The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conor-R
Haha, so these two are going to be sleeping beside a dirty bike tire :tongue: ....only at AVS!

Selling it well, there. :tongue:
Reply 7941
RVC OFFER!

(Got it last week). Will definitely be firming Edinburgh though.
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Haha fair deal then, floor space in Liverpool in exchange for floor space at mine, deal :biggrin:

And you've got RVC covered, but god knows when that'll be. Not for years and years, I imagine. :tongue:
Reply 7943
Firmed Liverpool 2012 :smile:
Original post by gernumblies
And you've got RVC covered, but god knows when that'll be. Not for years and years, I imagine. :tongue:

Haha, so I have free accommodation for 2 AVS years, wooooop. :biggrin:
Slowly coming to the realisation that I won't get on a vet course, oh well I guess I'll be just as happy doing Biological Sciences at Durham :frown:

On a lighter note I just spent the full day at a haematology lab bagging and boxing 22,000 lancets :tongue: which I bagged by about 3pm (started at 9pm), then discovered I was two bags short, so I had to go through 220 bags full of lancets removing some to make up the other two bags. Lol :biggrin: At least I'm getting paid for it, yaayy!
Reply 7946
Original post by Louise2394
RVC of course, then you can meet ME!!!!!!!

No, more seriously, you'll end up loving wherever you pick. I suggest making a list of all the good things about each of them and go to the one with the biggest list!!

But.... London is obviously going to come out top!!!

Tbh, I am swayed rather a lot towards LONDONNNNNNNN!
Hello I have come on here for some very much needed advice. I just need to explain that I am a graduate and I am 26 years old. I applied to vet school last year and got offers from Bristol and Liverpool. Being a graduate they wanted to charge me between £18,000 and £20,000 a year. I 'ummmed' and 'arrred' but in the end decided I couldn't afford it and to apply again this year for Nottingham and RVC which are £9,000 a year. I didn't even get an interview for RVC, but did so for Notts and I have literally just received my rejection :frown: veeeery UPSETTING!!!! I still have my offer for Bristol so now I need advice on wether to bite the bullet and fork out the cash for Bristol or try again for RVC next year (UHhhh, the thought of going through it all again!) Also, I don't know if I would loose my place for Bristol for good and and then risk not being able to get into RVC, so stuck with no place... Just any advice would be very, very much appreciated!! I have sent 100's of letters asking for funding and already been down that road...

BTW... do vet med as your first degree, always!
Reply 7948
Original post by bluebird13
Hello I have come on here for some very much needed advice. I just need to explain that I am a graduate and I am 26 years old. I applied to vet school last year and got offers from Bristol and Liverpool. Being a graduate they wanted to charge me between £18,000 and £20,000 a year. I 'ummmed' and 'arrred' but in the end decided I couldn't afford it and to apply again this year for Nottingham and RVC which are £9,000 a year. I didn't even get an interview for RVC, but did so for Notts and I have literally just received my rejection :frown: veeeery UPSETTING!!!! I still have my offer for Bristol so now I need advice on wether to bite the bullet and fork out the cash for Bristol or try again for RVC next year (UHhhh, the thought of going through it all again!) Also, I don't know if I would loose my place for Bristol for good and and then risk not being able to get into RVC, so stuck with no place... Just any advice would be very, very much appreciated!! I have sent 100's of letters asking for funding and already been down that road...

You MUST take up your offer for Bristol. You cant risk another years application and the same happening again. its sooooo hard to get offered a place for vetmed so if you have one take it. You have tried this year to get onto a cheaper course and its not worked out so If you want to be a vet then go for it. Do you have to pay the Fees up front as a graduate or can you get some of it on a loan? The least you should do is talk to Bristol re funding help they do have some funds available for students with financial difficulties or is it just the thought of that much money?? Over a lifetime well its not soooo bad! I think once you are on the course you will be able to source funding have you looked at the army vet corps? Just an idea. Good Luck whatever you decide.....:smile:
Hello I have come on here for some very much needed advice. I just need to explain that I am a graduate and I am 26 years old...

I'm really sorry to hear about your rejections and can see why this is such a difficult situation for you. Have you asked for feedback from RVC and Notts? I know that Notts don't have the best reputation for being helpful to unsuccessful candidates but as you were interviewed I think it's worth at least asking.

If you get some idea of why you were rejected (and why RVC didn't interview you) this might help you decide if it's worth trying again next year, as it may be something you can improve on. It's also worth contacting Bristol to ask if you'd still have a place next year if you decided to reapply, I'm sure it's not an uncommon situation for grads to be in so I'd imagine they'd be understanding if you did want to try again for somewhere cheaper.

If Bristol would be willing to hold your offer for another year I would seriously consider trying for RVC one more time (I know that Notts don't consider undergraduate applicants again if they've been interviewed before so I'm asuming this is also the case with grads). The difference in fees IS big and vet med is stressful enough without financial worries.
I am also a graduate and will be starting vet med at Glasgow this year. My fees are over £20 000 per year so I fully sympathise with your dilema. It is a rediculous amount of money over a short period of time and you will probably spend most of your working life paying it off but, if this career is the thing you have always wanted to do and will have a positive influence on your future happiness, then its something you can't really put a price on. If you can get a definite reason as to why you weren't given a place this year and find a way to improve on it before next year, then wait to reapply in Sep. But if you don't get an answer, I agree with others and say take the Bristol place. Fees will continue to rise year after year, the cost of living will go up and competition for available places is also going to rise. Ask the university about financial support (sometimes they don't mention all the burseries available to you), ask banks, family etc. It would be awful if you risked it all for nothing and when you were given a place, the fees were even higher when you had first been offered a place!

It won't be easy surviving at vet school while funding yourself and sacrifices will have to be made but don't let short term problems affect your long time happiness. If you want something that bad, you will find a way to achieve it.
Reply 7951
Hi guys. Got my final rejection last thurs from RVC. Worst day of my life. I am completely heartbroken and have literally been in tears ever since. I cant sleep or eat anything. this has been my dream since i was 6 and everything i have done has been geared towards being a vet. The last few years have been so hard and stressful and i feel like I've let myself and everyone else in my family down. I got 3 interviews out of 4 and have 3 A * predictions and enough work experience so I don't really know what let me down apart from the fact that I'm not the most confident person ever. What makes it harder to bear is that 3 other people in my year got RVC offers and obviously they're all excited talking about accommodation and stuff while I'm quietly sobbing in a corner! I thought that the rvc interview had gone ok too! My head of year told me she was baffled as to why I'd missed out. I've asked for feedback so I guess I'll have to wait what that comes up with.

I'm definitely going to try again next year, but in
the meantime I'm terrified about having a gap year, and having no friends cos they've all gone off to uni. Anyone with any good gap year plans?

I'm thinking that anything I do will need to fit around the BMAT and applying/ interviews.

Congratulations to everyone with offers, I'm sure you know how lucky you are
Original post by Moo vet
Anyone with any good gap year plans?

I'm sorry to hear that. :frown:

Somewhere to start: write a list. Some easily accomplished things, some more difficult to achieve. Places you've wanted to go, events you want to go to, hobbies you never had the time to try, things like that. See how much of it you can do in a year, because in a year's time you'll be going to uni. :biggrin:

Just wanted to point out (and sorry to be a bit of a downer) but there is NO financial support for Grads. The unis specify about you being able to afford the fees prior to applying and accepting your place. As a second degree you are uneligable for tuition fee loans (even if you did not take them out for your first degree), bursaries or grants. You are eligable for maintence but thats only about 4-5k in Bristol. The hardship fund for students is only about £500 and you are unlikey to be eligable for it if you have already 'agreed' you can manage the fees costs by accepting your place. Also trying to raise funds from external companies is near on impossible, and your unlikey to ever recevie anything substancial.

Further education loans have been removed by banks a few years ago because of the recession. You may be able to get some other loans but its dependant on your credit, is likely to have a V. high interest rate and usually isnt even substancial ebough to cover any real fees (I think max is like 5k a year)

I am also pretty sure it says somewhere that Bristol does not allow you to defer entry on an already offered place (unless you previously stated it on your UCAS) and that you would have to reapply.

Personally (and I know how hard it would be!) would turn it down and apply to RVC if you know you cant afford it. It would be worse to get 2 years in and then have to give up because you cant pay your fees upfront each year.

Sorry to sound so harsh! (im not trying to!) Ive just done a lot of research on it (and im a Bristol grad). Do you mind me asking why you applyed for a course you couldnt fund? (You dont have to answer if its too personal but I couldnt bear the agony of having to turn down a place because of money! I couldnt imagine what your feeling now)

Just realised that your question was less about funding and more about high fees vs attempting to get lower fees. Just thought Id put in the financial bit into perspective. I also realise that you didnt say you couldnt afford it, just that you didnt want to! Brain....fried... just done an 8-6 shift at work so my brain doesnt read too good...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Moo vet
Hi guys. Got my final rejection last thurs from RVC. Worst day of my life. I am completely heartbroken and have literally been in tears ever since. I cant sleep or eat anything. this has been my dream since i was 6 and everything i have done has been geared towards being a vet. The last few years have been so hard and stressful and i feel like I've let myself and everyone else in my family down. I got 3 interviews out of 4 and have 3 A * predictions and enough work experience so I don't really know what let me down apart from the fact that I'm not the most confident person ever. What makes it harder to bear is that 3 other people in my year got RVC offers and obviously they're all excited talking about accommodation and stuff while I'm quietly sobbing in a corner! I thought that the rvc interview had gone ok too! My head of year told me she was baffled as to why I'd missed out. I've asked for feedback so I guess I'll have to wait what that comes up with.

the meantime I'm terrified about having a gap year, and having no friends cos they've all gone off to uni. Anyone with any good gap year plans?

I'm thinking that anything I do will need to fit around the BMAT and applying/ interviews.

So sorry to hear this. I was in your position last year and it felt like the world had ended. I was the only one in my group of 10 friends that wasn't going to uni and I felt exactly the same as you. But they haven't forgot me and I still meet up with them all when they get home from university. It may also seem like a long wait but trust me it flies by.

If your confidence isn't great at the minute then a gap year is perfect :smile: over my gap year I have grown up a lot and can talk to so many people with ease (something that I used to find more difficult). Gap years are a really good experience as long as you spend your time constructively. Try and get some voluntary experience with animals and do as much varied experience as possible.

And remember its soooooooooo competitive to get in so never think it's because you're not good enough that you didn't get in this time round.

If you want any more advice or have any questions you can message me :smile:

I'm sure one day you will be an amazing vet :smile:
Original post by Moo vet
Hi guys. Got my final rejection last thurs from RVC. Worst day of my life. I am completely heartbroken and have literally been in tears ever since. I cant sleep or eat anything. this has been my dream since i was 6 and everything i have done has been geared towards being a vet. The last few years have been so hard and stressful and i feel like I've let myself and everyone else in my family down. I got 3 interviews out of 4 and have 3 A * predictions and enough work experience so I don't really know what let me down apart from the fact that I'm not the most confident person ever.

I know it feels as though your world has come crashing down around your ears right now, and I also know that this may sound like a strange thing to say, but I wonder whether the fact that your whole life "has been geared towards being a vet", has been counterproductive. Obviously, you need to show commitment, but I get the feeling that it's beneficial to demonstrate a broader outlook, and an interest in the wider world outside of veterinary medicine. It suggests a more rounded character - more rounded characters are often more resilient, and resilience is one thing a vet needs in bucketloads!

I hope I don't sound rude, or patronising - I'm not trying to suggest that you're some kind of vetmed obsessive, I just think this gap year might be exactly what you need in order to gain some experience of the world, and to allow yourself a little freedom from the intensely narrow focus that you've had so far. I'm sure it will help your confidence, too.

That said, I feel for you so much, and hope you're getting lots of hugs and support. Don't worry about your friends - they'll always be your friends (well, the ones worth having will, at least!), and you'll make stacks of new ones, too! I know you don't think so now, but I bet you any money you'll look back at your gap year and feel so glad things worked out the way they did. Bet you! :smile:

By the way, I'm applying at 36, so whether you qualify in five, ten or fifteen years time, you'll still get to spend more time as a vet than me!
Reply 7956
Original post by Moo vet

I was also in your position last year, although I didn't get any interviews. I was devastated when I was rejected but like you I knew this was what I wanted to do so I decided to take a gap year. I recommend that you book an animal related gap year project so that you have something to look forward to - in two weeks time I'm off to South Africa to work with a vet and I arranged this shortly after I was rejected last year. I've also used my time to gain more work experience and I got a job in retail which as well as earning money (very useful when you won't be able to earn any for five years doing a vet course!) has helped develop my confidence.

I do miss my friends but I see them in the holidays which come around really quickly, and you can always go and visit them at uni as well :smile:

Although I know it feels rubbish at the moment, for me having a gap year has had its ups and downs, but the best bits so far have been when I've been busy doing vetty things.

Good luck with exams and reapplying x
I'm officially a Liverpool Vet Student!

Eyooo - HELLO YOU SCOUSERS!
Also, just a quick question - am I the only person who supports the badger cull here?
Original post by Moo vet

I'm at my third year of college this year and all my friends have gone off to university before me and by the looks of things i won't be going to university this year either! At the start i really missed my friends, it was horrible seeing there photos and stuff of them enjoying themselves at uni when i was there still at college.. but i soon realised how lucky i was not having the workload they have and being able to visit them in uni and spending weekends away! It's awesome! And with a gap year in mind for me this year, i'm actually really excited that i get a gap from education and being able to do some amazing things and travel! I definitely don't have a lot of confidence either but im going to spend this year improving it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending