The Student Room Group

TAPPELT (The Alterenative PPE League Table) 2009

Above 420 points
AAA/AAB Group and above 420 points
Oxford AAA 511
Durham AAA-AAB M*p 468
Warwick (2010 AAAb) http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/depta2z/philosophy/lv00 461

AAB Group and above 420 points
York AAB M*p 450

Below 420 points
AAB Group and below 420 points
Manchester AAB 412
Southampton AAB/ABBb M**B 393 Course provisional for 2010 (not present on UCAS Course Search 2010)

ABB/BBB Group (Plus Queens) and below 420 points
Exeter ABB-BBB 390
Lancaster X ABB 368
Queen's University Belfast X AAB 341
East Anglia X ABB-BBB 335

The Rest and below 420 points
Essex X 300 (200) 328
Hull X 320 306
Swansea X 300-320 287
Kent X 320 (220) 286
Stirling X CCC 280
London Met X 200 (140)

Does this table look a realistic description of how hard it is to get PPE offers from the different Universities?
e.g. the last number is the average for each uni of the UCAS points from the 3 separate subjects (Philisophy, Politics and Economics).

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pV60RSZTWYDXbp4-cgNTQPQ&output=html&widget=true
Reply 1
I think the given offers just give a rough direction how hard it is to get an offer. I always thought e.g. that PPE York is better than Durham allthough Durham gives out higher offers.
Reply 2
fg08
I think the given offers just give a rough direction how hard it is to get an offer. I always thought e.g. that PPE York is better than Durham allthough Durham gives out higher offers.

What you would expect is that popular courses even if they give out low offers to have high Average UCAS points. So ideally I would like the average PPE points for students at each uni. But I don't have that data. Instead I have to average the seperate figures for Philisophy, Politics and Economics.

The figures for York are (450, 451, 448)
Whilst for Durham they are (477, 466, 462)
So Durham is higher in all 3 sub areas.

and actually the table is in UCAS points sequence not offers sequence.
Reply 3
With regards to Queen's, despite the standard offer for the three separate subjects being BBB or BBCb, the standard offer for PPE is AAB (not ABB/BBB as you have stated). Apparently this is due to the special nature of the course and the intensity of learning the three subjects combined. :smile: So I'm not sure if your estimation does it justice.. although I wouldn't mind if it does considering it's my insurance, if it's easier to get into than expected that's fine by me :wink: haha
Reply 4
sazzle7
With regards to Queen's, despite the standard offer for the three separate subjects being BBB or BBCb, the standard offer for PPE is AAB (not ABB/BBB as you have stated). Apparently this is due to the special nature of the course and the intensity of learning the three subjects combined. :smile: So I'm not sure if your estimation does it justice.. although I wouldn't mind if it does considering it's my insurance, if it's easier to get into than expected that's fine by me :wink: haha

I did not have a typical offer for Queens as the UCAS Course Search did not provide one. I have found the link:
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofPoliticsInternationalStudiesandPhilosophy/ProspectiveStudents/UndergraduateDegrees/BAPoliticsPhilosophyandEconomicsPPE/
Also the course is new this year.

In terms of how hard it is to get Queen's offers for PPE, I notice that it is in Extra for PPE. Along with UEA, Essex, Hull, Kent, Lancaster, London Met, Stirling and Swansea.
Reply 5
Paulwhy
I did not have a typical offer for Queens as the UCAS Course Search did not provide one. I have found the link:
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofPoliticsInternationalStudiesandPhilosophy/ProspectiveStudents/UndergraduateDegrees/BAPoliticsPhilosophyandEconomicsPPE/
Also the course is new this year.

In terms of how hard it is to get Queen's offers for PPE, I notice that it is in Extra for PPE. Along with UEA, Essex, Hull, Kent, Lancaster, London Met, Stirling and Swansea.

