The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ilora-Danon
I would never ever consider an engagement ring if it was a) 9ct gold or b) not a diamond.

For me, it's a platinum ring with a single diamond (preferably heart shaped) or nothing at all. Oh and it certainly wouldn't be from a high-street jewellers.

Haha, I'm a snob, but I don't care. You only get engaged once (well, in theory haha).

:ditto:

Sorry OP but I really dont like it :o:
Reply 61
Ilora-Danon
I would never ever consider an engagement ring if it was a) 9ct gold or b) not a diamond.

For me, it's a platinum ring with a single diamond (preferably heart shaped) or nothing at all. Oh and it certainly wouldn't be from a high-street jewellers.

Haha, I'm a snob, but I don't care. You only get engaged once (well, in theory haha).

Haha, same. Except not heart shaped for me. I'd just like a gorgeous princess cut or a round brilliant cut or something. Ideally he'd propose without a ring, and we'd go together to pick one.
I definitely agree with the fact that it should be a real diamond. If it means working extra then i think its worth it, you should only be getting married once and even if its quite a small diamond. Im not sure i like the trilogy effect either but thats only my opnion which means nothinggg!

I want this ring, never going to get it...but i love it, my aunt has something similar to it and its beautiful!

http://uk.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10015#p+1-n+6-cg+viewPaged-c+-s+0-r+-t+-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+0/0/0/0/0/0
I don't understand the whole idea of picking a ring together. How do you get proposed to then? I guess I just have an old fashioned idea of a marriage proposal, I would have been a bit miffed if he'd asked me without a ring tbh.
georgia
Haha looking at that, I would certainly not say no to this baby: http://uk.tiffany.com/Engagement/item.aspx?GroupSku=GRP10001&selectedSku=23872722#f+0/0/0/0/0/0

Especially if it was one of those '3 month salary' rings! :wink:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghghghghghghghhh *dies*

I want it so muuuuuuuchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Reply 66
don't get CZ!
Reply 67
Ilora-Danon

Sorry, I have to agree with this! And to be honest, I don't like the ring, however, its your engagement, choose what ring you like! :smile:
Reply 68
dita_parlo
I don't understand the whole idea of picking a ring together. How do you get proposed to then? I guess I just have an old fashioned idea of a marriage proposal, I would have been a bit miffed if he'd asked me without a ring tbh.

Well one of my fantasy proposals would be like the first proposal in Sweet Home Alabama (the film!) where he'd blindfold me, and take me somewhere secret, and it would turn out to be a huge jewelry store with a bazillion rings and I'd be able to pick whatever I liked.
georgia
Well one of my fantasy proposals would be like the first proposal in Sweet Home Alabama (the film!) where he'd blindfold me, and take me somewhere secret, and it would turn out to be a huge jewelry store with a bazillion rings and I'd be able to pick whatever I liked.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww *gush* :biggrin:
Reply 70
Ilora-Danon
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww *gush* :biggrin:

I know, it'd be fantastic!

However I'd be equally happy with being proposed to with a daisychain style ring or even a hula hoop so long as it was romantic, and we'd arrange a ring later on.
georgia

Oooooh I like that idea never thought of it that way!! Wow, the possibilities :biggrin:
OP, if you live near Glasgow, Argyll Arcade (between Buchanan Street and Argyle Street) contains only jewellers. I know some of them are really expensive but I imagine there's some less expensive ones? They've got a few high street stores but the others seem to be independent.

http://www.argyll-arcade.com/

I'm glad I don't want to get married as I don't suit rings (tiny hands) and don't like the look of engagement rings. :p:
georgia
Haha, same. Except not heart shaped for me. I'd just like a gorgeous princess cut or a round brilliant cut or something. Ideally he'd propose without a ring, and we'd go together to pick one.

In one of those romantic comedy films (Sweet Home Alabama) the guy proposes in a jewellers and gets her to choose the ring, it looks a lot better in the film than it sounds as I'm typing it! :smile:
Reply 74
Very Nice. =]
Reply 75
thewrong_girl
In one of those romantic comedy films the guy proposes in a jewellers and gets her to choose the ring, it looks a lot better in the film than it sounds as I'm typing it! :smile:

Yep, Sweet Home Alabama!
georgia
Yep, Sweet Home Alabama!

Someone already mentioned it but I hadn't read that far yet!

Also some people are saying that choosing together/girl choosing is unromantic but I'd prefer to choose together and get something I actually wanted than feel obligated to wear somethign that was wrong or impractical for my personal taste. :smile:
get something with diamonds in. and not from H.Samuel.
Reply 78
thewrong_girl
Someone already mentioned it but I hadn't read that far yet!

Also some people are saying that choosing together/girl choosing is unromantic but I'd prefer to choose together and get something I actually wanted than feel obligated to wear somethign that was wrong or impractical for my personal taste. :smile:

Haha yep, that would have been me :smile:

And I completely agree with your point there!
Reply 79
Elles
This is a topic I've been contemplating muchly recently... :biggrin:
It's obviously a personal taste/budget issue blah blah blah, BUT as you're asking I don't like it as an engagement ring:

- I would prefer something other than CZ, which I see as costume jewellery for cheap matching with an outfit or fun, big statement pieces, not something I'd want my engagement ring to be. Wouldn't necessarily need be diamond - there are some beautiful gemstones out there too.

- I'm not a fan of round cut stones - I find them boring.

- I wouldn't want a 5 stone engagement ring.
I see multistone rings as 'eternity style' - so after marriage at birth of children etc.

:zomg: .......Totally :ditto:

Latest