English degree personal statement example (1x)

"The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilised, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane." In 'The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within', Stephen Fry pinpoints my fascination with both the English language and the city of London. Many of the city's best attributes are mirrored in the study of English; complete diversity, boundless vitality, and the ability to lose oneself at the flick of a page or the turn of a corner.

During my studies, my taste in literature has revolutionised; from the dystopian work of Atwood to the classics of Austen, my reading curiosity has developed. Studying English Language has equipped me with the skills to fully understand a diverse collection of literature; I find that the subjects are complementary, and making links between them comes naturally. Economics has provided a different, no less valuable experience. From an early age I have read a daily newspaper, and enjoy reviewing current affairs. Economics provides a step up from this interest; I enjoy applying the complex theories I have learnt to recent events, and I have become confident with handling data, a skill that is important in the study of linguistics.

My work experience at Seven Stories, national centre of children's literature, provided an opportunity to work with children, fuelling an ambition of a career in teaching. I enjoyed seeing how children were inspired by famous authors and how this encouraged creativity. Last year, I spent a week at Durham University shadowing an undergraduate student. I attended lectures, completed an undergraduate assignment and met with PhD researchers, seeing what a degree can lead on to in terms of employment. This gave me an insight into the mindset needed to thrive within a university environment, and confirmed my ability and desire to study at a higher level.

Aside from study, I am involved in extra curricular activities, including Wider Read Challenge, Enterprise Club, and Kenya Club, where I help raise funds for our partner school. It is humbling to receive letters from the students we help, seeing that our hard work is rewarded by their success. I also successfully manage a blog on the internet; subjects I write about vary from book reviews to fashion to current affairs. This has allowed me to see the power that the internet holds, and how it can lead to new experiences. For me these have included being asked to write on behalf of a clothing brand, and featuring on my school's Economics blog, after winning a competition as part of my studies. Music has always been an interest of mine. I am a keen pianist, gaining distinctions in all my graded examinations so far and have been awarded by London College of Music for twice gaining the highest marks in the Tyne and Wear region, demonstrating commitment and determination.

I take part in intergenerational events for my local council, organising events with different groups in the local community. A personal favourite was an event based on the Blitz, combining the creation and performance of poetry and a reading of Robert Westall's 'The Machine Gunners', sparking an interest in local literature. I have also taken part in a reminiscence theatre project at Living History North East about the 1960s, which gave me the chance to meet people from diverse backgrounds, improving my communication skills. Currently, I work part time in a hospital as a Domestic Assistant and in Jack Wills as a Sales Assistant. Working in such fast paced environments has improved my teamwork, decision making, and confidence. Through these jobs, I've gained a degree of financial independence, which I believe to be one of my biggest triumphs.

I am ambitious and motivated to take on the challenge of all a university, and London itself, has to offer; be they barbaric, or civilised, common, or royal, I look forward to the variety of experiences that I am yet to discover.

• Royal Holloway (English) - Offer (ABB) - Firm Choice
  • University of Westminster (English Literature) - Offer (BBC) - Insurance Choice
  • Queen Mary (English) - Interview/Offer (AAB)
  • Brunel University (English) - Offer (AAB)
  • Kingston University (English Literature) - Offer (300 points)

• English Literature (A2) - B
  • English Language (A2) - B
  • Economics (A2) - D
  • General Studies (A2) - C

On results day, I was offered another course by Royal Holloway, 'Comparative Literature and Culture', despite my low grades, but chose to go to my insurance choice instead, who also had agreed to accept me despite missing both offers.