The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ape Gone Insane
Yes I know that but it's not SNUBBLES or SNUBS!

Okay, official name Paddington (obviously), colloquially known as Snubs.

Spoiler

Muchas gratias!
CallumFR
I'm using T=2πLgT = 2\pi \sqrt \frac{L}{g} and then rearranging to get get T2L=gradient=4π2g\frac{T^2}{L} = gradient = \frac{4\pi^2}{g} and then just solving for g.

for my uncertainties i worked out the random uncertainty in T and i worked out the gradient uncertainty using some equation.

what value of g did you get? i got a miserable 10.32m/s²
Reply 2322
Haha, i'm in a friends getting ready to go to the pub and i still manage to go on this is that sad ahaha
Ronar
Haha, i'm in a friends getting ready to go to the pub and i still manage to go on this is that sad ahaha

you get served at a pub?
Reply 2324
Ronar

Have fun. I'll be thinking about you when I'm stuck in reading a book...:huff:
Dado Prso
for my uncertainties i worked out the random uncertainty in T and i worked out the gradient uncertainty using some equation.

what value of g did you get? i got a miserable 10.32m/s²

I got 9.99 +- 0.26 m/s² :biggrin:
I wonder if that experiment is the only choice for the LO3 (which is what this is, right?) because it's what we did last year, too. :o:
TheUnbeliever
I wonder if that experiment is the only choice for the LO3 (which is what this is, right?) because it's what we did last year, too. :o:

Yes, it's for the LO3 :smile:
CallumFR
I got 9.99 +- 0.26 m/s² :biggrin:

Uncertainty only goes to one sig fig, and your value for g gets rounded off at what unit that is.

So it's 10 +- 0.3 m/s^2

Sorry if that sounds far less accurate, but that's what you have to do!
Meteorshower
Uncertainty only goes to one sig fig, and your value for g gets rounded off at what unit that is.

So it's 10 +- 0.3 m/s^2

pff :p: I don't recall ever being told that. Thanks for the correction :smile:
CallumFR
pff :p: I don't recall ever being told that. Thanks for the correction :smile:

I only found out three days before my investigation was due in!
TheUnbeliever

No there's different choices for the LO3. I remember seeing a whole sheet of them and one of the e/m experiments was on there. Measuring g is the most common probably because your teacher don't expect you to do it for the full project and it's also in unit 1.
Meteorshower

So it's 10 +- 0.3 m/s^2

:confused: We were told it is the same amount as the data it derived from.
ukdragon37
:confused: We were told it is the same amount as the data it derived from.

Actually now I think about it I may be confused...

Ugh :p: My head can't think about it properly... I know that the uncertainty is only quoted to 1 sig fig though.. I'm fairly sure?
Reply 2334
:ninja: :colondollar:
Ape Gone Insane
:awesome: which of you guys is Big Fat Man Boobs?

:ninja:

:confused:

Meteorshower
Actually now I think about it I may be confused...

Ugh :p: My head can't think about it properly... I know that the uncertainty is only quoted to 1 sig fig though.. I'm fairly sure?

Looking back at past papers, it looks like it's more than 1 sig fig...
ukdragon37
:confused:

Presumably someone signed his guestbook under that name.
TheUnbeliever
Presumably someone signed his guestbook under that name.

Someone should sig a counter-advert advising people NOT to sign that guestbook.

Include lines such as "damaging to your health" and "most likely a scam to steal money from inside your computer".

Fear always sells :biggrin:
ukdragon37
Looking back at past papers, it looks like it's more than 1 sig fig...

I was told to always quote the final uncertainty value to one significant figure for investigations/other crap, and the final value to the unit this uncertainty is in. I realise you can have other ones but that's just what I was told/think I read somewhere. What I think this effectively means is do all the calculations with as many figures as you want but leave it at 1 for the final value

Looking at my investigation i've done that every time...

CallumFR, i would suggest looking for a copy of "uncertainties in physics" at your school, it's the one they base what you should do from. See what that says, if I'm wrong fair enough, but I'm pretty confident this was at least what my physics teacher said to do.
Meteorshower
I was told to always quote the final uncertainty value to one significant figure for investigations/other crap, and the final value to the unit this uncertainty is in. I realise you can have other ones but that's just what I was told/think I read somewhere. What I think this effectively means is do all the calculations with as many figures as you want but leave it at 1 for the final value

Looking at my investigation i've done that every time...

CallumFR, i would suggest looking for a copy of "uncertainties in physics" at your school, it's the one they base what you should do from. See what that says, if I'm wrong fair enough, but I'm pretty confident this was at least what my physics teacher said to do.

I just happen to have a copy handy :biggrin:

It looks like 1 sig. fig. is the amount most usually chosen but it does use other amounts in the booklet.

Latest