The Student Room Group

Just got rejected from Asda, Iceland's & McDonalds, upset.

My list of job rejections has further increased & I'm starting to get a bit frustrated :sigh: I really thought I'd be able to get at least one of them jobs. Felt I came across as friendy & polite & everything but just got a bit nervous during some interviews & a role play task at Asda where I kind of froze & jumbled up my words :redface: I seriously don't think I wouldn't be able to do the tasks that their roles involve but I guess it doesn't help with so many applicants. I guess I can't really do much & just keep going, annoying that they haven't given me any feedback either but hey ho, life goes on :cry2: :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yep it's very annoying isn't it. I can't even get interviews...
Original post by chocolate buttons
Yep it's very annoying isn't it. I can't even get interviews...
For some of the jobs I applied to I even failed the questionnaires lol :colondollar: & then I couldn't apply again for ages :doh: I also don't understand how employers can differentiate the ability of so many applicants to do a particular role in some of the selection processes that I've experienced.
Reply 3
Original post by Multitalented me
For some of the jobs I applied to I even failed the questionnaires lol :colondollar: & then I couldn't apply again for ages :doh: I also don't understand how employers can differentiate the ability of so many applicants to do a particular role in some of the selection processes that I've experienced.

Honestly they probably can't, though how you come across as a person at an interview is probably pretty crucial. I work at Iceland, we had SO MANY people applying for Christmas temp-jobs, I don't work full-time (well my hours are all over, sometimes 40hrs, sometimes 15hrs) and I must have handed out 20+ application forms myself, so overall we must have had 100+ easily. It's frustrating, but it's generally who you know or experience. One applying just got in right away I think as he'd worked for the company for a short time about 5 years ago, but I think he also had a recommendation from a current employee, as I say..contacts. However what made him chose the other two? I'd assume interview technique/personality/previous retail experience for a job like this,

I'm applying for graduate jobs now..well I say that, these days even a "graduate" job in the sciences field can end up being a lab tech on minimum wage as its such an employers market, I know people with masters and phD's applying for 20hr a week pushing a trolley around delivering equipment to labs type work, sad state of affairs. I'd like actual rejections or god forbid an actual interview at the moment.
Original post by joey11223
Honestly they probably can't, though how you come across as a person at an interview is probably pretty crucial. I work at Iceland, we had SO MANY people applying for Christmas temp-jobs, I don't work full-time (well my hours are all over, sometimes 40hrs, sometimes 15hrs) and I must have handed out 20+ application forms myself, so overall we must have had 100+ easily. It's frustrating, but it's generally who you know or experience. One applying just got in right away I think as he'd worked for the company for a short time about 5 years ago, but I think he also had a recommendation from a current employee, as I say..contacts. However what made him chose the other two? I'd assume interview technique/personality/previous retail experience for a job like this,

I'm applying for graduate jobs now..well I say that, these days even a "graduate" job in the sciences field can end up being a lab tech on minimum wage as its such an employers market, I know people with masters and phD's applying for 20hr a week pushing a trolley around delivering equipment to labs type work, sad state of affairs. I'd like actual rejections or god forbid an actual interview at the moment.
I just feel the selection process was quick, my adviser at the job centre said my CV was up to date. I felt that I didn't really get enough time to sell myself effectively when I had to see them though. I don't know how they can decide the best candidates just off that :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Just keep going! The amount of interviews I've failed since January is ridiculous but it all pays off. You get the experience and confidence from it all. Before you go to an interview, write down a few answers from 'typical' interview questions and go through that before the actual interview. Basically don't give up and keep applying!
Reply 6
I just feel the selection process was quick, my adviser at the job centre said my CV was up to date. I felt that I didn't really get enough time to sell myself effectively when I had to see them though. I don't know how they can decide the best candidates just off that :s-smilie:

