The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Ask a current Solent University students your questions

Hello!

This thread is for anyone asking questions about studying at the University, giving insight into what the accommodation is like, the nightlife, societies and facilities at Solent University.

We're just coming to the end of our second year and we'd love to help you with any any questions you've got :h:

Thank you,

Eloise & Izzy :heart:

Please also find the official Solent Unibuddy Ambassadors here, who may be able to help you with more course specific questions.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I will be applying for Solent and I have heard multiple mixed reviews on the Univeristy. I will be applying for the International Tourism Management course as I wish to work in the Cruise Industry. What will Solent offer me in the terms of that? I also have never been to Southampton so as an area what is it like? Thank you for your help.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Original post by T.m.c
Hi, I will be applying for Solent and I have heard multiple mixed reviews on the Univeristy. I will be applying for the International Tourism Management course as I wish to work in the Cruise Industry. What will Solent offer me in the terms of that? I also have never been to Southampton so as an area what is it like? Thank you for your help.

Hello! You can email the course leader, Lisa Power with any questions about the course and she'll be happy to answer. Her email is [email protected].

Southampton is pretty amazing as an area, there's loads of bars, restaurants and a huge shopping centre. And if you're interested in the cruise industry, the Carnival HQ is round the corner from Solent. It's just over an hour away from London on the train too! There's some more information here: https://www.solent.ac.uk/studying-at-solent/living-in-southampton
Reply 3
Hey! im moving from London to Southampton to study at Solent uni in 2019 & just wondering if solent is ethnically diverse or what societies they offer as Southampton seem smaller compared to London
Hi Yaxmin,

Solent University is very culturally diverse as we get many international students as well as students from all over the UK.

Yes, as a city Southampton is quite a lot smaller than London however it still has a lot to offer! If you want more information about studying in Southampton visit https://www.solent.ac.uk/studying-at-solent/living-in-southampton

We also offer a wide range of societies, you can find out which ones you would be interested in by looking at our student union website https://www.solentsu.co.uk/get-involved/societies/

I hope this helped,

Rachel :smile:
Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador
Hey!

This thread is for anyone asking questions about studying at the University, giving insight into what the accommodation is like, what I thought, what I liked, the nightlife, societies and facilities at Southampton Solent University.

So... a little bit about me! I myself am just due to graduate with a 2:1 in BA (Hons) Advertising in November 2015 and I am currently employed by the University to work in the digital department, working on the website and with the marketing team.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer :biggrin:!

Kath :h:.

Hi Kath,

I will be doing a Foundation Year from 2020. Does this guarantee me halls? After my Foundation Year am I considered a second year so I will no longer be accepted for halls? Is there accommodation where you can stay throughout University or do you need to move out?
Hi Charlocat,

That's great to hear that you will be joining us at Solent for a Foundation Course! I have been living at Solent Halls for the past year myself and have really enjoyed it!
You are able to apply to University Accommodation if you are doing a Foundation course- as it states on our website (https://www.solent.ac.uk/studying-at-solent/accommodation/how-to-apply/accommodation-applications), you are guaranteed a standard room in student residences so long as a study offer has been accepted by the 30th June 2019 (Solent will have to be your confirmed firm choice of study on UCAS). You can apply for and check out the different specifications of our student residences via the website, using the link above. If you have any other questions regarding the application process or accommodation at Solent in general, please email [email protected].
In terms of second and third year accommodation, I believe there are rooms available at the Lucia Foster Welch and Deanery Residences for returning students.

I hope this information has been helpful, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask :smile:.

Eloise
Original post by charlocat
Hi Kath,

I will be doing a Foundation Year from 2020. Does this guarantee me halls? After my Foundation Year am I considered a second year so I will no longer be accepted for halls? Is there accommodation where you can stay throughout University or do you need to move out?
Thank you - do I have to get the application in by 30 June 2019 even if I aim to start in September 2020?
Original post by Solent University
Hi Charlocat,

That's great to hear that you will be joining us at Solent for a Foundation Course! I have been living at Solent Halls for the past year myself and have really enjoyed it!
You are able to apply to University Accommodation if you are doing a Foundation course- as it states on our website (https://www.solent.ac.uk/studying-at-solent/accommodation/how-to-apply/accommodation-applications), you are guaranteed a standard room in student residences so long as a study offer has been accepted by the 30th June 2019 (Solent will have to be your confirmed firm choice of study on UCAS). You can apply for and check out the different specifications of our student residences via the website, using the link above. If you have any other questions regarding the application process or accommodation at Solent in general, please email [email protected].
In terms of second and third year accommodation, I believe there are rooms available at the Lucia Foster Welch and Deanery Residences for returning students.

I hope this information has been helpful, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask :smile:.

Eloise
Hi do Solent usually take part in clearing? Was their biomedical sciences course in clearing last year?
Hi Charlocat,

Usually you would get an email with details on how to apply to accommodation in the March before you start studies (in your case it would be March 2020). If you have any more queries though, I can put you in touch with the accommodation office, their email is [email protected].

I hope this helps,
Eloise
Original post by charlocat
Thank you - do I have to get the application in by 30 June 2019 even if I aim to start in September 2020?
Hi Sachinihimara,

Apologies for the delayed response, just to let you know I have been trying to find out an answer for you and with the admissions team. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Eloise :smile:
Original post by sachinihimara
Hi do Solent usually take part in clearing? Was their biomedical sciences course in clearing last year?
Hi Sachinihimara,
Just to let you know I have received a response from the admissions team. They have confirmed that BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science was open during clearing last year. If you would like to find out more information about clearing, please visit our website https://www.solent.ac.uk/clearing.
If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know :smile:
Eloise
Original post by Solent University
Hi Sachinihimara,

Apologies for the delayed response, just to let you know I have been trying to find out an answer for you and with the admissions team. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Original post by sachinihimara
Hey Solent uni,

How is the pr course there and also side note what’s the night life like?
Original post by yazrosex
Hey Solent uni,

How is the pr course there and also side note what’s the night life like?

Hi @yazrosex,

You’re in luck as Eloise and I are both second years on the Public Relations degree at Solent right now.

The course consists of lots of coursework and there are some group elements too. We’ve worked on many live client briefs, to give us a good understanding of the industry as it stands today. Ultimately, Eloise and I are both loving it and Solent is helping us to thrive.

Do you have any specific questions you’d like answered? You are welcome to DM us or reply here if you’ve got any worries or concerns as we are more than willing to help!

If you haven’t already, make sure you come along to an open day at Solent to meet the team and explore the campus for yourself.

In regards to the night life, Southampton is host to several clubs and bars. There is something out there for everyone. During freshers week, many of the hotspots will hold events to help you mingle with your new flatmates and get you to truly explore the city.

I hope this has been helpful, Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Izzy :h:
Hey thank you so much!

Basically, whilst I prefer this uni altogether I’m more intrigued by the university’s that offer a 4 year course in which one of them includes a placement. I feel that would be beneficial for me considering I believe a chance to experience what it’s like will help me figure out what industries suit me. Could you tell me more about the experience you are still able to receive despite the lack of Placement year thanks so much.
( also from your point of view what do you believe is the best accommodation )

Yaz
Hey thank you so much!

Basically, whilst I prefer this uni altogether I’m more intrigued by the university’s that offer a 4 year course in which one of them includes a placement. I feel that would be beneficial for me considering I believe a chance to experience what it’s like will help me figure out what industries suit me. Could you tell me more about the experience you are still able to receive despite the lack of Placement year thanks so much.
( also from your point of view what do you believe is the best accommodation )

Yaz

Hi @yazrosex,

I’m waiting for confirmation for you on this, but I believe Solent is planning on adding an optional placement year into the Public Relations course that will commence in your third year of study. I will get back to you as soon as I’ve had this confirmed as we were told this in a meeting in December and I want to make sure before I misinform you.

Otherwise we are constantly working on live client briefs. Last year we worked with NATS and The New Forest Outdoor Centre, and in previous years students have worked with Sky and Rolls Royce. We have already worked with other clients this year, including a local PR firm called FivebyFive. Alongside these, some units give you the opportunity to select your own clients and contact them yourself, I would say I have worked with 4-5 already in my time at Solent.

You are also required to do a 2-4 week placement after your second year to report on in your third, which encourages even more experience.

There is plenty of live client work to do and the lack of placement year was something that actually drew me to Solent, but if you are set on doing one, I will make sure I chase a reply for you let you know as soon as I can.

I hope this help

Izzy :smile:

P.S. I have asked Eloise to reply to you regarding accommodation as I commute to Solent, but she has lived in Southampton for the last year and a half while she studies at University. I felt she would be better to respond to that side of your query!
Hey,
Thank you so so much. Thank you for going out of your way to confirm that for me :smile:

Okay that sounds awesome, the experience seems great thank you!!

Thank you for asking Eloise.

This has really helped thank you ☺️! :smile:
Why did you choose Solent uni? :smile:
Original post by katrinayates
Why did you choose Solent uni? :smile:

Hi @katrinayates [br] [br] There were a couple of reasons I chose to study at Solent. The biggest selling point for me was when I attended a talk on an Open Day. I felt truly inspired by the Public Relations degree and I just loved the overall feel of the University.

I was interested in one other University in my area, but when I attended a talk there, I was struggling to focus and I knew I couldn’t study like that.

Another key driver in my decision was the fact I didn’t need to do a placement year, as I wanted to get my qualification as quickly as I could, but still gather experience along the way.

Solent is also only a 40 minute- 1 hour drive from where I live. As I chose to commute, this made it a strong contender for me. Once I had sorted parking and planned my route, I realised it wasn’t that far at all, and wouldn’t take me much longer than travelling to the other University I looked at (which is closer to me).

We all have our different reasons, I’m sure Eloise has different reasoning too. Ultimately, you will know if you’ve chosen the right University for you. Take some time on your decision and be sure to travel to the places you are looking to study to see if the culture is right for you.

Good luck with your decision!

Izzy :flower2:
Hey,
Thank you so so much. Thank you for going out of your way to confirm that for me :smile:

Okay that sounds awesome, the experience seems great thank you!!

Thank you for asking Eloise.

This has really helped thank you ☺️! :smile:

Hi @yazrosex,

Apologies for the delay in my response. I would completely agree with what Izzy has already told you about the Public Relations degree- there are many opportunities to work with live clients and work with your peers for pitches, presentations and reports which really helps you to prepare for placement work.
In terms of accommodation, the student residences are all close together and within a 10 minute walk of both the city centre and the University. There is information about all of them here, however, I found it most useful to visit each one as I changed my mind once I had had a look around! If an en-suite is important to you, you should have a look at David Moxon, Hamwic, Deanery and Kimber, as Chantry, Emily Davis and Lucia Foster offer non en-suite rooms. Emily Davis is slightly further away (nearer to the train station and city centre) as is Lucia Foster (nearer to Ocean Village). There are other options as well, including private halls and private rented properties which you can also find out more about here.

I hope this has helped you, if you have any other questions or need any help with accommodation, please let me know!

Best of luck,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending