The Student Room Group

Gay couple vs Grandparents!!!

TWO children in Edinburgh are to be adopted by a gay couple after their grandparents - aged just 46 and 59 - were ruled too old to look after them.

The protesting grandparents were told they'd never see the two again unless they dropped their opposition.

For two years, the couple fought for their rights to care for the five-year-old boy and his four-year-old sister, whose mum, 26, is a recovering heroin addict. They agreed to adoption only after they faced being financially crippled by legal bills.

Then they were told the children were going to a gay household, even though several heterosexual couples wanted them.

"It breaks my heart to think that our grandchildren are being forced to grow up without a mother figure," the grandfather said.

"We are not prejudiced, but I defy anyone to explain to us how this can be in their best interests."

His wife said: "It's so important for children to fit in, and our grandchildren will be marked out from the start when they draw pictures of their two dads."

The case raises concerns about state interference in family life. Council social workers were worried that the grandparents' ages and health problems meant they would be unable to care for the children properly.

The grandfather, a farm worker, has angina and his wife is on medication for diabetes.

The children were taken into foster care during the two years of court hearings. The fostering arrangement worked well, but the council decided that the children should be adopted.

The grandparents agreed, as long as they could be assured that the adoptive parents would be a loving mother and father.

Social workers dealing with the case admitted that approved adoptive parents who were heterosexual had also been keen to adopt the children.

The decision was taken even though a confidential social work report said the little girl was "wary of men in general".

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24976392-661,00.html

how the **** is 46 and 59 too old, i think this is unfair afterall they are blood relatives!!!! they should have more rights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is pure maddness

its not the gay couple, although i am against gays / lesbians adopting. but 46 and 59 is not old
Reply 2
This is why homosexual adoption is wrong
Reply 3
There was no need at all to bring up the sexuality of who will adopt the couple because they should stay with their grandparents.
Devel
There was no need at all to bring up the sexuality of who will adopt the couple.

Exactly.
But its ok for a 66 year old to have IVF and raise her child at that age?

Absolute disgrace. Also another way to show the government are giving way to equal rights over common sense. Disgrace!
Reply 6
I agree that the grandparents should get custody, but this statement is ridiculous:
Then they were told the children were going to a gay household, even though several heterosexual couples wanted them.

That shouldn't make a difference.
I don't see what the sexuality of the adoptive parents has to do with it. You make it seem like this would be ok if they were being adopted by a straight couple. It obviously wouldn't.
Reply 8
vineyard
this is pure maddness

its not the gay couple, although i am against gays / lesbians adopting. but 46 and 59 is not old

59 is old. If you consider that by the time the children are 18, the grandparents could well be dead.
Reply 9
The grandparents are still young enough to probably have kids of their own!!
they should have got the kids as they are not too old.

however the gay couple are just as adequet a placement as a conventional couple would have been.
It's health problems as well: the grandparents didn't want to look after them until they found out that they'd be going to a gay couple.

'The grandparents agreed, as long as they could be assured that the adoptive parents would be a loving mother and father.'

It's all just homophobic nonsense really. I wish people would actually read the article and use a few critical thinking skills.
Howells
I agree that the grandparents should get custody, but this statement is ridiculous:

That shouldn't make a difference.

Why shouldnt it? They want their children to go to a mother and father, not father and father.
my mum was 46 when my sister was around that age
Devel
There was no need at all to bring up the sexuality of who will adopt the couple.

until they discover a genetic origin homosexuality, im gonna stick with the bigoted opinion
Those children should have remained with their grandparents. It has nothing to do with the sexuality of the couple, its the fact that this decision was completely and utterly wrong. They shouldn't have gone to any other couple, gay or straight. And for the grandparents to be told that they might never see the children again unless they drop their opposition? Absolutely revolting. This country is mad.
Reply 16
There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!!!
The Doctor Forever
until they discover a genetic origin homosexuality, im gonna stick with the bigoted opinion

Even if there isn't a genetic origin, it doesn't mean that having gay parents will mean gay children. Since when did children look to their parents for role models? :curious:

Also, you do realise that your assumption that having gay kids would be a bad thing is inherently homophobic?
Reply 18
The Doctor Forever

I don't recall asking for it. :eyeball:

To add if the big deal is the sexuality of the adoptive couple then perhaps the grandparents have the same 'bigoted opinion' as yourself, then hopefully the adoption system will avoid bigotry.
Reply 19
Charzhino
Why shouldnt it? They want their children to go to a mother and father, not father and father.

The way it is phrased in that article is just stupid. It is pretty likely that the homosexual couple were chosen over the heterosexual couples because they were viewed as better prospective parents.

Latest

Trending

Trending