Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Yes I know that but it's not SNUBBLES or SNUBS!
    Okay, official name Paddington (obviously), colloquially known as Snubs.

Spoiler:
    Show

Muchas gratias!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    I'm using T = 2\pi  \sqrt \frac{L}{g} and then rearranging to get get \frac{T^2}{L} = gradient = \frac{4\pi^2}{g} and then just solving for g.
    for my uncertainties i worked out the random uncertainty in T and i worked out the gradient uncertainty using some equation.

what value of g did you get? i got a miserable 10.32m/s²

ReputationRep:
    Haha, i'm in a friends getting ready to go to the pub and i still manage to go on this is that sad ahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Haha, i'm in a friends getting ready to go to the pub and i still manage to go on this is that sad ahaha
    you get served at a pub?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Have fun. I'll be thinking about you when I'm stuck in reading a book...:huff:

(Original post by Dado Prso)
    for my uncertainties i worked out the random uncertainty in T and i worked out the gradient uncertainty using some equation.

what value of g did you get? i got a miserable 10.32m/s²
    I got 9.99 +- 0.26 m/s²

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if that experiment is the only choice for the LO3 (which is what this is, right?) because it's what we did last year, too. :o:

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    I wonder if that experiment is the only choice for the LO3 (which is what this is, right?) because it's what we did last year, too. :o:
    Yes, it's for the LO3

ReputationRep:
    I got 9.99 +- 0.26 m/s²
    Uncertainty only goes to one sig fig, and your value for g gets rounded off at what unit that is.

So it's 10 +- 0.3 m/s^2

Sorry if that sounds far less accurate, but that's what you have to do!

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    Uncertainty only goes to one sig fig, and your value for g gets rounded off at what unit that is.

So it's 10 +- 0.3 m/s^2

pff :p: I don't recall ever being told that. Thanks for the correction

ReputationRep:
    pff :p: I don't recall ever being told that. Thanks for the correction
    I only found out three days before my investigation was due in!

ReputationRep:
    No there's different choices for the LO3. I remember seeing a whole sheet of them and one of the e/m experiments was on there. Measuring g is the most common probably because your teacher don't expect you to do it for the full project and it's also in unit 1.

ReputationRep:

So it's 10 +- 0.3 m/s^2

:confused: We were told it is the same amount as the data it derived from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    :confused: We were told it is the same amount as the data it derived from.
    Actually now I think about it I may be confused...

Ugh :p: My head can't think about it properly... I know that the uncertainty is only quoted to 1 sig fig though.. I'm fairly sure?

ReputationRep:
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :awesome: which of you guys is Big Fat Man Boobs?

:ninja:
    :confused:

Actually now I think about it I may be confused...

Ugh :p: My head can't think about it properly... I know that the uncertainty is only quoted to 1 sig fig though.. I'm fairly sure?
    Looking back at past papers, it looks like it's more than 1 sig fig...

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    Presumably someone signed his guestbook under that name.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably someone signed his guestbook under that name.
    Someone should sig a counter-advert advising people NOT to sign that guestbook.

Include lines such as "damaging to your health" and "most likely a scam to steal money from inside your computer".

Fear always sells

ReputationRep:
    Looking back at past papers, it looks like it's more than 1 sig fig...
    I was told to always quote the final uncertainty value to one significant figure for investigations/other crap, and the final value to the unit this uncertainty is in. I realise you can have other ones but that's just what I was told/think I read somewhere. What I think this effectively means is do all the calculations with as many figures as you want but leave it at 1 for the final value

Looking at my investigation i've done that every time...

CallumFR, i would suggest looking for a copy of "uncertainties in physics" at your school, it's the one they base what you should do from. See what that says, if I'm wrong fair enough, but I'm pretty confident this was at least what my physics teacher said to do.

ReputationRep:
    I was told to always quote the final uncertainty value to one significant figure for investigations/other crap, and the final value to the unit this uncertainty is in. I realise you can have other ones but that's just what I was told/think I read somewhere. What I think this effectively means is do all the calculations with as many figures as you want but leave it at 1 for the final value

Looking at my investigation i've done that every time...

CallumFR, i would suggest looking for a copy of "uncertainties in physics" at your school, it's the one they base what you should do from. See what that says, if I'm wrong fair enough, but I'm pretty confident this was at least what my physics teacher said to do.
    I just happen to have a copy handy

It looks like 1 sig. fig. is the amount most usually chosen but it does use other amounts in the booklet.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.