The Student Room Group

Area word problem

so i'm back to my pre-calc packet, yay!. i went through it the first time and after getting help with 2 questions, i've come back because i forgot about another question whose answer doesn't feel right at all...

"A farmer has 1200 yards of fencing. find the maximum area that can be enclosed by the fencing. consider a variety of shapes including rectangles, squares and circles."

I assumed a circle was the best option but ended up with a ridiculous number. here's what i did:

circumference = 1200 so. 1200=2πr1200=2 \pi r and r=600πr=\frac{600}{\pi}

then the for the area... π×6002π2\pi \times \frac{600^2}{\pi^2} which comes out as 114,591.559yards^2. which seems obscenely high. i did it with a circumference of 10 and came out with about 8 so i figure something that far off can't be right. so if someone just wants to check my work and tell me what i'm doing wrong?? thanks guys
it's right.

600^2 is large...
Why don't you try it for circumferences of 20, 30 and 40? The obscenely high figure (which looks right to me, by the way) comes from the fact that you square the radius in finding the area, but not in finding the circumference; put another way, area is proportional to the square of the circumference.
Reply 3
really? ha well that beats my square with 900yards^2 then.

thanks man, again.
Anick14
really? ha well that beats my square with 900yards^2 then.

thanks man, again.

the square had 90000 yards^2...
Reply 5
Totally Tom
the square had 90000 yards^2...

yeah i noticed what i said that after i sent it. my friend sent me a simplified problem and i mixed up papers. i promise, i understand.

Latest