The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

according to the markscheme I got at least 60 - that should be an A right?
Reply 301
yea 80% is an A
Reply 302
lilangel890
I think it was quite disgusting where it said they want a length size x so that the probability of no faults is 0.

I've looked at that unofficially mark scheme and they use LOGS. Not C1 or C2 logs but bloody A2 level logs (ln) What the heck is all that about? I knew it was something I hadn't done but I'm sure stats only requires knowledge of C1/C2 (if that, since some people do standalaone statistics) What the hell was all that about? So lost marks there (thanks edexcel :s-smilie:) and also with the lower quartile q (think I forgot to integrate)

Ack <_<

yeah the x length was a really tough question
but it does say in the syllabus that C1,2,3 knowledge is assumed and may be tested on
sorry that probs wont make u feel any better :frown:
phoenix90
but it does say in the syllabus that C1,2,3 knowledge is assumed and may be tested on

What if your in year 12 and doing S2 with Further MATHS? I dont have any C3 knowledge
Reply 304
AndersonsBentFoot
What if your in year 12 and doing S2 with Further MATHS? I dont have any C3 knowledge

Your maths teacher or maths department should realise that and know whats on the syllabus so they can organise which units to teach u in which year etc so that u have all the requierd knowledge. I'm sure they wont send u into an exam without covering the syllabus...or I dunno, depends on your 6th form..
Reply 305
hey guys doing further maths and in y12 like me
u didnt need to use logs at all
i did it without using logs
btw is the unofficial markscheme definitely right?
if it is...GREAT...i only lost a max of 3 marks!
but i still think the Grade boundaries will be lowered cos loads of my mates found it realli hard
so keep your fingers crossed guys and dont be so negative! :biggrin:
phoenix90

Could you possibly link me to that please? I've had a glance at the 08 spec and can't see anything about knowledge of C3. It even says Mathematics AS and further mathematics AS as a possible way of cashing in units -_-

Tis ridiculous :frown:
Reply 307
anyone have the paper or a markscheme with the marks for each question indicated?
thanks in advance

p.s. i downloaded the markscheme that was posted before, but i couldnt see the marks..
thanks for posting the markscheme! pos rep coming your way
angad7.10
anyone have the paper or a markscheme with the marks for each question indicated?
thanks in advance

p.s. i downloaded the markscheme that was posted before, but i couldnt see the marks..
thanks for posting the markscheme! pos rep coming your way

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=926229&page=7

Post 131.
victoria13
damn it!!! i think i lost one mark :frown:

no! not ONE WHOLE MARK?!?!

but yeah same lost one fo sho, and probs a couple more through working etc
hopefully we'll be able to drop 1 or 2 and still get 100UMS (Y)
Reply 310
AndersonsBentFoot

It specifically said show that x = 1.7 to two significant figures (not to find x).

Therefore if you found e^(-2x/15) = 0.8

let f(x) = e^(-2x/15) use numerical methods here:
f(1.65)
f(1.75)

Which would show x =1.7 to two sig fig. This is sometimes used in showing that the median is a certain number when F(m) is a cubic function.
crrrrrash
no! not ONE WHOLE MARK?!?!

but yeah same lost one fo sho, and probs a couple more through working etc
hopefully we'll be able to drop 1 or 2 and still get 100UMS (Y)

yes that would be nice!!!
Does anyone knoe where I can get hold of the grade boundaries for the Jan 09 S2 paper?
I saw it on TSR earlier, but I cant find it now.
Thanks
Reply 313
i did awfully, dropped a million marks.
before the exam i had a spaz attack at my teacher who swore on his life, bet me £1000, that the normal approximation wouldn't come up because it's no longer on the syllabus. well.
i got that standard deviation Q right surprisingly... that was about it!
i messed up on easy ones.
faaail.
:frown:
Your teacher told you that the normal approx is no longer on the syllabus?
Reply 315
Gone Revising
Your teacher told you that the normal approx is no longer on the syllabus?

hahahaha - too funny

i never trust teachers with the syllabus - i always go through them by myself
Reply 316
lilangel890
Could you possibly link me to that please? I've had a glance at the 08 spec and can't see anything about knowledge of C3. It even says Mathematics AS and further mathematics AS as a possible way of cashing in units -_-

Tis ridiculous :frown:

Ok I rechecked and I read the wrong syllabus, on the M2 syllabus it says C1-3 knowledge is required, but it doesnt say that on S2, I just assumed the prerequisites would be the same

but on S2 it says evaluation of the exponential function may be tested

the specification is on the edexcel website http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce-leg/maths/Pages/default.aspx
S2 is on page 65 ish
phoenix90
Ok I rechecked and I read the wrong syllabus, on the M2 syllabus it says C1-3 knowledge is required, but it doesnt say that on S2, I just assumed the prerequisites would be the same

but on S2 it says evaluation of the exponential function may be tested

the specification is on the edexcel website http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce-leg/maths/Pages/default.aspx
S2 is on page 65 ish

Thanks. Tis rather vague though isn't it? Evaluation could just mean plugging in numbers into the P(X=x) formula. Hmm I'll speak to the head of maths when I go in on friday for C2.
I had a different approach to the ln one. I used e^-lambda =0.8, i found out what lambda was, and since i knew it was 2faults per 15m, i worked out how many metres I got by using the lambda value i worked out.
^that's EXACTLY what i did. it seemed to work so hopefully we get some marks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending