The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Phil23
fermats last theorum was the ost boring thing ever! i read first chapter, got bored, and left it

Don't listen to his lies children!! He will take you away from all that is good and true!!! Do not cross over to the dark side!! :rolleyes:

Does God play dice is a pretty heavy read, but still worth a go i think.
Taldarion
Don't listen to his lies children!! He will take you away from all that is good and true!!! Do not cross over to the dark side!! :rolleyes:

Does God play dice is a pretty heavy read, but still worth a go i think.

Yep, 'Does God Play Dice?' is pretty cool, it's all about chaos, but I agree it's a bit of a heavier read that 'Fermat's Last Theorem'. I enjoyed both though. :smile:

'From here to infinity' and 'Flatterland', both by Stewart are good too.
Reply 22
A Brief History of Infinity by Brian Clegg, is really good as well (even though i havent finished it yet, the ending might be a bit crap! :wink: !)
iluvcheesecake
Yep, 'Does God Play Dice?' is pretty cool, it's all about chaos, but I agree it's a bit of a heavier read that 'Fermat's Last Theorem'. I enjoyed both though. :smile:

'From here to infinity' and 'Flatterland', both by Stewart are good too.

heh, i remember talking about some of these in my cam interview - seems so long ago now.. if ur into non-linear dynamics, then read also chaos - by gleick or somebody i think, its v. gud read and complements stewart imo.
Reply 24
Those interested in Fermat's Last Theorem might want to download and watch this video - doesn't go into much maths as such, but as much as anything looks at the community surrounding the subject:
http://www.archive.org/movies/movies-details-db.php?collection=msri&collectionid=fermats_last_theorem&from=mostViewed&PHPSESSID=054a7ac82365991dc7e9252226c7e0c8
woah fast server, 3.4G? jiggabytes? omg. ill have to stream it instead.
if you have a fast conne. also look here. http://www.claymath.org/video/index.php plenty of interesting ones.
Reply 26
Read to the right, there are smaller file sized options...
oh yeh, thanks. :smile: (i assumed they were just streamed, sorry)
Reply 28
G. H. Hardy: A Mathematician's Apology
Littlewood's Miscellany
Roger Penrose- borderline maths/physics.
Reply 29
man who loved only numbers, brief history of time, and i agree does god play dice is a good book
Reply 30
Anyone read 'Imaginaing Numbers' - forgot who its by, but its basically a book on imaginary numbers. Think somewhere it (quite randomly) says 'particularly the square root of -15' - not started it yet, but bought it the other week, any opinions on it anyone?
distortedgav
Anyone read 'Imaginaing Numbers' - forgot who its by, but its basically a book on imaginary numbers. Think somewhere it (quite randomly) says 'particularly the square root of -15' - not started it yet, but bought it the other week, any opinions on it anyone?

i sortof remember reading something along those lines..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0374174695/102-3619231-1372909?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

was this the one? i must have a read one with a different cover, but it had basic history of complex no's, not too interesting but well worth reading anyway/
distortedgav

I have to admit that I never finished 'Imagining Numbers' mainly because I started reading it just before my Oxford interviews, and didn't get round to continuing it afterwards, so that reminded me that I needed to finish it off. Thanks :biggrin: . As far as I remember it seemed good as far as I got and is a good introduction to the idea of complex numbers. Probably worth a read :smile: . Oh and btw it is by Barry Mazur.
Reply 34
iluvcheesecake
I have to admit that I never finished 'Imagining Numbers' mainly because I started reading it just before my Oxford interviews, and didn't get round to continuing it afterwards, so that reminded me that I needed to finish it off. Thanks :biggrin: . As far as I remember it seemed good as far as I got and is a good introduction to the idea of complex numbers. Probably worth a read :smile: . Oh and btw it is by Barry Mazur.

The music of the primes has this cool bit i'm up to. This mathematician has a favourite book in which two mathematicians communicate by passing messages, which happen to be prime-numbers! They exceed the prime number tables this guy has, and the man thinks they they have a secret formula to give out primes:biggrin:

strange but true!:smile:...pretty cool if you ask me.

oh, and its about "Reimanns hypothesis" - rule to find way of predicting primes.
Phil23
The music of the primes has this cool bit i'm up to. This mathematician has a favourite book in which two mathematicians communicate by passing messages, which happen to be prime-numbers! They exceed the prime number tables this guy has, and the man thinks they they have a secret formula to give out primes:biggrin:

strange but true!:smile:...pretty cool if you ask me.

oh, and its about "Reimanns hypothesis" - rule to find way of predicting primes.

Cool. I went to a lecture by Marcus Du Satoy at the R.I. in London a while back and that was good, so I may have a look at that when I get a spare moment. :smile:
Reply 36
anyone heard of Jan Gullberg:

"mathematics: from the birth of numbers." My cousin has this book and i found it cool so brought...its like £39 on in shops but i got it for £20-something from amazon. Its cool in that its got maths proofs/facts/history as well, and a bit of biography on mathematicians too.

oh, and the "foundations of mathematics" is supposed to be good also.

PK
im thinking of getting a copy of how to prove it and how to solve it. (serach amazon)
It may not suit everyone's taste, but I enjoyed Robert Kaplan's 'The Art of the Infinite'. Simon Singh's books are good, if you like the whole 'history of how theory x came to be proved' then try Eli Maor's 'e: The Story of a Number'. Both good in their own way, but as I say, not necessarily to everyone's taste. Certainly not to the guy who found FLT boring... they're those kinds of books. Just my $0.02 :smile:
Reply 39
jumpunderaboat
Just finished Fermats Last Theorem by Simon Singh, worth a read. :smile:

Simon Singh has done 2 series of programmes for BBC Radio 4: Five Numbers and Another Five Numbers. 15 minutes each programme - short and thought-provoking. You can still hear them on the BBC Listen Again pages:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/5numbers.shtml

Worth a listen!

I've (nearly) read the Music of the Primes. I found it a bit too biographically detailed in places. I'd have preferred a briefer summary of the development of the thinking.

Aitch

Latest