Tbh neither do I, I mean even as a start most candidates who've had the initiative to come and ask for an application form are probably not those just filling stuff in to stay on benefits and those who are like that are very easy to spot anyhow. So most will probably be suitable for a basic Christmas shelf stacking job, obviously previous retail experience would likely be advantageous. But even then, I bet there were dozens if not more, do you randomly select 10 application forms and try them? There's not really time to interview so many for a post like this, Managers time is stretched thin as it is. Then how much does a talk for a few minutes (as I know the interviews aren't that in-depth) help the choice? Does the eccentric extrovert grab the job because they come across confidently? When the more introverted applicant may well end up being a more loyal and dependable worker?
Original post by joey11223
Tbh neither do I, I mean even as a start most candidates who've had the initiative to come and ask for an application form are probably not those just filling stuff in to stay on benefits and those who are like that are very easy to spot anyhow. So most will probably be suitable for a basic Christmas shelf stacking job, obviously previous retail experience would likely be advantageous. But even then, I bet there were dozens if not more, do you randomly select 10 application forms and try them? There's not really time to interview so many for a post like this, Managers time is stretched thin as it is. Then how much does a talk for a few minutes (as I know the interviews aren't that in-depth) help the choice? Does the eccentric extrovert grab the job because they come across confidently? When the more introverted applicant may well end up being a more loyal and dependable worker?
From my experiences so far at interviews I said the right things but I thought my speech maybe wasn't formal enough & might not have held eye contact for as long as I should, also for one team task at Iceland's I was quite stuck on what we were actually supposed to do & there were some strong characters their who talked a lot & I felt a bit intimidating & wasn't able to put as much input as I would of liked. Then there was the roleplay at Asda where I had to advertise this fabric conditioner, but I happened to be paired up with a girl & I'm quite awkward around them & ended up freezing & blagging some bits. If I could gain more confidence I reckon I'd have a much better chance of getting one then now :redface: You can be all nice & polite but that's not going to be sufficient to get you a job.
Reply 8
With big companies it's also a stupid and random selection process, don't sweat it, go for a job somewhere local, which hasn't got over 1000 people applying for it at once.

I'm sure you'll find something eventually.
Reply 9
From my experiences so far at interviews I said the right things but I thought my speech maybe wasn't formal enough & might not have held eye contact for as long as I should, also for one team task at Iceland's I was quite stuck on what we were actually supposed to do & there were some strong characters their who talked a lot & I felt a bit intimidating & wasn't able to put as much input as I would of liked. Then there was the roleplay at Asda where I had to advertise this fabric conditioner, but I happened to be paired up with a girl & I'm quite awkward around them & ended up freezing & blagging some bits. If I could gain more confidence I reckon I'd have a much better chance of getting one then now :redface: You can be all nice & polite but that's not going to be sufficient to get you a job.

Ah, I didn't even think we did any particular team tasks. Things must have changed, I'll ask the manager when I see him, but I'd thought he'd just done straight interviews with each one.
Original post by Flexa
With big companies it's also a stupid and random selection process, don't sweat it, go for a job somewhere local, which hasn't got over 1000 people applying for it at once.

I'm sure you'll find something eventually.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/01/currys-dance-off-graduate_n_4022689.html
It could be worse, they could be forced to dance.
Reply 11
Maybe you are making the wrong first impression? Takes 12 seconds for interviewers to know if they will give someone a job...
Reply 12
Interviews are something you get better at each time you do one, so don't worry about :smile: The job market is just a bit saturated at the minute and everyone can be picky about who they employ. The good thing is you've been given interviews which shows that your applications and CV are impressive, and you've gained experience so hopefully come next interview you'll be more relaxed and know what to say.
Must have submitted below stand applications.

Must try harder.
What do you mean role play?

Who the hell is going to partake in a roleplay just to get a job?

What ever happened to interviews?

No way I would ever do a role play, I am too nervous and shy.
Reply 15
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

''No way I would ever do a role play, I am too nervous and shy''
Hence, many people do not get jobs. And if you.or anyone else is moaning about the protocol of the interview, you don't deserve one. Roleplays assess people under pressure, as well as the practical skills for the job. I ask candidates to perform role-plays when I interview at work, can easily sift through the crap.
Original post by TheBigJosh
''No way I would ever do a role play, I am too nervous and shy''
Hence, many people do not get jobs. And if you.or anyone else is moaning about the protocol of the interview, you don't deserve one. Roleplays assess people under pressure, as well as the practical skills for the job. I ask candidates to perform role-plays when I interview at work, can easily sift through the crap.

So there is no such thing as a basic interview anymore?

I have not had an interview since 2006. Will be needing one middle of next year to cure my unemployment. I don't want a role play. Why would I want to work for a supermarket that asks me to sing my favourite song during the interview? LOL I cannot take people like that seriously.
Reply 17
So there is no such thing as a basic interview anymore?

I have not had an interview since 2006. Will be needing one middle of next year to cure my unemployment. I don't want a role play. Why would I want to work for a supermarket that asks me to sing my favourite song during the interview? LOL I cannot take people like that seriously.

Every company is different, so I cannot speak on behalf of all. I hope you are just being pedantic about the singing, I'm just saying that they exist, and the fact that people don't take them seriously is why people don't get jobs! It is the same for group interviews!

Why would I want to work for a supermarket that asks me to sing my favourite song during the interview?

To cure my unemployment.

You answered your own question.
Original post by Swanbow
Interviews are something you get better at each time you do one, so don't worry about :smile: The job market is just a bit saturated at the minute and everyone can be picky about who they employ. The good thing is you've been given interviews which shows that your applications and CV are impressive, and you've gained experience so hopefully come next interview you'll be more relaxed and know what to say.

I'd prefer if they just gave you a work trial instead to see if you can perform certain tasks efficiently. That should really be the main thing they judge you on, first impressions seem to count a lot though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending