The Student Room Group

A level done in year 11

I done A-level italian in year 11 (now in year 12 nearly year 13), can I apply for universities with this a-level?
Original post by ciao50276
I done A-level italian in year 11 (now in year 12 nearly year 13), can I apply for universities with this a-level?

Yes, but...

You usually need 3 A Levels to apply for an undergrad degree, so even when you have one A Level you would need another 2 more (the minimum number of A Levels you need is 2 for any particular degree)

Italian is a required subject for language or joint language degrees (e.g. management with Italian or Law with Italian). For any other degree, Italian is only considered for its grade.

Some unis require all your A Levels to be done within 2 years, so you should bear that in mind when they look through your application; some don't particularly care when you do your A Levels, so long you meet the entry requirements

Don't get me wrong, completing an A Level before you're 16 is impressive irrespective of what you want to study, and I would find it difficult for admissions staff not to be impressed by it. However, you would need to bear in mind of what else you need to do to get onto the course that you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Yes, but...

You usually need 3 A Levels to apply for an undergrad degree, so even when you have one A Level you would need another 2 more (the minimum number of A Levels you need is 2 for any particular degree)

Italian is a required subject for language or joint language degrees (e.g. management with Italian or Law with Italian). For any other degree, Italian is only considered for its grade.

Some unis require all your A Levels to be done within 2 years, so you should bear that in mind when they look through your application; some don't particularly care when you do your A Levels, so long you meet the entry requirements

Don't get me wrong, completing an A Level before you're 16 is impressive irrespective of what you want to study, and I would find it difficult for admissions staff not to be impressed by it. However, you would need to bear in mind of what else you need to do to get onto the course that you want to do.

Really appreciate the help! So sorry I couldn't reply to this sooner as I hadn't gotten any notifications. I completely see your point, I contacted some universities and all of them have said that they would accept it, which I got quite fortunate with. I did A-level Italian in 2022, so this would be within two years of completing my other A-levels in year 13, no? Do you think there's anything else I should consider before applying?

Also, as I've seen you're a University forum helper, I was wondering, on UCAS, am I able to say the three A-level grades I have been predicted and also the A-level grade I have achieved in year 11, or am I forced to only have three A-level subjects there? So have four A-levels on my application in total.
Really appreciate the help! So sorry I couldn't reply to this sooner as I hadn't gotten any notifications. I completely see your point, I contacted some universities and all of them have said that they would accept it, which I got quite fortunate with. I did A-level Italian in 2022, so this would be within two years of completing my other A-levels in year 13, no? Do you think there's anything else I should consider before applying?

Also, as I've seen you're a University forum helper, I was wondering, on UCAS, am I able to say the three A-level grades I have been predicted and also the A-level grade I have achieved in year 11, or am I forced to only have three A-level subjects there? So have four A-levels on my application in total.

I did A-level Italian in 2022, so this would be within two years of completing my other A-levels in year 13, no?
I suppose, but at the same time it's about within 2 years of when you make your application.

Do you think there's anything else I should consider before applying?
I can't think of any. If there is, the uni admission staff should bring it up.

I was wondering, on UCAS, am I able to say the three A-level grades I have been predicted and also the A-level grade I have achieved in year 11, or am I forced to only have three A-level subjects there?
From memory, you should be able to list all 4 A Levels you have done there, provided you also mention the dates you have achieved the qualifications.
Reply 4
I did A-level Italian in 2022, so this would be within two years of completing my other A-levels in year 13, no?
I suppose, but at the same time it's about within 2 years of when you make your application.

Do you think there's anything else I should consider before applying?
I can't think of any. If there is, the uni admission staff should bring it up.

I was wondering, on UCAS, am I able to say the three A-level grades I have been predicted and also the A-level grade I have achieved in year 11, or am I forced to only have three A-level subjects there?
From memory, you should be able to list all 4 A Levels you have done there, provided you also mention the dates you have achieved the qualifications.

Sounds good, regarding your last response, as I know that Universities tend to look at three ALs, do I need to specify to them which ones I want to be considered when they look over my application? Or will they look at all of them and choose the best grades out of them to consider if I should be given an offer or not?

Under the secondary education section, do I put the A-level I have done there, as that was my centre?
Sounds good, regarding your last response, as I know that Universities tend to look at three ALs, do I need to specify to them which ones I want to be considered when they look over my application? Or will they look at all of them and choose the best grades out of them to consider if I should be given an offer or not?

Under the secondary education section, do I put the A-level I have done there, as that was my centre?

do I need to specify to them which ones I want to be considered when they look over my application?
I confident that they don't have this section. All of your qualifications would be listed and only the uni admissions decide which ones would be considered.

Or will they look at all of them and choose the best grades out of them to consider if I should be given an offer or not?
Whilst I can't speak for all uni admissions staff, I would say it's likely that they will just pick out the best grades out of them to consider.

Yes.

See the following:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4LxAZo3CA
Reply 6
do I need to specify to them which ones I want to be considered when they look over my application?
I confident that they don't have this section. All of your qualifications would be listed and only the uni admissions decide which ones would be considered.

Or will they look at all of them and choose the best grades out of them to consider if I should be given an offer or not?
Whilst I can't speak for all uni admissions staff, I would say it's likely that they will just pick out the best grades out of them to consider.

Yes.

See the following:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4LxAZo3CA

Thank you! Do you reckon I should email the universities I am planning on applying to, to confirm that this will be the case?
Thank you! Do you reckon I should email the universities I am planning on applying to, to confirm that this will be the case?

Yes, just to be very sure. I think you might have some problems with the more competitive courses and unis, but with most courses and unis you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending