The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never did this option I did biochemistry - But I doubt you would have to learn it, is it in the textbooks or revision guides for it?
from the specification:

''describe the shape and symmetry of the d-orbitals and the splitting of d-orbital energy levels in transition metal complexes (octahedral only).''
Reply 3
Well that proved me wrong :p:

I blame the alcohol....
cptbigt
Well that proved me wrong :p:

I blame the alcohol....

Which one? :hmmm:

this one?
Reply 5
I was thinking more of:

But i'll take some of that one too if your paying :wink:
cptbigt
But i'll take some of that one too if your paying :wink:

Okay, I have plenty :smile:
Reply 7
Not trying to poison me are you? :p:
Of course not :angel:
Reply 9
EierVonSatan
from the specification:

''describe the shape and symmetry of the d-orbitals and the splitting of d-orbital energy levels in transition metal complexes (octahedral only).''

So we have to know the shapes of them including the axes? To recap, are these the right 5 orbitals:

xy, yz, xz, x^2-y^2, z^2

?
Reply 10
EierVonSatan
Of course not :angel:

:hmmmm:

Ok I trust ya, i'll be around in 5 minutes :p:
sonic23
So we have to know the shapes of them including the axes? To recap, are these the right 5 orbitals:

xy, yz, xz, x^2-y^2, z^2

?

That's what the statement suggests at least, and yes those are the five :smile:

It's not too bad really xy, yz and xz have lobes that sit off the axes

x^2-y^2 has lobes which lie on the x and y axes

z^2 has a 'p-orbital' type lobe on the z axis with a ring around it
Reply 12
EVS you like battle metal :p:?
Hmm no not really, seems very Iron Maiden

:puke:

Now stop spamming the thread :mad:
Reply 15
Sorry....Kinda hijacked the thread heh
Reply 16
EierVonSatan
That's what the statement suggests at least, and yes those are the five :smile:

It's not too bad really xy, yz and xz have lobes that sit on the axes

x^2-y^2 has lobes which point in between the x and y axes

z^2 has a 'p-orbital' type lobe on the z axis with a ring around it

for z^2 if you were drawing the z and x axis, could you draw 2 small lobes on the x axis to represent the ring?

And basically, the x^2 - y^2 orbital kind of cuts the x and y axis and the rest just sit on the axes with the end of each lobe sitting at the origin.

Do you think theyll be nasty and ask you to draw their shapes on a given set of axis;i.e. do you think its worth learning the 3d shapes of the orbitals?

Also, is d orbital splitting and therefore absorption of light for promotion of electrons limited to only octahedral complexes?

Thanks, your a real help:smile:
sonic23
for z^2 if you were drawing the z and x axis, could you draw 2 small lobes on the x axis to represent the ring?

I'd draw all three axis as the ring orbits on the x and y planes.

And basically, the x^2 - y^2 orbital kind of cuts the x and y axis and the rest just sit on the axes with the end of each lobe sitting at the origin.

Do you think theyll be nasty and ask you to draw their shapes on a given set of axis;i.e. do you think its worth learning the 3d shapes of the orbitals?

It's possible, I would leanr them - they arn't hard to learn afterall.

Also, is d orbital splitting and therefore absorption of light for promotion of electrons limited to only octahedral complexes?

Thanks, your a real help:smile:

No you can get splitting in tetrahedral, square planar complexes etc too but they will only ask about octahedral complexes.

Welcome :smile:
sonic23
For this exam, do we have to learn the the shapes of the 5 3d orbitals...like the graph of y againt x , y againt z , and the names of each of the orbitals....?

Thanks

Yes you do, I have just done a past paper asking you for them, June 08 I believe the paper was :yep:

JJ
Reply 19
JumpingJonny
Yes you do, I have just done a past paper asking you for them, June 08 I believe the paper was :yep:

JJ

Including the axes? Do you need to learn the 3d shapes too?

Is the exam difficult or tricky if youve revised sufficiently for it? Do they ask fairly concise, straight forward questions?

Latest