Engineering degree personal statement example (1h)

“Scientists discover the world that exists; engineers create the world that never was.” Theodore Von Karman. For me, this portrays why I want to be an engineer; I wish to create and diversify what is to drive technologies forward leading to new concepts and ideas. I have always been interested in how things work and Maths helps me appreciate how to accomplish such as it is often the main tool used to discover or advance in the real world.

The enjoyment I find within maths has enabled me to take further maths this year to AS level in which I enjoy the mechanics modules since the maths involved is the backbone of society. The reason behind this love for maths is due to the challenge of solving problems and the application of familiar concepts to strange or unfamiliar situations. Through this enjoyment it is obvious that engineering is the subject for me to study at the highest level possible since the best engineers must be good problem solvers and innovators, as demonstrated in the reads of "Why buildings stand up" and "The science of Formula1 design". In studying Design&Technology I have learnt to be a creative thinker and a problem solver. This year I plan to build an electric guitar, from the body down to the electronics incorporating an innovative pre-amp system.

To further my learning independently, I am currently studying an Open University physics short course entitled "How the universe works". The course is opening my eyes to strange concepts such as how space expands and how this effects our perception of the universe around us.

I believe the modern engineer must apply innovation coupled with technology in products and services whilst also meeting supply/demand needs of the customer in the most efficient and cost effective manner. Studying economics to AS-level has triggered my thinking in these areas and the science subjects have made me appreciate the principles behind production techniques, which I have backed up further by visiting an engine production line. I had one weeks work experience within the civil engineering department of East Riding council where I learnt about the range of responsibilities that may be placed upon an engineer. I also worked with an environmental engineer team as I think the environment is an increasingly important factor to an engineer’s designs and decisions. Whilst there we talked about how a proposed fish pass at a weir would materialise from design to construction.

Along with attaining high academic standards, I have always been keen to help people where I can, for example over the past I have visited a primary school every Thursday afternoon in order to help 6-7Year olds with their class work and reading. The patience and interpersonal skills obtained from this are invaluable in any situation which permits them to be used. Along with this I was recently chairman of the charity committee and therefore the main coordinator in raising £4500. The teamwork skills I developed here were of great aid to everyone involved and without this, along with the organisational and leadership skills involved, many events would not have materialised. On top of everything within school I have always been a keen guitar player, playing at a grade 8 standard in many styles and also playing at several charity events as part of a band. Music has long been a passion of mine, along with computing which has lead me to be owner and creator of various websites as well as a keen windows programmer in Visual Basics and a beginner in C++. With these I.T. skills I recently worked on the I.T. and marketing team for a laboratory equipment selling company.

Engineering covers so many aspects of our everyday lives yet it is so unobtrusive within its role that most people take the discipline for granted. I believe it is the necessity behind the engineer that will make me a good one; my determination to succeed along with the wonders of what more is possible will ultimately drive this passion and make me an asset in any team.

• University of Cambridge (Mechanical Engineering)
  • University of Bath (Mechanical Engineering)
  • Durham University(Mechanical Engineering)
  • Loughborough University (Mechanical Engineering)
  • University of Warwick (Mechanical Engineering)