The Student Room Group

Extremely motivated to get a good GCSE English grade

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Gcseenglish
So what would you say differentiates a C grade student to A grade student; excluding punctuation, spelling and grammar.

There are plenty of differences that you'd notice between students on different bases, but it would depend primarily on the assignment and their knowledge on such. You may find that one person achieves a far greater mark in creative writing, perhaps, than comparisons of characters within a play - this would be a result of a few reasons, namely their interest in the topic and their particular skill set.

If you know the things that you're already good at, then you can work less on them than the things that you're weaker at. For example, if you have a way with words and have a strong ability to paint a picture with them, then you'll probably be better at creative writing. If you're poor at making comparisons between two characters in a play, then make sure you read up on the characters and really learn about them. With knowledge comes interest, and interest in a topic is often key to doing well in it.

So, although it's difficult to give a straight answer to your question - grammar, punctuation, spelling and most of all knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the particular topic would separate a student from a poor grade to a high one.
Original post by Gcseenglish
Well I am doing English language but it also consists of literature reading .The literature reading involves 'of mice and men' and Romeo and Juliet Basically I need help in creative writing and literature reading . What gets me high marks in creative writing and literature reading.

I did my Romeo and Juliet controlled assessment last year and got an A*. I think the most important thing is to really know your techniques and their meanings. Also careful and clear phrasing is really useful, it helps the examiner know that you understand what you're talking about. The historical context is also usually fairly important so make sure you can relate what's happening to that time period.
I haven't read of Mice and Men so I'm not really sure if I can help you with that.
I hope this helps, sorry it's so late.
Original post by Daniella4
I did my Romeo and Juliet controlled assessment last year and got an A*. I think the most important thing is to really know your techniques and their meanings. Also careful and clear phrasing is really useful, it helps the examiner know that you understand what you're talking about. The historical context is also usually fairly important so make sure you can relate what's happening to that time period.
I haven't read of Mice and Men so I'm not really sure if I can help you with that.
I hope this helps, sorry it's so late.

Im doing Romeo and Juilet as well, I think I will struggle with that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending