The Student Room Group

worst teacher you had at school/college

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I only had him for a year in year 9, but my graphic design teacher. [this was before my GCSEs, I did NOT choose that subject]! He was generally a bit of a prick... he could kind of teach I guess but he had an ATTITUDE!! He was so sarcy, the kind of teacher you just can't help arguing with....urghhhh....I had some **** teachers who didn't even understand their subjects, but he's the only one I actually hated as a person
Reply 41
i had a physics GCSE teacher for a year who took powerpoints from the internet and put them on a timer so the slides would change every few mins. she then left the room and came 5 mins before the end to set homework :|
GCSE RE Teacher once ironed his pants during the lesson
Apart from my geography teacher, whom I mentioned in a previous post, I can remember a drama teacher who left a box of masks in the middle of the circle and left the room wit giving instructions.

When she returned, we had all got the masks out and were having fun playing with then (actually using the classical theatre techniques we had been learning previously.

She exploded with anger, took all the masks away from us and made us do book work for the rest of the lesson. In silence.

The cow said moo.

Then there was the maths supply teacher who we had for two terms (our actual teacher gave no indication of when he would return) and she was so bad, I taught the circle theorems and algebra material to the class.

For the record, all of us got Cs and above, and five got A* :party:
This one German teacher I had for GCSE
Reply 45
Original post by Member737,514
This one German teacher I had for GCSE

what did this teacher do that made them a bad teacher
Reply 46
My GCSE drama teacher... She was an English teacher who had taught her previous English GCSE class the wrong poems for the exam (resulting in them all doing worse then expected) so she was sent to teach us... She was awful, would sit at the computer and look at the John Lewis website or her facebook page. Many of her lessons were "improvise being a teenager homeless/ during world war two/ with a mental illness ect ect" sometimes throwing in a mask for good measure

making 15 and 16 year olds act out being teenagers? How imaginative :wink:

The school brought in a teaching assistant for year 11 THANK GOD (My performance grade went up from a D to and A* to give you a jist of how dire the situation was)
Reply 47
My Secondary school Geography teacher was a bit bad... he knew the subject well but simply couldn't control the class. Towards the end of Year 7 our class realised this and exploited it for the next 4 years. Once, two guys even started having a full on fight, which ended with throwing chairs at each other, and all the teacher did was say "settle down". It was ludicrous really. Other students in the class eventually broke up the fight when it started getting to the chair-throwing stage...
Original post by hbk4894
what did this teacher do that made them a bad teacher

She taught us the wrong material and the wrong criteria for the Coursework so we all ended up getting around 8/20 for those. She didn't mark our work most of the time, and even when she did all we got was a tick and no corrections despite there being many errors. The lessons basically comprised of her trying (and failing) to control the class and telling us to read the textbook. They were probably the most unproductive lessons I've ever had.
Reply 49
my Maths teacher in Year 8 was quite bad , couldnt control the class and a lot of the class kept walking out of the door about 10 mins before the end and she didnt do anything to stop it
Reply 50
I presented some of my notes that I summarized and my understanding of the topics to my chemistry teacher. All she did was have a very short look at it and said simply that it's not important to do such things.

Got the worst grade for it when the results came out.
My Primary 2 and Primary 3 teacher was horrible - I remember I had just came back holiday over the summer to find out I was going to be having her in P3. I burst into tears.

Also I had a Geography teacher in Year 9 who was also my Economics teacher in Year 10 and 11. She was horrible, and was so strict. She had a go at me once because my work was a bit messy and I was terrified. In Year 10 she went off for maternity leave and we got this lovely teacher - she was amazing.

Thankfully she left when I started Year 12, otherwise I think she would have been my economics teacher - I was seriously close in not taking economics at A Level because of her.

Original post by daisydaffodil
My maths teacher - had terrible dandruff and once scratched her head over my book, sending bits of skin flying :frown:

:ahhhhh: :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by AspiringGenius
My geography teacher in year eight came in and said he knew everything about geography. I decided to test his hypothesis. I asked him "what is the capital of Indonesia", his answer was "Indonesia is not a country, it's an island". I told him to say that to the 200 odd million people who call it their home.

I got sent out for "impertinence".

LOL your geography teacher is an ignorant dumbass. :tongue:
He would be an internet sensation if you posted him on youtube. Just like this
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hbk4894
who would you say has been your worst teacher , you dont have to say the name of the teacher if you dont want , you can do it if you want , but say why the person was a bad teacher

my 2 choices were both in primary , the first one which i am not going to name was this female teacher who was just really terrible , just kept shouting all the time , even made one boy cry once , and the other one was a male teacher who kept falling asleep in lessons and kept saying Good dog for some reason

ages will leave you with only the good ones```
Reply 54

A music teacher was jailed for two-and-a-half years today for having an affair with a sixth-former at one of the country's top grammar schools.

Married Darren Caudle-Wood, 38, seduced the shy A-level student after lessons and music practice at Pate's Grammar School, in Cheltenham.

The father of two was also accused of making passes at a number of other pupils in his and had also worked as a male prostitute.

Caudle-Wood, of Church Road, Cheltenham, denied seven charges of having sexual activity with a child under 18 while in a position of trust.

But a jury of six men and five women took just over two hours to find him unanimously guilty of all the charges.

Caudle-Wood, who was dressed smartly in a pinstripe suit, showed no emotion as the foreman delivered his verdict at Gloucester Crown Court.

In sentencing Caudle-Wood, Judge Martin Picton said he had stolen part of the girl's childhood.

"In my view this was genuinely wicked behaviour on your part because you misused your position of trust you were in."

"The knowledge you had of [her] background, naivety and difficulties to manipulate her and to seduce her.

"I suppose in a way that totally ignored her rights and her sensitivities and in a way that was utterly selfish and very damaging for her.

"I only have to watch her give evidence to see the damage it has caused. You stole part of her childhood. She was very vulnerable, you knew that and you treated her in an utterly shoddy way and in an utterly selfish way.

"You have utterly failed to understand the boundaries which should apply in a teacher-pupil relationship. You have failed to act in a way a teacher should and you have failed to act in a way a decent human being should. You let down your wife, her family and you have let down yourself."

The judge told the teacher that he had "taken his chances" and gambled on being found not guilty by a jury even though the evidence against him was "overwhelming".

He said Caudle-Wood would have to serve at least half his two-and-a-half year jail term but would also face an extended period of licence of a further two and a half years.

He was also disqualified from working with children under the age of 18 and told to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

His wife Rose, with his father Victor and mother-in-law, watched from the public gallery as the sentence was passed down.

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was studying at the highly-rated school, where Caudle-Wood had been director of music since 1999.

He was soon inviting the 17-year-old into his office after , where they discussed their mutual love of Wagner and how he could help her get into Oxford University.

They began meeting in secret after rehearsals for the school play, Christmas carol concerts, music lessons and even after an exam. They would kiss, hug and Caudle-Wood frequently made sexually explicit remarks to her during their eight-month affair.

He told the vulnerable teenager, who suffered from depression, that he loved her and asked her to be his girlfriend, claiming his marriage was over.

Caudle-Wood, who described himself as an "old-fashioned" teacher, later persuaded the girl to meet him in a B&B room where a prostitute friend had prepared a candle-lit setting in a brothel.

The girl said she had been terrified, but agreed to get into bed with her teacher who she now "cared for deeply".

The couple were sexually intimate but it fell short of full intercourse, the jury heard.

Caudle-Wood, who sat on the school's Oxbridge Admissions Board, had already been investigated by police over claims that he had an inappropriate relationship with a pupil at another school in 1993. Despite facing no charges, he left by "mutual agreement" shortly afterwards.

As his affair with his A-Level student began to flourish, Caudle-Wood was already building up his defence in case he was caught out.

He informed the headteacher that the teenager had a crush on him and was sending him inappropriate text messages.

Their affair only became public after the teenager was summoned to see the headteacher to explain why she had been harassing Caudle-Wood.

She then confessed that they had been having a relationship.

Caudle-Wood was arrested in October 2005 but claimed she was a fantasist. But three other pupils - including a male sixth-former - also told how he had kissed them and invited them back to his flat.

More damaging details of his private life also emerged during the trial, including claims that he worked as a male prostitute and had used heroin.

Judge Picton praised the evidence given by Donna Harding, the prostitute who had "bravely" testified against the once-respected music teacher.

He said: "She was in a very difficult position when she exposed her history to the public by having the courage to tell the true story of this case."

Harding, 29, who is battling drug addiction, was awarded £250 by the judge in recognition of having come forward.

The girl in question was my best-friend at the time; the teacher in question was a colossal ****. I happily testified at the trial.
Reply 55
I have a few of those.

On the first day of my Spanish class, I said this in Portuguese "Mrs. Xxxxxx, you look beautiful, glowing. Are you expecting?"
I think she might have understood what I said, and then pretended like I didn't say anything and carried on with the class. Apparently in the US it's really rude to ask whether she was pregnant or not, especially when she was in fact not pregnant. I didn't know that it was impolite since in my culture it's usual for people to ask! She hated me ever since and would pick on me for everything (no gum, no talking, no texting, no sunglasses even though I just had an eye injury from sport and had to wear sunglasses because my eyes were really sensitive, no water even during the summer, no hall pass more than twice a year)

My 10th grade physics teacher was really, really smart, but he couldn't teach. He would write down a formula on the whiteboard and started talking to himself and started playing with the formula or the problems, and ignoring the whole class. I ended up having a C in his class because I learned nothing.

My 10th grade math teacher was an Islamic supremacist, he would talk about religious stuff even though he wasn't supposed to, and he would give extra credits for people who could write numbers in Arabic and stuff. He got fired after 8 months for making a student doing push-ups for being late, leaving us with only 2 months to learn the whole year material. 10th grade was a **** year.

My PE teacher got fired by the end of 12th year for because he would hug the girls and let them sit on his lap and therefore the pretty girls got all As and the others who actually worked hard ended up with Bs and Cs. There was a rumor that he slept with one of the 10th graders, so he was fired. Stupid girl if it were true, but he was good looking so a lot of his students had a crush on him.

My music teacher in 12th grade came from deep south and she had this southern Alabama accent and apparently was racist, she held an audition for the Glee club and the show choir, and only let the white kids in, all the colored kids (some of which were really, really good and were in Glee club and show choir from last year) didn't get in. The principal then told her that she couldn't do that, so she re-auditioned the colored kids and let them all in, but she made this really racist seating arrangement and would separate the whites from the colored, until the first month when she got fired for calling an Asian kid "Asian, stop chatting! No, not you, the darker Asian." It was a WTF moment and one of the parents called the district superintendent and made sure that she got fired.

Oh it just happened a few months ago, during Civics final exam the exam paper misspelled a word as another word that meant 'penis' in a really dirty way so the whole class was laughing, I didn't understand what was going on because I usually work on my essays before my MC, so I didn't catch it. A few minutes later, when I read it I started laughing uncontrollably and the teacher supervising (RE teacher) came to me and hit me with a newspaper, so I stood up and asked what's wrong with him, he couldn't do that, and I started yelling at him in rage. I even showed him the exam paper and read the passage out loud, and the other supervisor giggled a little. I told him that I would report him if he didn't apologize - if I reported him he would lose his job - but he's known to have hit people with books and with his bare hand but no one had stood up. He ended up apologizing, and I (suspiciously) got a 92 on my RE test even though I didn't study at all.

I had a bunch of bad teachers... :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
In all my years of School and higher education I have only had 4 teachers that I believe I learned anything from, the rest were atrocious. Public education at its best, a job for everyone regardless of quality.
Reply 57
None of my teachers have been all that bad fortunately (apart from that primary school teacher who told us off for eating in class, then proceeded to eat a banana, drink coke and burp profusely :wink: ).

I know another class in my school had an English teacher who basically regurgitated spark notes for every lesson. Apparently she was just using it word for word, thinking that her students wouldn't notice. Too bad that they did :tongue:
Original post by The Fez
LOL your geography teacher is an ignorant dumbass. :tongue:
He would be an internet sensation if you posted him on youtube. Just like this

I would probably been just as sensational for being such a pedant. I'm normally not so bad, but teachers like him.,, grrr.

Our end of year fun quiz was always fun. I would correct his answers to half the quiz so in the end, I always won!
Reply 59
In Year 8, I had the worst maths teacher ever. He was awful and had no behaviour management skills whatsoever. Girls would put chewing gum on his chair and he'd sit on it then instead of going mental (as most teachers would have) he just got mildly annoyed and said stuff like "ohh no...that's not on. I wish I could make you pay for cleaning this off!"

Once when he was teaching, a girl from the back row shuffled a massive two-person desk up the side of the rows (while she was sitting at it) until it ended up at the front. Everyone was laughing and it was making a loud scraping noise but the teacher ignored it for ages until she was right in his face at the front. He then said "oh...that's a bit out of order!" - honestly, he just made a laughing stock of himself and nobody ever learnt anything as a result. I won't even start on the time some girls came back from a singing lesson and he asked them to sing a Christmas carol for us, in the middle of a lesson. He was a bit of an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending