The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Meteorshower
Well, that's good to know at least :p:

And I think my girlfriend would have something to say about that! Not to mention his underpants don't do anything for me :p:

Are you sure...everyone has their little secret :p:
God, Skins is completely ridiculous :p:
Reply 2242
Meteorshower
God, Skins is completely ridiculous :p:

yep. I always feel like I have such a boring life watching it:p: Which series?
akj08
yep. I always feel like I have such a boring life watching it:p: Which series?

If boring life means not getting your house completely destroyed and invaded by a hobo, then so be it :p:

I'm half way through series 1. I'm trying hard to find characters I like :p: Cassie and jal seem ok though if not a bit screwed up!
God, Skins is a piece of atrocious decadence commissioned with a cynical view to titillate a cretinous demographic already deeply anaesthetised by similar garbage of its ilk, showcasing soporifically contrived displays of bombast which... yields neither to realism nor what any sane person would hold as aspiration... but simply to the dull, petulant fantasies of the most unengaged adolescents of this nation.

It is also quite ridiculous.
Yeah yeah, I think it's fairly amusing :p:
Reply 2246
Pedrobear
God, Skins is a piece of atrocious decadence commissioned with a cynical view to titillate a cretinous demographic already deeply anaesthetised by similar garbage of its ilk, showcasing soporifically contrived displays of bombast which... yields neither to realism nor what any sane person would hold as aspiration... but simply to the dull, petulant fantasies of the most unengaged adolescents of this nation.

This.
Meteorshower
Yeah yeah, I think it's fairly amusing :p:

It probably is (though maybe in a different way than t'was intended). I've only caught little parts of it here and there, to be honest. Anyway, I'm going to La Tasca tonight, I'm in no mood to argue on the internet, particularly not over Skins. Have fun with it!
Reply 2248
Meteorshower
If boring life means not getting your house completely destroyed and invaded by a hobo, then so be it :p:

I'm half way through series 1. I'm trying hard to find characters I like :p: Cassie and jal seem ok though if not a bit screwed up!

There can be a lot to be said for a boring life...
I quite liked Sid. The 'loud' characters like Chris (and to a much greater extent Cook) really annoyed me. They're all really screwed up. The whole way through it I was like oh would you just get over yourself and be normal:p:

Makes Bristol seem like a much dodgier place than it's thought of though. Between skins and mistresses (anyone seen that?), you'd think that both the teenage and middle-aged generations were all narcissistic drug-taking, joyriding, hobo-loving, hedonistic depressed sex addicts with atrocious decision making skills and major "issues":p:
I never claimed Skins was realistic. :p: Call it escapism if you like. Didn't mind Sid and Cassie in the first series. Thought Cassie had essentially no redeeming features whatsoever in the second run, although that was the least of that season's problems.
Pedrobear

Of course it's not realistic, or aspirational. That's the point. It doesn't berate, or glamourise, it is what it is - it's entertainment.

Using a thesaurus on every second word, by the way, does not make you sound like a genius.
Reply 2251
Pedrobear
It probably is (though maybe in a different way than t'was intended). I've only caught little parts of it here and there, to be honest. Anyway, I'm going to La Tasca tonight, I'm in no mood to argue on the internet, particularly not over Skins. Have fun with it!

I went to La Tasca last weekend, mmmmmmmmm :yep:
Have fun! :biggrin:
And get the crema catalana thingy :wink:
Reply 2252
Bassmonkey

Using a thesaurus on every second word, by the way, does not make you sound like a genius.

Glad someone else shared that thought :p:
TheUnbeliever
I never claimed Skins was realistic. :p: Call it escapism if you like. Didn't mind Sid and Cassie in the first series. Thought Cassie had essentially no redeeming features whatsoever in the second run, although that was the least of that season's problems.

Yeah I think it's good (so far at least) mainly because the situation are completely crazy, which makes it somewhat interesting :p:

Is the second series worth watching? At the rate i'm going though i'll have watched them all before the weekend is up...
Bassmonkey
Of course it's not realistic, or aspirational. That's the point. It doesn't berate, or glamourise, it is what it is - it's entertainment.

:yep: Well said.
Meteorshower
Is the second series worth watching?

Not in my opinion. I thought the stories were poorer, the one potentially really good story was poorly handled and it didn't tie things up nicely at the end.
TheUnbeliever
Not in my opinion. I thought the stories were poorer, the one potentially really good story was poorly handled and it didn't tie things up nicely at the end.

Is it that useful to have seen it for the third series?
Meteorshower

Not at all, the only character in S3 you'll know is Effy. (and Pandora, who pops in S2 for an episode). Other than that, it's an entirely new cast.
Meteorshower

No, there is essentially no connection (other than Effy being a character in all three series). I watched the third series before the second with no problems.
Meteorshower

Is the second series worth watching?

I personally quite enjoyed it, series 1 focussed mainly on all the partying, drug-taking, promiscuity, etc, whereas series 2 was more about the come-down after all the partying, and the consequences.

Latest