The Student Room Group

Anyone ride a motorbike?

I've been argueing with my family for a while now about getting a motorbike (Kawa ZX-6R!!!) .... i really want one, but people keep telling me im gonna end up in a wheelchair...

I would really appreciate any opinions (esp. from those who have motorbike experience).....

...is it possible to ride a motorbike and get where your goin in good time, yet still virtually gaurantee not having an accident?

Cheerz

-sToNeD-

Edit by Community team

Big discussion on finding cheap motorbike insurance for young riders here
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I've been going through this myself, and have come to the conclusion that it's not worth the risk.

I have a good friend who had a scooter when he was 16. He crashed it straight into the side of a van. He broke a lot of bones, but the worst thing is, he lost his memory - he can't remember his childhood well, and he's had to retake his last year of Uni (studying English), as he now writes all 'jumbled up' like a dyslexic person would. The mental affect has been the biggest problem, the physical problems are comparitivley minor. After seeing what he's been through, it just isn't worth the risk. You can be a very good rider, but car drivers may still hit you.
Reply 2
My dad is a motorcycle instructor (teaches people to ride), and he has only been hit twice. Both times though, he was sat stationary and was rear-ended by cars.

I will probably get a bike when I get employment, but thats because I have been brought up with them.

As has been said, you can be the best/safest biker on the road, but some little git will still take his suped-up Golf or whatever and clout you :frown:
Reply 3
-sToNeD-
I've been argueing with my family for a while now about getting a motorbike (Kawa ZX-6R!!!) .... i really want one, but people keep telling me im gonna end up in a wheelchair...

I would really appreciate any opinions (esp. from those who have motorbike experience).....

...is it possible to ride a motorbike and get where your goin in good time, yet still virtually gaurantee not having an accident?

Cheerz

-sToNeD-

I only ride motocross but I am an avid PWC rider which is similar........... i agree the danger is from others not yourself, the number of motorcyclists who are killed from their own stupidity is quite small........... :frown:
Reply 4
I used to drive a motorbike before I got my car (Aprilia 125cc) - nothing really fast. Driving a motorbike is honestly fine - otherwise why would they be allowed? lol

Yes, ok - if you get hit - its gonna hurt and yes - of course its more serious than a regualr car crash because you havent got that metal frame around you like a car. However - if you drive safely, then there is no problem! You start showing off - like taking your shirt off cos u see some fit birds walking further on down the road, whilst pulling a wheeley (ive seen this happen), then you deserve to get whats coming to you. :rolleyes:

I presume you're young, so you can't get a seriously powerful bike - until your at least 21. Just be sensible, drive SLOWER on wet days - a LOT less grip due to tyres being different than a car. Wear helmet (obviously), leather/ protected gloves, boots and the rest of the stuff. You don't have to look like a giant lightbulb/ dork - it is possible to still be 'cool'.

Plus it helps you out when you learn to drive a car (you should already be used to the rules of the road). :smile:

I say - wake up and realise its 2005. Be sensible and aware- nothing is gonna go wrong if you have the right attitude.

(BTW - If your rents say its dangerous, then so is riding your push bike on the road - look what happens if you get hit on one of those - you'd be likely to end up in A&E or even worse!) :frown:
Reply 5
i prefer cars motorbikes seem to me as unsafe
Reply 6
Don't think you'll be able to get the Kawasaki, learner legal is 125 cc (absolute crap - the fan in my computer is more powerful). Motorbikes can be safe, but other drivers aren't. You can be the most experienced rider ever, but you'll still end up in hospital if somebody pulls out in front of you, or if you hit a diesel spill. Yes, there's a good chance you'll never crash, but if you do, the consequences are likely to be much worse than if you crashed in a car. I'm looking to get a bike, but for stricly off road riding only!
Reply 7
i ride a motorbike. it's thrilling of course but i've had my scary moments. it's on two wheels for god's sake so if u're going really fast n crash, consequences are FAR worse than if u crashed in a car (like SyncMaster already said).

as long as u can keep ur head while driving and not feel the need for ultra-speed unless on an empty highway, mobikes r safe. they've no seatbelts of course so there's NO WAY u can brake suddenly if u have to!

the decision is up to u though.
Reply 8
Motorcycling is not dangerous its is other car drivers which make motorcycling dangerous. I am both a car driver and a motorcycle rider and very little respect is paid to motorcyclists. By the way to the original poster ....how old are you because there are certain restricitons with age.
I know this bwecause i work for a motorcycle training centre
Reply 9
Im 19 at the moment, 20 in August. Was hoping to get a ZX-6R, R6 or a GSX-R600 restricted to 33bhp (even though it hurts to do so) then take the restrictions off when i hit 21 where i will take the test again on a bigger bike.

I want to be sensible and not get one, i really do, and i guess i should be esp. as i was in a car crash in january, so i know exactly what ur saying about other idiot drivers... i was just driving down a main road and some **** shoots out of a side road not giving a **** about having to give way..no suprise he was driving a rubbish company van thing.

But i really dont know, i want a motorbike so badly.....ive even booked my theory test. Stories like the one about the guy who crashed into the van and had mental injuries are the ones that get to me...i just need to know that even if others make mistakes a rider can, if sensible enough, still avoid an accident...

If you have an accident on a bike i agree it will be a lot worse than in a car, but isnt it easier to avoid accidents with motorbikes, as in better agility etc... than a car???
Reply 10
-sToNeD-
...i just need to know that even if others make mistakes a rider can, if sensible enough, still avoid an accident...

If you have an accident on a bike i agree it will be a lot worse than in a car, but isnt it easier to avoid accidents with motorbikes, as in better agility etc... than a car???

By riding sensibly, you can reduce the chance of an accident, but if somebody pulls out in front of you at a junction (because they didn't see you), then there's no way you're going to stop in time, and it's likely to be nasty.

It is in a way easier to avoid accident on a bike, but you can't just slam the brakes on if you need to, and 99% of bikes don't have ABS. Then there's thing like diesel spills, which can kill, however careful you are.

In the end, it's your choice; bikes are a lot of fun, but you're at a much bigger risk than if you were driving a car.....think of the car crash you had, would you have survived if you'd been on a bike?
Reply 11
About the guy who went into a van on a 125: I'm doing bike training at the moment (I'm 17 so it's a 125cc) and i get the impression that riding a 125 is far more dangerous than a more powerful bike, especially when you're going up a hill on an A road, wind against you, and this f*****g huge lorry is gaining on you because your 125 is dying at 60mph. (ok now replace "you are" with "I was" and you get the picture :rolleyes:) On a 125 car drivers often get the impression that your bike is more powerful than it really is, so they will treat you as such. (this is especially true with the Honda 125 Varadero, which looks huge, but has little more power than any other electric toothbrush)

Riding is fun, and I don't regret the decision I made, but remember: It's not you, it's the other idiots (namely careless car drivers who open their doors without looking in the mirror first :eek: )
Reply 12
SyncMaster_770
...think of the car crash you had, would you have survived if you'd been on a bike?

If the car had hit me.....probably not. Though i think maybe on a motorbike ( a powerful one....not this restricted rubbish lol ) i may have been able to get out of it.

I think im just gonna get the bike and see what happens! :biggrin:
I ride but not in the UK - it's far too dangerous. I used to ride off road in the UK but when I came out to Asia I got a bike and I've never had an accident yet (touch wood!!!).

You're better off getting a Caterham or similar in the UK instead of a bike.

Latest

Trending

Trending