The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yasmin221b
But for an A do I need 160/200 UMS in core 3 and core 4, or does it not matter what UMS I get in core 3 and core, as long as I get 480 UMS in total (including mechanics)?

For an A you need 480 ums full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
For an A you need 480 ums full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you!
Hi- for my OCR Sociology AS I got 93 UMS in g671, and 78 UMS in g672. In total I have an A at AS with 171 UCAS. My question is this- can I get an A* if I get 90% across my A2 units this summer? I am a little confused, I know I have an A at AS but as I don't have an A in both unit results, does this exclude me from the chance of an A* overall? Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by X_cheerio_girl_X92
Hi- for my OCR Sociology AS I got 93 UMS in g671, and 78 UMS in g672. In total I have an A at AS with 171 UCAS. My question is this- can I get an A* if I get 90% across my A2 units this summer? I am a little confused, I know I have an A at AS but as I don't have an A in both unit results, does this exclude me from the chance of an A* overall? Thanks guys :smile:

You need a total ums of 320/400 that includes at least 180 ums from your A2 results. There are no special conditions about A grades at AS in any subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need a total ums of 320/400 that includes at least 180 ums from your A2 results. There are no special conditions about A grades at AS in any subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, it's doable then! Thank you! :smile:
can any one help me? in my maths as edexcel, if i get 70/125 in c12 and 60/75 in m1 can i still possibly achive an A? just an idea please? :frown:
Original post by userxx990
can any one help me? in my maths as edexcel, if i get 70/125 in c12 and 60/75 in m1 can i still possibly achive an A? just an idea please? :frown:

Speculating on grade boundaries is just a guessing game but if you really want to do it the best place would be in the maths exams forum where at least you can do it with other people familiar with the papers you have taken. I have not seen the C12 paper but I think it highly unlikely that 70/125 will be enough to secure an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
If I'm doing C3, C4 and S2, will I have to get over 90% in S2 as well to get A* overall because S2 in an A2 unit and the spec asks for 90% from all A2 units combined. Please help :smile:
For A level Government and Politics A2, there are specified raw marks/UMS for A*s stated on the grade boundary documents, does that mean you don't need 90% on each paper? You just need to get the corresponding mark for the A*?
Original post by Jatyization
I missed out on an A* in my Biology ISA :frown:. Would this make it much more difficult to get an A* overall? Is it still 90% average in A2 exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need 480 UMS in total that includes 270 UMS from the A2 exams plus the A2 ISA

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by imedico10
If I'm doing C3, C4 and S2, will I have to get over 90% in S2 as well to get A* overall because S2 in an A2 unit and the spec asks for 90% from all A2 units combined. Please help :smile:

You need 480 UMS that includes 180 UMS from c3&4 combined. The maths spec does not ask for 90% from all A2 units combined.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Owing to the choice of applied units, Maths is a special case. For an A* you need at least (480/6000 UMS overall and at least) 180/200 UMS from C3 and C4. S2, D2 and M2 do not come into the A* calculation.
I missed out on an A* in my Biology ISA :frown:. Would this make it much more difficult to get an A* overall?

yes.

Is it still 90% average in A2 exams?

You need at least 270/300 from the A2 units.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by baffledchick
For A level Government and Politics A2, there are specified raw marks/UMS for A*s stated on the grade boundary documents, does that mean you don't need 90% on each paper? You just need to get the corresponding mark for the A*?

The raw to UMS conversion changes with every exam, every year so there is no fixed number of raw marks you need for an A*. What is constant is that you need at least 180/200UMS from the A2 units. That does not have to be at least 90/100UMS on each paper.

No! You just need 480/600 UMS overall (which is an A) including 180/200 UMS in C3 and C4 (doesn't have to be 90 in each). It seems silly because I got 295/300 UMS last year so theoretically I could get 185/200 UMS in C3 and C4, not even show up to my S2 exam and still get an A* overall!
Last year in further maths I got 255UMS overall, but only 78UMS from FP1. If I was to get 90UMS or over in every A2 f.maths exam this year can I get an A* in it?
AS: FP1=78, D1=88, S2=89, this year for A2 I am taking FP2, D2, and M2. Thankyou in advance!
Original post by AndyW123
Last year in further maths I got 255UMS overall, but only 78UMS from FP1. If I was to get 90UMS or over in every A2 f.maths exam this year can I get an A* in it?
AS: FP1=78, D1=88, S2=89, this year for A2 I am taking FP2, D2, and M2. Thankyou in advance!

Yes. You need a total of 480 UMS that includes 270 UMS from the best 3 A2 units - in your case the best 3 from S2, FP2, D2 or M2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. You need a total of 480 UMS that includes 270 UMS from the best 3 A2 units - in your case the best 3 from S2, FP2, D2 or M2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou! I would rep, but it says I need to rep someone different first, so I will do soon! Sorry to bother you again, but is that an average of 90% from my best 3 A2 units (S2, D2, FP2, and M2), or 90UMS minimum in the three best?
Original post by AndyW123
Thankyou! I would rep, but it says I need to rep someone different first, so I will do soon! Sorry to bother you again, but is that an average of 90% from my best 3 A2 units (S2, D2, FP2, and M2), or 90UMS minimum in the three best?

It's 270 from the best 3 combined not a minimum 90 UMS in each of those 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi I understand to get an A* in Maths you need 90% in the C3 and C4 maths. I just want to make sure because I do maths on OCR MEI where C3 is a coursework and I know MEI is a bit different to other exam boards - can anyone confirm that it is still C3 and C4 at 90% for the A*?

Quick Reply

Latest