The Student Room Group

Ask a University Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemon 24
Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB

What other offers (if any) do you have on the table?
And which course is this for?
Original post by 04MR17
What other offers (if any) do you have on the table?
And which course is this for?

I've got an offer from middlesex and MMU so far and they're all BBB for cardiac physiology
I've got an offer from middlesex and MMU so far and they're all BBB for cardiac physiology

Are you waiting for any universities still?
Please tell me you are and that their entry requirements are not BBB? :redface:
Original post by 04MR17
Are you waiting for any universities still?
Please tell me you are and that their entry requirements are not BBB? :redface:

im waiting for swansea and yh BBB
So, you've applied to 4 university courses with the exact same entry requirements?
Original post by 04MR17
So, you've applied to 4 university courses with the exact same entry requirements?

Yeah southampton was abb but I got a contextual offer to bbb
Reply 66
Hello,
I have an offer from King's College London and University of Manchester for my Masters in Organisational Psychology.
KCL's Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience will be providing the course which means the focus is more on general mental health, whereas in UoM...the course is under Alliance Manchester Business School...which means there are more organisational/business concepts that would help me pursue a career in HR.

seems like employability rates are higher for UoM than KCL but again...would being in London help in any way?

Apart from that I wanted to know which city is better for networking and job opportunities? London or Manchester?
London is more expensive which is a factor i want to consider but I am also conflicted about whether the reputation of the uni matters or not?
As an International Student, I want to be at a university/city that wouldn't drain me out.

Kcl is ranked higher than UoM in Psychology but UoM's business school is much better the King's Business School.

Which uni would equip me better for getting a job later on? Would the brand name/reputation of KCL matter? Do recruiters consider that?

Is KCL the obvious choice or should I go ahead with UoM?
Original post by barror1

Hey everyone! :hi:
I hope that we find you safe and well :hugs:
Welcome to Ask a University Student 2.0!
In these uncertain times, we want to do our best for anyone applying to university who may have had their open days cancelled due to the current pandemic (or may just want to ask a current student a question!). As a result, we have reached out to a bunch of legendary people who have offered to help answer any questions you may have as applicants :heart:
So, without further ado, here we go!:

Subjects
Accounting and Finance-Dentistry-Chemistry-Early Childhood Studies-Egyptology-English-Graphic Design-History-Modern Foreign Languages-Law-Linguistics-Maths-Medicine (international study)-Music and Sound Recording-Neuroscience-Nursing-Operating Department Practice (ODP)-Physics-Politics-Psychology-Sociology and Criminology-Veterinary Medicine

Universities
Angila Ruskin-UoArts London (UAL)-Aston-Bath-Birmingham-Bournemouth-Bristol-Cardiff-Chester-Cranfield-Edge Hill-Edinburgh-Glasgow-Imperial College, London-Keele-Kent-Lancaster-Leeds-Lincoln-Liverpool-Liverpool John Moores-Middlesex-Newcastle-Queens University Belfast (QUB)-The Open University-Royal Holloway-Sheffield-Southampton-Southampton Solent-Staffordshire-Strathclyde-Suffolk-Surrey-Swansea-UCLan-Warwick-West of Scotland (UWS)-York

If you have any questions please feel free to tag in either me or @04MR17, and please post in this thread if you want to contribute :love:

Original post by barror1

In these uncertain times, we want to do our best for anyone applying to university who may have had their open days cancelled due to the current pandemic (or may just want to ask a current student a question!). As a result, we have reached out to a bunch of legendary people who have offered to help answer any questions you may have as applicants :heart:

Subjects
Accounting and Finance-Dentistry-Chemistry-Early Childhood Studies-Egyptology-English-Graphic Design-History-Modern Foreign Languages-Law-Linguistics-Maths-Medicine (international study)-Music and Sound Recording-Neuroscience-Nursing-Operating Department Practice (ODP)-Physics-Politics-Psychology-Sociology and Criminology-Veterinary Medicine

Universities
Angila Ruskin-UoArts London (UAL)-Aston-Bath-Birmingham-Bournemouth-Bristol-Cardiff-Chester-Cranfield-Edge Hill-Edinburgh-Glasgow-Imperial College, London-Keele-Kent-Lancaster-Leeds-Lincoln-Liverpool-Liverpool John Moores-Middlesex-Newcastle-Queens University Belfast (QUB)-The Open University-Royal Holloway-Sheffield-Southampton-Southampton Solent-Staffordshire-Strathclyde-Suffolk-Surrey-Swansea-UCLan-Warwick-West of Scotland (UWS)-York

If you have any questions please feel free to tag in either me or @04MR17, and please post in this thread if you want to contribute :love:

Hi everyone! I'm one of the current students at UCLAN! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about studying at UCLan or university in general!

