The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
Do you know if this is the same for all exam boards? I'm sitting WJEC, and my physics teacher seemed to think it was in each individual paper, which confused me.

No, the 90% on A2 total is true for all boards (I also do WJEC).

You need 90%+ in A2 (so you need 270+/300 for A2 physics). Having said that, as ph4 and ph5 are both pretty tough papers to get full marks in, going for 90%+ in individual papers is a good way of approaching it; but you're not required to do so for the A*.
Reply 1081
Original post by Bluebird92
To get an A* in A Level Mathematics, you need:

80% overall, which translates to 480/600 UMS.

90% in the modules that are labeled as C3 and C4 (180/200 UMS between them both, and you don't need to get over 90% in both - you can get 100% in one and 81% in the other and it works just the same) however if you take M2 or S2 as part of A Level Maths, then your 90% average must extend over to this as these are A2 modules - a combination of M1 and S1 avoids this.

Not true it is just C3 and C4 where you need to average 90%, M2, S2 or D2 are not relevant.

Original post by Bluebird92
And for A Level Further Maths, I think the same does apply except the 90% is across all the modules classed at A2,

Again, not true, it is your best 3 A" units where you have to average 90%.

The rules are all at:
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1047/GCE%20Maths%20rules%20guidance%20for%20centres%20Sept%202010.pdf

I suggest you read them before you claim to give definitive information.

(What I have said applied to the domestic exam boards - AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC. I have no idea whether it applies to CIE as they are not bound by the same rules.)
Original post by Llewellyn
No, the 90% on A2 total is true for all boards (I also do WJEC).

You need 90%+ in A2 (so you need 270+/300 for A2 physics). Having said that, as ph4 and ph5 are both pretty tough papers to get full marks in, going for 90%+ in individual papers is a good way of approaching it; but you're not required to do so for the A*.

Thank you for clearing that up. Got just under 90% in PH4. Reasonably hopeful about bumping it up to average over.
Original post by Data
You have, which I find depressing having read your post.

o awesome but why do you find it depressing, i was sad thought i couldnt get it cause i got a B in my AS cause my cw was a flop

86/100 on the english exam and edexcel gave me 120/120 ums xD cw is 78/80 too
Original post by thecakeisalie
o awesome but why do you find it depressing, i was sad thought i couldnt get it cause i got a B in my AS cause my cw was a flop

86/100 on the english exam and edexcel gave me 120/120 ums xD cw is 78/80 too

He wasn't depressed, he was just being satirical. You got an excellent mark in your English exam but your post was riddled with grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Don't worry about it, satire and sarcasm are rarely interpreted correctly on the internet. Well done on your exams though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1085
Is it 90% in both A2 units? Or could it be 100 in one A2 unit and 80 in the other? :smile:
Reply 1086
Original post by Gales
Is it 90% in both A2 units? Or could it be 100 in one A2 unit and 80 in the other? :smile:

At least 180/200 from the A2 units, any way you want. (270/300 for 3 unit A2s).
Reply 1087
I achieved 100% in my English A2 C/W unit...does that mean I need 80% in my summer exam only? Or does it have to be 90%?

(Have A at AS level)

Thank you,
Original post by Syeda93
I achieved 100% in my English A2 C/W unit...does that mean I need 80% in my summer exam only? Or does it have to be 90%?

(Have A at AS level)

Thank you,

You won't be able to get 80% in your exam, as I'm guessing it'll be more heavily weighted than the coursework. You will need to achieve enough to get 180/200 or whatever the case is on your exam board.
Reply 1089
Original post by Syeda93

(Have A at AS level)

Thank you,

You need to achieve at least 180/200 UMS in the A2 units. I think the c/w has a max of 80, that would leave you needing 100/120 in the exam (which is 83.3%).
Reply 1090
Original post by Data
You need to achieve at least 180/200 UMS in the A2 units. I think the c/w has a max of 80, that would leave you needing 100/120 in the exam (which is 83.3%).

Thank you that makes sense! (+Rep)
Reply 1091
How likely is an A* in maths for me

C1:86
C2:83
M1:64
C3:92

Taking M2 and C4 in June, also I'm resitting M1 and C1 in June to hopefully bump up my grades (C1 seems so easy now).

I also do AS Further Maths and sitting S1 and FP1 in June, I have already completed D1 with 88 ums.

I'm with Edexcel and understand that the modules can be switched between Maths and Further Maths, although the '2' unit can only be used in Maths if the corresponding '1' unit is there. Basically I need atleast 88ums in C4, as well as just 67 in M2 with my current ums. However I will be resitting some just to bump up my overall ums.

Sorry if this is complicated, but does anyone believe I can get the A*, the real worry is getting 88+ in C4
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChrisA7x
How likely is an A* in maths for me

C1:86
C2:83
M1:64
C3:92

Taking M2 and C4 in June, also I'm resitting M1 and C1 in June to hopefully bump up my grades (C1 seems so easy now).

I also do AS Further Maths and sitting S1 and FP1 in June, I have already completed D1 with 88 ums.

I'm with Edexcel and understand that the modules can be switched between Maths and Further Maths, although the '2' unit can only be used in Maths if the corresponding '1' unit is there. Basically I need atleast 88ums in C4, as well as just 67 in M2 with my current ums. However I will be resitting some just to bump up my overall ums.

Sorry if this is complicated, but does anything believe I can get the A*, the real worry is getting 88+ in C4

You definitely need 88+ in C4, but the C4 exam is often a little easier than the C3. So it's possible, but a bit tight. Just work hard and it should be fine, you clearly have the ability :smile:

Assuming you get 88 in C4, you would need 67 in your best of D1, S1 or M2, which should be fine. If you get 88 in C4 and at least 67 in any of those, you will definitely get an A*.

The remaining modules would go towards Further Maths AS - the grade isn't "averaged" at all so you could easily end up with A*b or A*c if some don't go well.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1093
Original post by Xero Xenith
You definitely need 88+ in C4, but the C4 exam is often a little easier than the C3. So it's possible, but a bit tight. Just work hard and it should be fine, you clearly have the ability :smile:

Assuming you get 88 in C4, you would need 67 in your best of D1, S1 or M2, which should be fine. If you get 88 in C4 and at least 67 in any of those, you will definitely get an A*.

The remaining modules would go towards Further Maths AS - the grade isn't "averaged" at all so you could easily end up with A*b or A*c if some don't go well.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, my main focus will be 88+ in C4 then, I was hoping for a higher mark in C3 to lower the pressure in C4 but it could have been worse :smile:
Anyone get an A* in biology?
If so, HOWWW?
Reply 1095
u guys, you know for maths you have C1/C2 and say like S1 for AS maths what if you get a High B in ur S1/S2 modules over the course of the 2 years but nail the core modules?? thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1096
Original post by HEY_101
u guys, you know for maths you have C1/C2 and say like S1 for AS maths what if you get a High B in ur S1/S2 modules over the course of the 2 years but nail the core modules?? thanks :smile:

As long as you get 480 UMS overall including 180 in C3/4 then you get the A*, individual module results do not matter.
Reply 1097
kl thanks
I got 38/40 in my A2 English Literature c/w, so I'm curious as to what this would ROUGHLY translate to in UMS terms? The boundary for an A* was apparently 38.. but 72/80 in UMS seems harsh, wouldn't it be around 75/80?
Reply 1099
Original post by Tsunami2011
I got 38/40 in my A2 English Literature c/w, so I'm curious as to what this would ROUGHLY translate to in UMS terms? The boundary for an A* was apparently 38.. but 72/80 in UMS seems harsh, wouldn't it be around 75/80?

If it's the boundary it will be 72.

Quick Reply

Latest