The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kirsteneg
Nope. Couldn't when there was the prospeect of TGI Fridays. :p: I also wanted to see the new sports village but we just drove by it instead.

Is TGI's down by the beach? The sport village looks good, there is always something you want to do but time or another factor gets in the way. :frown:
TheUnbeliever
Of course. :smile: Although I have to admit to being a little bit of an aesthete, which did factor into my university applications perhaps fractionally more than it should have done! :o: Since I don't know much about this, and I'm nosy: what kind of variations are there in the content of English degrees?

Tbh I can't imagine how an aesthete would go for Edinburgh, unless there were vast parts of it that I didn't see at the Open Day. McEwan (sp?) Hall was sensational, though :p:

Basically, English degrees can either be very traditional (Shakespeare, ye olde shoppe, Milton, Jane Austen etc) or more modern (Jeanette Winterson, Catcher in the Rye, Irvine Welsh, Virginia Woolf etc). The former can be found at Cambridge, UCL, Durham etc, while the latter appears at various other unis. Edinburgh seems to have the perfect balance of both, though, and that is what I want. Having said that, I need to research other courses more thoroughly.
rosie9391
Is TGI's down by the beach? The sport village looks good, there is always something you want to do but time or another factor gets in the way. :frown:

Yeah it's next to cineworld and jimmy chung's, chiquitos and frankie and benny's.
Did anyone watch Dead set when it was on???

E4 the now, :smile:
ArcadiaHouse
Tbh I can't imagine how an aesthete would go for Edinburgh, unless there were vast parts of it that I didn't see at the Open Day. McEwan (sp?) Hall was sensational, though :p:

Basically, English degrees can either be very traditional (Shakespeare, ye olde shoppe, Milton, Jane Austen etc) or more modern (Jeanette Winterson, Catcher in the Rye, Irvine Welsh, Virginia Woolf etc). The former can be found at Cambridge, UCL, Durham etc, while the latter appears at various other unis. Edinburgh seems to have the perfect balance of both, though, and that is what I want. Having said that, I need to research other courses more thoroughly.

Aberdeen has a 'Controversial classics' module that looks ace. :biggrin:
Kirsteneg
Yeah it's next to cineworld and jimmy chung's, chiquitos and frankie and benny's.

I'm going to be hopeless in a big city :frown: I shall get a bit more familiar with the layout before I arrive though. :o:
nessiehibs

Was that that Big Brother based thing? If so, no I didn't watch it. :p:

How was work tonight?
rosie9391
I'm going to be hopeless in a big city :frown: I shall get a bit more familiar with the layout before I arrive though. :o:

'big city'-hahahahahahahahaha. :rofl:
nessiehibs

I did. It's so crap. :yep:
Anyone watching the inbetweeners?
ArcadiaHouse

The McEwan hall is spectacular; my school used to use it for a few ceremonies (since switched to another venue). There are a good few parts of the university that are, at best, dull. However, they mingle with the city's medieval, gothic, baroque, Georgian and more modern architecture, much of which still belongs to the university. As a further example, there's a building I can't for the life of me remember the name of, although I think it's another one for the Divinities faculty, on George IV bridge (on the right as you walk towards the HBOS headquarters, substantially recessed behind a lawn) which is particularly impressive.

Consequently, I can forgive it the occasional :lolwut: moment. Of course, it's all taste and subject to selection bias - I could quite easily choose particular buildings to make almost any university look hideous.

:o:

Edinburgh seems to have the perfect balance of both, though, and that is what I want. Having said that, I need to research other courses more thoroughly.

I see. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 4111
Gah :s-smilie: £50 for a train ticket to dundee -_-

I'll see if stagecoach are more magical.
Kirsteneg
'big city'-hahahahahahahahaha. :rofl:

Don't laugh! :o: For me it is since I'm not a city person, give me a Scottish Island any day. :p:
whoever just repped me thanks...i think it was ape. I'll rep back when I can.
LuhLah

Not that it will help much here, but it's worth looking at getting a Young Person's railcard if you travel by train not infrequently. EDIT: Megabus?

rosie9391
Don't laugh! :o: For me it is since I'm not a city person, give me a Scottish Island any day. :p:

Oh dear. Rosie's a cliché. :rofl:
LuhLah

Get a child one :p:
rosie9391

I'm not a city person either. :biggrin:

Anyway I have to go. Night everyone
rosie9391
Was that that Big Brother based thing? If so, no I didn't watch it. :p:

How was work tonight?

Yeh.

Work was pish, thanks. :smile: how was your day?
Kirsteneg
I'm not a city person either. :biggrin:

Anyway I have to go. Night everyone

Night! :wavey:
*was about to say have fun at school but it's the weekend already :s-smilie: *
Reply 4119
LuhLah

Is that from ayr? I know if it's glasgow to dundee it should be nowhere near £50 :lolwut:

And is it a direct train your getting? skip the express and get it from glasgow for a half cheap day return and your laughing :P

Latest