The Student Room Group

gcse language paper one creative writing

ive heard people talk about how they're pre planning a story for creative writing but do you recommend this - and also how would you even go about pre planning a story anyway
Reply 1
Pre-planning typically just refers to writing a story that you intend to write in the actual exam, and learning the structure of it. Of course learning it word for word would be extremely difficult. However, by learning the structure you can ensure that your piece is structurally sound and then work on flowering up the vocabulary and language devices.

Personally, I can't recommend pre-planning a story because it is simply too risky. You could argue that you can make any story fit any prompt you get given in the exam, yet if the link to the picture is very tenuous then the chances are the examiner will know it's a pre-planned story and this could potentially impact your overall mark. However, having a general plan/structure that fits any story you are going to write is a very beneficial idea. For example, you are going to start with a setting description, then move on to the character.. etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Georgeallen
Pre-planning typically just refers to writing a story that you intend to write in the actual exam, and learning the structure of it. Of course learning it word for word would be extremely difficult. However, by learning the structure you can ensure that your piece is structurally sound and then work on flowering up the vocabulary and language devices.

Personally, I can't recommend pre-planning a story because it is simply too risky. You could argue that you can make any story fit any prompt you get given in the exam, yet if the link to the picture is very tenuous then the chances are the examiner will know it's a pre-planned story and this could potentially impact your overall mark. However, having a general plan/structure that fits any story you are going to write is a very beneficial idea. For example, you are going to start with a setting description, then move on to the character.. etc.

ohh okay awesome thank you
You can absolutely pre-plan the character(s). I had an idea of the characters I was going to use when I did my language paper 1. I sat my GCSE last year and got the 'life saving event' thing or whatever it was. I took characters from a piece of writing I'd done before (I write in my spare time) and ended up writing some mafia-style hostage situation with 4 characters. Ended up getting an 8 on my English Language GCSE. It's absolutely possible! Just don't plan the scene or the theme - if you know your character(s) beforehand, you can use them in the exam and the scene honestly unfolds really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending