The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
darkenergy
Why did the Americans shoot at the car? THey surely knew that the Italian hostage was in there and they still fired.[/QUOTE]

Don't be ridiculous.

"Hey Hank.....here comes that car with the Italian hostage that's just been released"
"I sure do hate Italians Bubba"
"Me too, let's light him up" :rolleyes:
Reply 141
[QUOTE="Howard"]
darkenergy
Why did the Americans shoot at the car? THey surely knew that the Italian hostage was in there and they still fired.[/QUOTE]

Don't be ridiculous.

"Hey Hank.....here comes that car with the Italian hostage that's just been released"
"I sure do hate Italians Bubba"
"Me too, let's light him up" :rolleyes:

hehe, I think the suggestion was that the Italians clearly informed the US that they had just paid some rather nasty terrorists millions of dollars for letting their woman watch TV and talk about Roma football club while being sporting enough to not to chop her head off. Of course, all the yanks had to do was turn a blind eye to an "out of control" Sedan and everyone would have been a winner. As it is though, the American "imbeciles", who dont "care about human life", decided that theyd "target" a communist journalist who they didnt particuarly take a shine to. Of course, had they really wanted her dead, she would be dead, so this was obviously a faked accident whereby the American plotters decided to instead seriously jeopardise US-Italian relationships by shooting dead an Italian agent, and letting the target walk free to accuse the US of murder.

Whatsmore, the Italians werent bothered that if it became known that they had been paying ransoms, it would place other Italians in serious jeopardy and thus there can be no suggestion that they thought theyd do this job on the quiet and if it all went wrong, point the finger at the US and let a commy rag direct the worlds media.
Reply 142
vienna95
hehe, I think the suggestion was that the Italians clearly informed the US that they had just paid some rather nasty terrorists millions of dollars for letting their woman watch TV and talk about Roma football club while being sporting enough to not to chop her head off. Of course, all the yanks had to do was turn a blind eye to an "out of control" Sedan and everyone would have been a winner. As it is though, the American "imbeciles", who dont "care about human life", decided that theyd "target" a communist journalist who they didnt particuarly take a shine to. Of course, had they really wanted her dead, she would be dead, so this was obviously a faked accident whereby the American plotters decided to instead seriously jeopardise US-Italian relationships by shooting dead an Italian agent, and letting the target walk free to accuse the US of murder.

Whatsmore, the Italians werent bothered that if it became known that they had been paying ransoms, it would place other Italians in serious jeopardy and thus there can be no suggestion that they thought theyd do this job on the quiet and if it all went wrong, point the finger at the US and let a commy rag direct the worlds media.

Your sense of humour is difficult to understand. However, on the same lines, why do you think the people in the car decided to risk speeding through an US checkpoint, with the possibility of being blown to pieces, if the US soldiers had been through all the appropriate motions required to signal their presence and identity?

I'm afraid there is only one conclusion :either the rules of engagement are inadequate, ore the rules are implemented only in theory, but not in practice
Reply 143
giordano
Your sense of humour is difficult to understand.

Its not meant to be funny. Its meant to illustrate the argument as proposed by Sgrena and her friends at Il Manifesto.

However, on the same lines, why do you think the people in the car decided to risk speeding through an US checkpoint, with the possibility of being blown to pieces, if the US soldiers had been through all the appropriate motions required to signal their presence and identity?

I'm afraid there is only one conclusion :either the rules of engagement are inadequate, ore the rules are implemented only in theory, but not in practice

I would suggest they werent aware of the US checkpoint and, as in similar cases with Iraqi civilians, this will ask questions of what should be expected of a driver approaching a checkpoint and how to facilitate his/her approach. The rules of engagement are quite simple: If the vehicle is deemed a security threat then weapons fire directed at the engine block is used until the car comes to a halt. The evidence thus far is consistent with this thesis.
Reply 144
shadowkin
Accusing me of calling American and British soldiers idiots....I never did anything of the sort. I merely referred to this incident.

also by shadowkin
Well if we had fewer humans who had the idiot mentality to join the army perhaps we would be in a better place

sounds like youre saying those in the army (ie soldiers) have an "idiot mentality".

perhaps you'll clear it up for us...as to how idiot doesnt actually mean idiot.
Reply 145
vienna95
The rules of engagement are quite simple: If the vehicle is deemed a security threat then weapons fire directed at the engine block is used until the car comes to a halt. The evidence thus far is consistent with this thesis.

I have read somewhere (I will try to check exactly where) that the actual rules of engagement are a military secret, since making them public would facilitate the work of the insurgents.

The main reproach made to the US by Iraqi civilians is that clear guidelines were never adequately publicised. This led to way too many incidents, and to the impression that civilian lives, especially those of Iraqis, are expendable.
Reply 146
giordano
I have read somewhere (I will try to check exactly where) that the actual rules of engagement are a military secret, since making them public would facilitate the work of the insurgents.

I couldnt tell you what constitutes a security threat for each soldier.

The main reproach made to the US by Iraqi civilians is that clear guidelines were never adequately publicised.

The problem is that the US soldiers dont experience their own checkpoints as an Iraqi may do and communication of what is expected can never be fully guaranteed. There is always going to be someone who makes a mistake or misinteprets such communication.

This led to way too many incidents, and to the impression that civilian lives, especially those of Iraqis, are expendable.

It doesnt, however, mean that the US are targetting civilians on a whim.
Reply 148

It is good that you admitted your mistake, there are people on this forum who wouldn't do so. (I am being genuine)
Reply 149
randdom
It is good that you admitted your mistake, there are people on this forum who wouldn't do so. (I am being genuine)

hehe, er no. I meant it was slightly embarassing for the Italian government that the ransom was not even taken by the terrorists.
Reply 150
vienna95
hehe, er no. I meant it was slightly embarassing for the Italian government that the ransom was not even taken by the terrorists.

Oh dear. Randdom really cocked that up. :rolleyes:
Reply 151
Howard
Oh dear. Randdom really cocked that up. :rolleyes:

I appreciate her thought, but really, Id have to be capable of making a mistake before admitting to one. :wink:
Reply 152
vienna95
I appreciate her thought, but really, Id have to be capable of making a mistake before admitting to one. :wink:

"Mistake" and "Vienna" just don't belong in the same sentence!! She should know better!!
vienna95
rather arrogant...
technik
sounds like youre saying those in the army (ie soldiers) have an "idiot mentality".

perhaps you'll clear it up for us...as to how idiot doesnt actually mean idiot.

have you ever seen the exams needed to get into the army..?
spot the odd one out
orange, apple, banana, grenade
lorry, bus, taxi, helicopter
etc
Reply 155
vienna95

It doesnt, however, mean that the US are targetting civilians on a whim.

The US soldiers are humans, bar some deranged persons (like that general who actually made a statement that targeting people was fun, or something along those lines) most of them are of course disturbed by the suffering of fellow humans, and of civilians in particular. The US, furthermore, does not have of course a policy of alienating the whole of the Iraqi population.

My impression is that it boils down to what has blighted the Iraq operation right from the first days after military victory- carelessness, insufficient planning, no idea where they are going
Reply 156
foolfarian
have you ever seen the exams needed to get into the army..?
spot the odd one out
orange, apple, banana, grenade
lorry, bus, taxi, helicopter
etc

so someone intelligent turns up and easily passes the criteria required to join due to that intelligence. are they now an idiot?

pull the other one.
Reply 157
giordano
My impression is that it boils down to what has blighted the Iraq operation right from the first days after military victory- carelessness, insufficient planning, no idea where they are going

Its a war zone, not a trip to the supermarket.
To be fair, the troops have not been the best-supported they could be. What has really blighted that after-war years has been the attitude of the troops. I used to think that the British troops were being nice and the US troops were being nasty to Iraqis. I still do think that the British troops have a more friendly attitude in general. However, both forces have contained people who think it's funny to abuse prisoners. To an extent, you can't tell who will do this until it happens. However, I think tighter tabs should have been kept on the troops to prevent these breaches of human rights. It is the abuse of prisoners, more than anything else, that has lost the occupiers the trust of the Iraqi people.
Reply 159
Agent Smith
To be fair, the troops have not been the best-supported they could be. What has really blighted that after-war years has been the attitude of the troops. I used to think that the British troops were being nice and the US troops were being nasty to Iraqis. I still do think that the British troops have a more friendly attitude in general. However, both forces have contained people who think it's funny to abuse prisoners. To an extent, you can't tell who will do this until it happens. However, I think tighter tabs should have been kept on the troops to prevent these breaches of human rights. It is the abuse of prisoners, more than anything else, that has lost the occupiers the trust of the Iraqi people.

So it is the fault of the military and/or administration that a handful of troops are found guilty of mistreatment? What trust has been lost?

Latest

Trending

Trending