The Student Room Group

It is possible to pass English and Maths GCSE using only the CGP books?

Adult learner here wanting to study English and Maths GCSE.

Is it possible to revise from the CGP books and that be enough to pass?

The only other option i have found are online courses for £400 etc...

The books are under a tenner.

Is it possible or would I be missing out?
Well first of all you need to make sure you can find an exam centre that is willing to accommodate you for the speaking part of GCSE English. Most private candidates take IGCSE English Language for that reason, as there is no speaking component (well, there is, but it's optional so nobody takes it).
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Well first of all you need to make sure you can find an exam centre that is willing to accommodate you for the speaking part of GCSE English. Most private candidates take IGCSE English Language for that reason, as there is no speaking component (well, there is, but it's optional so nobody takes it).

Yes, that's what ill be taking. English language, and maths. I could do courses online for £400 each, OR study the CGP books for £10 and then book the exam myself. There are a few exam centres near me.
I recommend maths genie https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/ plus the textbook for maths, that's doable.

English - I have no experience with doing that without a distance learning provider so I can't advise.

CGP books are great, but they don't always cover 100% of the content that you need. Unfortunately official textbooks like Edexcel ones are so dry.
Original post by Emmalouise87
Adult learner here wanting to study English and Maths GCSE.

Is it possible to revise from the CGP books and that be enough to pass?

The only other option i have found are online courses for £400 etc...

The books are under a tenner.

Is it possible or would I be missing out?

Hi, I think cgp gives great practice questions for maths and some good info for english (and yes, like @PinkMobilePhone said maths genie is amazing! and so is PMT)
For english york notes is pretty helpful, if you do a bit of research, you can get some of the pages online for free (or as sample pages) or you can just buy the actual books themselves.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest