed response ! i ended up choosing neither and just took advanced higher french lol
good luck for the future 🫶🫶

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending