The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
did WJEC GCSE a couple of years ago, and did WJEC AS level last year, got A* and A respectively (full marks in performing both times :awesome:)

i would have carried it on to a-level but I didn't have any extra slots on my timetable, and I really don't get on with my teacher.

overall though, the course was OK. don't expect it to be like doing a grade in an instrument though; it's kind of like saying if you can just perform an experiment in chemistry you should be able to get the a-level... one of my best mates got his sax diploma when he was like 14 or something mental and still only came out with a B overall despite being basically fluent in reading, generally knowledgeable and passionate about music and damn talented. but in reality it is mostly about understanding the mechanisms behind music. if I could go back in time, I would still do it again though. =]
ChopinNocturne
The rest of my class likes it too, I find it horrible :five:

What I always do is because I get AoS 1 done really quickly, after I've finished the questions on the first piece I go through the rest of the paper and answer the questions you don't need the piece for, like "what are the ways in which you can vary the 12-tone row?" because then that saves time for the questions based on the pieces on the topics I find harder!

I go ahead too :smile:
Doublereedfreak
I go ahead too :smile:

How have you done in performance and composition? I'm pleased mine have been good because it takes the pressure off for the exam especially as coursework is 60%!!
ChopinNocturne
The rest of my class likes it too, I find it horrible :five:

What I always do is because I get AoS 1 done really quickly, after I've finished the questions on the first piece I go through the rest of the paper and answer the questions you don't need the piece for, like "what are the ways in which you can vary the 12-tone row?" because then that saves time for the questions based on the pieces on the topics I find harder!

Thats a good idea i've never really thought about moving ahead in the paper I just normally waste a load of time.
ChopinNocturne
How have you done in performance and composition? I'm pleased mine have been good because it takes the pressure off for the exam especially as coursework is 60%!!

Performance was full marks and I get the composition marks back after the holidays. I think I've done well in that too though. To be honest at GCSE the exam boards aren't expecting much haha.
I've written a minimalist piece because it's dead easy and a wind dectet Rondo. What have you written?
Doublereedfreak
Performance was full marks and I get the composition marks back after the holidays. I think I've done well in that too though. To be honest at GCSE the exam boards aren't expecting much haha.
I've written a minimalist piece because it's dead easy and a wind dectet Rondo. What have you written?

I got full marks for solo performance but I only recorded the ensemble just before the holidays so haven't got that back yet! I wrote a ternary form violin and piano duet which I got full marks for, and a serial piece for solo piano which I got 29/30 for :eek: I was shocked but really happy!!

I know lol. Not too difficult to get good marks!

My friend who only took music because I was (idiot, why would you do that?!) got a U in the mock listening and she's not got good marks in her coursework either, I'm worried she's going to fail!
Doublereedfreak

I wrote a minimalism piece too you're right they definetely are on of the easiest to do. Congrats on full marks in performance too by the way :p: what do you play?
Nicola_2103
Thats a good idea i've never really thought about moving ahead in the paper I just normally waste a load of time.

It was simply because I got so bored, but then I found it was useful because it gained me time later on when some of the questions were already completed in the later sections!

Have you done the practise paper with "this is a recording of a homeless tramp singing a religious song"?!
ChopinNocturne
It was simply because I got so bored, but then I found it was useful because it gained me time later on when some of the questions were already completed in the later sections!

Have you done the practise paper with "this is a recording of a homeless tramp singing a religious song"?!

ha! that sounds like an interesting extract. No I haven't where do you get the practice papers from or did you do it in school?
Nicola_2103
ha! that sounds like an interesting extract. No I haven't where do you get the practice papers from or did you do it in school?

It was really funny, it's an "experimental" one where he just goes "Jesus' blood never failed me yet" repeated over and over with an instrumental accompaniment, very strange, we were all laughing!!

We've done the practise papers at school, you can buy them as well from places like this:

http://www.chappellofbondstreet.co.uk/product.php?product_id=COBS012879978

WHSmith have them cheaper but out of stock so not in for 4 weeks - not much use!!
ChopinNocturne
It was really funny, it's an "experimental" one where he just goes "Jesus' blood never failed me yet" repeated over and over with an instrumental accompaniment, very strange, we were all laughing!!

We've done the practise papers at school, you can buy them as well from places like this:

WHSmith have them cheaper but out of stock so not in for 4 weeks - not much use!!

Ok thanks. They're quite expensive but I may have to invest in them anyway :smile:
Nicola_2103
I wrote a minimalism piece too you're right they definetely are on of the easiest to do. Congrats on full marks in performance too by the way :p: what do you play?

Minimalism FTW. Copy and paste haha.
Thank you very much :smile:
I play Saxophone, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet and a bit of fiddle :p:
You?
ChopinNocturne

Did you ever do the paper with the 'I want to be a hippy and I want to get stoned. MAriiiii- Marijuana!'?
Awesome songggg.
Doublereedfreak
You?

I know cubase with a bit of copy and paste is a complete legend for minimalism. Wow thats a lot of instruments just violin and flute for me
Nicola_2103
Ok thanks. They're quite expensive but I may have to invest in them anyway :smile:

They are but they're worth it (says she, doing them at school and not paying!) but it is really useful to be able to practise the sorts of questions they ask you, a lot of the marks are exam technique when you think about it!

We had one on AoS 4 - "why has this type of music (Bhangra) become more popular in the UK over the past century?" and you had to write about Bollywood, development of travel, immigration etc. which I would have had no idea about, just because it's not intuitive!!
Nicola_2103
I know cubase with a bit of copy and paste is a complete legend for minimalism. Wow thats a lot of instruments just violin and flute for me

I know, I'm a bit sad and just decide to pick up new instruments all the time.:p:
Doublereedfreak
Did you ever do the paper with the 'I want to be a hippy and I want to get stoned. MAriiiii- Marijuana!'?
Awesome songggg.

No!! That sounds awesome!! We did one with "and when he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he is a dedicated follower of fashion!"!!!
Doublereedfreak
You?

:eek: Wow that's a lot of instruments!!! Violin, electric violin, piano, and about 4 types of recorder for me!! Oh and I've been handed a viola and told to play it but it takes me longer to read the alto clef...
ChopinNocturne
They are but they're worth it (says she, doing them at school and not paying!) but it is really useful to be able to practise the sorts of questions they ask you, a lot of the marks are exam technique when you think about it!

We had one on AoS 4 - "why has this type of music (Bhangra) become more popular in the UK over the past century?" and you had to write about Bollywood, development of travel, immigration etc. which I would have had no idea about, just because it's not intuitive!!

we had that question in our year 10 mock last question on the paper I think. I know, its not exactly the sort of thing we learn is lessons really
ChopinNocturne
No!! That sounds awesome!! We did one with "and when he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he is a dedicated follower of fashion!"!!!

The kinks <3

Latest