Yeah, 2009 is the first year. But I don't know anyone who received an offer lower than AAB, or who recieved offers with A Level predictions lower than AAB, so I just want to make sure you're not underestimating the course! :smile:

Although considering how new the course - it hasn't even been listed on the university undergraduate general course list, it's only on the School of Politics website :rolleyes: So you may be very correct in placing it relatively low in your League Table!

Personally I think it'll grow in popularity quite quickly though - apart from Law it is (to my knowledge) the only humanities/social science course offered in Northern Ireland which requires higher grades than ABB - which is why so many high achieving students here seem to go for Law! Once PPE is more established here I can see it becoming relatively sought after. But that's just my opinion, of course. :smile:
Reply 6
sazzle7
Yeah, 2009 is the first year. But I don't know anyone who received an offer lower than AAB, or who recieved offers with A Level predictions lower than AAB, so I just want to make sure you're not underestimating the course! :smile:

Fair Enough. It will be interesting to see what selection Criteria Queens use now that the course is in Extra

sazzle7
Although considering how new the course - it hasn't even been listed on the university undergraduate general course list, it's only on the School of Politics website :rolleyes: So you may be very correct in placing it relatively low in your League Table!

The courses are 'just' listed in UCAS Points order. And apart from Queens that is the same order as given by Typical Offers.

sazzle7
Personally I think it'll grow in popularity quite quickly though - apart from Law it is (to my knowledge) the only humanities/social science course offered in Northern Ireland which requires higher grades than ABB - which is why so many high achieving students here seem to go for Law! Once PPE is more established here I can see it becoming relatively sought after. But that's just my opinion, of course. :smile:

Yes the Queens Law (average 411) UCAS points breakdown is strong:

360 to 399 27%
400 to 439 48%
440 to 479 11%
480 to 519 12%
520 to 559 1%
unistat.com
Reply 7
The main problem with the table is that averaging the three subjects doesn't really work for York, because the individual subjects are not as hard to get into as the School of PEP. There are a good few examples of people for applying for subjects within the School of PEP, getting rejected and being given offers for one of the single honours subjects.
Thanks for this. Looking at the table applying for PPE seems far riskier than other subjects as there are few unis to choose from with entry requirements between ABB and AAA. Most people's choices are likely to be very similar and even more so if they don't believe an Oxford attempt realistic. I'm assuming Manchester's course is artificially more difficult to gain an offer for than its AAB entry requirements suggest as it has only 22 places :frown:. Southampton "hopes" to offer the course from 2010 http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2010/politics_int_relations/bsc_social_sciences_politics_philosophy_economics.html with AAB M**B entry requirements.
Reply 9
Salparadise
Thanks for this. Looking at the table applying for PPE seems far riskier than other subjects as there are few unis to choose from with entry requirements between ABB and AAA. Most people's choices are likely to be very similar and even more so if they don't believe an Oxford attempt realistic. I'm assuming Manchester's course is artificially more difficult to gain an offer for than its AAB entry requirements suggest as it has only 22 places :frown:

Well there are less unis in total offering PPE (c.f. for example Economics) so there will be less places offering each individual grade. But given how many PPE courses were in Extra in 2009 I don't think in general it is that hard to get offers on typical PPE courses.

Salparadise

Also thanks for letting me know about Southampton: they have been added into TAPPELT 2010.
Reply 10
Salparadise
Thanks for this. Looking at the table applying for PPE seems far riskier than other subjects as there are few unis to choose from with entry requirements between ABB and AAA. Most people's choices are likely to be very similar and even more so if they don't believe an Oxford attempt realistic. I'm assuming Manchester's course is artificially more difficult to gain an offer for than its AAB entry requirements suggest as it has only 22 places :frown:. Southampton "hopes" to offer the course from 2010 http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2010/politics_int_relations/bsc_social_sciences_politics_philosophy_economics.html with AAB M**B entry requirements.

oops we should have been posting in TAPPELT 2010 NOT 2009:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=916175

Latest

Trending

Trending