Rebecca

Hi!

Just a few points from a Student's Perspective about why I think you should pick Swansea:

Beautiful surroundings - surrounded by beautiful beaches such as the Gower Peninsula and Mumbles.

Swansea Employability Academy (SEA).

The Cardiac Physiology course is accredited by 'The National School of Healthcare and Science' and 'The Registration Council for Clincal Physiology.'

If you commit to working in Wales for 2 years after graduating, you get your tuition fees covered in full through the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme alongside still getting Maintenance Loans and a reduced-rate loan from Student Finance.

Award winning Health and Wellbeing Academy with a real-life patient setting.

Many clinical placement opportunities in the local health board.

Excellent graduate and career prospects.

Really friendly student community at Swansea, between both students and staff.

Personal Academic Mentor who stays with you throughout the whole of your degree and checks in at least once a term on your wellbeing and academic progress.

Look at our hyperlinked website above to hear from Hayley Collis, a Cardiac Physiology graduate, about her experiences.

Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador - Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine.
Original post by _Mia101
How did you know what university course to apply for?

you can use cool website such as this to find specific courses at uk universities: https://ukuniversities.com/
Hello to all, I have been asking around and I do hope someone could help me here. I am currently an IB DP2 student that is super stressed about my predicted grades. Currently I am predicted a 39-40/45, basically just scraping past the minimum IB requirement for my desired subject (biomedical sciences at Oxford). I understand that applications to Oxford are really competitive, and I was wondering whether this predicted grade would affect my chances at getting admitted. I am juggling my chances of getting an interview if I get top marks in BMAT. Could anyone please advice me on how much Oxford looks at predicted grades? And how much this compares with other factors (e.g. your PS or your BMAT scores). Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by barror1
I kind of fell into studying English Literature because I enjoyed it in school- it seemed really natural to choose it for my degree course!
As for the other half of my degree (I study literature/linguistics), I did English Language at A-level and genuinely enjoyed it so much! When I found out that my university offered a combined degree in both I leapt on it. I originally only applied for a literature degree but honestly linguistics is my favourite thing now :love:

My York/ degree thread will be up soon so you can ask more questions! :hugs:

I’m about to chose my Alevels and I wanted to do English language what grades did you need for gcse
Original post by SuMmEr.MoRgAn
I’m about to chose my Alevels and I wanted to do English language what grades did you need for gcse

Pass in English and Maths. Apart from that you're good in terms of universities.
If you want to take an A Level in a subject, most sixth forms / colleges will ask for a certain grade at GCSE level for that subject.
E.g. to take A Level History I needed at least a B in History GCSE.
Is anyone here a Graduate Entry Medicine student at the University of Warwick? I'd love to know more about your clinical placements and patient contact in Years 1 & 2. I'd also love to know more about your surgical placements.
Original post by SuMmEr.MoRgAn

Hi!

The grade requirements for an English Language A-Level vary depending on the college you’ve applied to, but typically, I would aim for at least a pass (a C or a 5). B’s (6’s) would be the best way to ensure you’d get the course you’re aiming for, but as long as you try your best, I’m sure you’ll be okay! In the case you don’t get the grades you need, you can look into retaking your exam or if your college doesn’t accept your application, you can appeal their decision.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by barror1

Subjects

Universities

Hi everyone, my name is Viki and I'm a 3rd year Psychology and Sociology Student at the University of Suffolk.
I would love to join the thread with any insights I can provide about university experiences, study tips, life/work/study balance, being an immigrant and mature student, and anything, really - I just might not have the answer to everything, haha 😀
So, please feel free to ask me anything! ^^
Original post by barror1

Subjects

Universities

Hi everyone,

I hope this message finds you well! I thought that I would join😊

I graduated last year in Journalism from the University of Chester. Although I began my university journey in Criminology and Sociology, subjects I studied at A-level so if you have any questions related to those subjects such as personal statements etc, I can try to help you.

Now, I'm learning all about Digital Marketing as a current master’s student at the University of Chester. Therefore, If there's any way I can help or offer insights, feel free to reach out. I'm here to assist where possible!

Best wishes,
Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Hello,

My name is Haya and I am a final year medical student!

I am also an international student, so feel free to ask me any questions about placement, studying medicine, and life in the UK! 😀

Looking forward to hear from you,
Haya
Hi!

I’m a recent MPhys Physics graduate from Lancaster University! I’ve also started my particle physics PhD here as well! Feel free to ask any questions about physics degrees, Lancaster Uni, or just university life in general! :smile:

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending