The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is slightly related because its work exp - im going to an abbotoir tomorrow and Im petrified! I couldn't get in touch with them (whats the point in having a phone if your not going to answer it? Grrr!) so Im not really sure what to bring or wear or anything. Wen I spoke with them on the phone a couple of months ago I could barely understand what they were saying and apparently they are all spanish and don't know too much english. I have no idea what to expect! Can anybody whos been to an abbotoir before give me some idea of what to expect tomorrow? Thank you!
OK..so it's been about 4 years since i went to an abbotoir (spelling?!) ..but the whole Spanish thing...yeah...bit of a pain! when i went the vet was Spanish and could barely speak any English!!!:s-smilie:

-spent most of the time with one of the meat inspectors- he was (for want of a better description) one of the "old boys" (English btw so no worries...) - was really lovely and didn't mind me asking any questions - was really good in showing me all the types of problems you get with the meat - including lungworm etc

.... i wore jeans and a top when i went and they gave me white wellies and a white boiler suit to wear over my stuff when we went into the area where the slaughtering took place and where they processed the meat.

as a heads up - watch some of the younger blokes handling the offal- they seem to find it amusing to throw it at you if you are anywhere near the chute!!:eek: - just keep your eyes open and u'll be fine...i managed to not get hit!:smile:
Were people accomodating and used to vet and work exp students? I'm worried they won't know what to do to me!
yeah- they were really good to me - the Spanish vet was a bit useless- but the meat inspector who took me round more than made up for it :biggrin:

...i guess it depends on the individuals - if you find someone who's nice at any wrk experience it can make all the difference!

At the end of the day it's another tick in the box to keep the uni's happy - just try and make the most of it - you can't really prepare any questions....just ask as you go!

i would say have fun...but that would be Bizzare:eek: !

How many days are you doing?
Just 2. I already have a place so its not necessarily keeping the unis happy, I just feel like its something that would be useful to do and would give me a good insight.

I'll let you know how it goes xxx
Egglet
What Nuffield bursary project was yours? I did one for four weeks at Bristol uni dissecting fox hearts and lungs! It was really interesting, I think people should apply for the Nuffield bursaries, and try and get one vet related. It was really good!

just in reply to egglet. mine was on cattle lameness. i basically followed the vet around and did some coreltions to see the relationships between lameness in cattle, milk production and general health. pretty basic, yours sounds more interesting than mine. but i agree that anyone who has a chance to do nufffield burasry should totally do it.
)(--becca--)(
I already have a place

yep...hopefully c u at Liverpool - it's something good to do...plus we have to do some more in 3rd year anyway!!

I was only able to see sheep at mine - so fingers crossed you get to see more :smile:
Reply 47
Mad Prospective Vet

as a heads up - watch some of the younger blokes handling the offal- they seem to find it amusing to throw it at you if you are anywhere near the chute!!:eek: - just keep your eyes open and u'll be fine...i managed to not get hit!:smile:

no! they throw it at you even if you are miles away from an offal bin! they were having an offal fight, then threw a massive bit at me, it landed on my head, and stayed there. With no gloves or anything, i was thinking, what should i do, should i touch it?! they thought it was funny, at least i had a hard hat on so it didnt goo up my hair.

Yeah I had a spanish vet too, he spoke so fast i had no idea what he was saying. 80% of the time i just nodded and was like "ohhhh".
Reply 48
Spindle
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm hopefully applying to vet med for entry in 2009 but I'm a mature student as I'm 23 atm.

I come from a rural area where thankfully I know the farmers very well. I've been offered as long as I want on a dairy farm, beef farm, sheep farm, vets practice and stud farm.

I have about 16 years of experience working with and owning horses. Up until recently I had three of my own. Will this count toward any sort of experience? Also, are there any areas that I should focus on? Farmers have mentioned going to an abattoir to me, but my local one takes horses so I don't think I could really. Do unis like to see abattoir work experience? I don't mind the blood and gore, it's just that one of my own horses recently went to that abattoir after he was put down so I really don't think I could hack it :s:

Yup the horse experience will count, though it might be worth getting one week at that stud farm (or two) as its probably an aspect of horses you have not come across. Get lots of vet experience (small AND large animal). The other main ones are dairy and lambing. Otherwise from that, you can go off on tangents, anything you fancy or can get really! Might be good to get a few weeks with dogs (kennels, hunt kennels, dog walking, dog grooming etc!) and other small animals.

Abattoir experience isn't required but i certainly learnt a lot from my three days at one (one day was just horses - i have two horses, so i thought i might be put off but it just seemed only slightly strange. The horses going in were obviously unridable and so were put down for a reason. Most were lame. It felt like they were being put down, and then instead of incerating or having the body buried like usual, the body was being put to use. Its not that horrific, less so than the other livestock, its quite calm with the horses.). In the abattoir, i learnt LOADS about anatomy, something which i'm really interested in, because you rarely get to see what animals are made of. Plus, i thought all animal's insides looked the same, just like larger or smaller human organs, but they're all different shapes and textures.. really interesting. I would try a day and see how you get on.
Reply 49
Spindle
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm hopefully applying to vet med for entry in 2009 but I'm a mature student as I'm 23 atm.

I come from a rural area where thankfully I know the farmers very well. I've been offered as long as I want on a dairy farm, beef farm, sheep farm, vets practice and stud farm.

I have about 16 years of experience working with and owning horses. Up until recently I had three of my own. Will this count toward any sort of experience? Also, are there any areas that I should focus on? Farmers have mentioned going to an abattoir to me, but my local one takes horses so I don't think I could really. Do unis like to see abattoir work experience? I don't mind the blood and gore, it's just that one of my own horses recently went to that abattoir after he was put down so I really don't think I could hack it :s:

Hi there, I'm a degree student hopefully applying for 2009 entry too. Are you applying as a graduate too?
Hey guys did my day and was fine lol I had nothing to worry about. However, also didn't understand alot of what my solvakian vet said! He was really canny though.

I would try to get a day an at abbotoir. I regretted not cos I was asked if I'd been an my Liverpool interview and he was like "oh".
Shockley
Hi there, I'm a degree student hopefully applying for 2009 entry too. Are you applying as a graduate too?

Hi :smile: No, not a graduate. Just a late applicant. I currently work at management level in sales. I suppose I'll have to explain why I'm a late applicant!
Reply 52
Does anyone have part time jobs they have to take time off from for work experience? I'm working as a waitress and when I told my boss I was taking all my holidays (4 weeks) in one go to travel to placements I'd organised, he wasn't too happy. I also think its going to be a bit awkward asking for one weekend a month off to do milking, I'm not sure if I'll be allowed but this is really important to me. I'm thinking I should work Monday-Thursday evenings when I go back to uni so I have weekends free but I used to do that and it left me very tired and I missed out on sports and stuff.

I don't know what to do! I need one weekend off every month, do you reckon its an ok request to make? In an ideal world I'd have NO part time job.
Dont worry i have a part time job and as long as i give them a min of 4 weeks notice they change the rota! I work at Wilkinson's you have prob heard of it but i work evening shifts to fit around colleg i am meant to do 5-8 but do to work experience in the hols i have asked them to change my hours to 7-10 which will be nackering as it means i will be working 8.30am-10pm with only an hours break in between but it can be done just ask nicely and offer to help them out when they are short next time.. be warned you have to have something to bargain with... me i am now stuck with stocking up pets aisle which stinks but oh well i will prob smell from we anyway!!!
jessfleet-xxx-xxx
i am now stuck with stocking up pets aisle which stinks

really, i love the smell of the pet aisles in shops and petshops etc.:smile:
i want to get a saturday job in pets at home soon:biggrin:
I know its tough but if works getting in the way you should consider getting a different job which will be more flexible - maybe seasonal work in a supermarket where you chose your hours according to the holiday book - or give it up all together. I know its tough with little money, but if its getting in the way of the thing you want to do the most, you should consider giving it up.
Reply 56
Annaconda
really, i love the smell of the pet aisles in shops and petshops etc.:smile:
i want to get a saturday job in pets at home soon:biggrin:

Me too! Haha. Well maybe not a saturday job, probably a month or two of constant work!
Annaconda ; really, i love the smell of the pet aisles in shops and petshops etc.i want to get a saturday job in pets at home soon

I dont mind other shops with a pets aisle its just that i have to put out the roast shanks and most fall to pieces and the packaging is dodgy to sat the least and my hands stink and the worst is split cat food that has just been left... nothing worse smelling oh except for the inside of a cows stomach!!!:frown:
ok i get your point then.
its the dry rabbit food stuff that smells really nice, and bedding and stuff, but not the meaty stuff
Does anyone think that i could get away with not doing exp in a large animal prctice if i do some mixed instead? because the only large animal place i found will take atleast 2 hours to get to and only does horses, where as the mixed will only take just over 1

Latest

Trending

Trending