Personal Statement:Medicine 29

Medicine Personal Statement

I have always been interested in all aspects of the human body. I am therefore very excited by the prospect of studying Medicine and using the knowledge I would acquire to help people. In 2006 I attended a 'Med-Six' conference at Nottingham University and found the few days I was there utterly engaging. The lecture on Emergency Medicine emphasised the importance of an efficient team with a decisive leader, which I found particularly stimulating. We took part in a simulated accident and emergency team exercise and each played specific roles, for example nurse, radiographer and consultant. We had to assess individual patients and make rapid decisions about how the team should deal with them. It showed me how much Medicine relies on teamwork and communication.

I was very fortunate to be able to organise a week shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon. I accompanied him on his ward rounds in the morning and was then able to watch him performing hip arthroscopies. I was also present during consultations with new patients on clinic days. I observed how he empathised with the patients when he briefed them before their operations and during patient consultations when he informed the patients of the possible outcomes of the surgery. I saw that in the operating theatre every member of the team was integral to the success of the operation and that the team needed a strong leader. I also gained an understanding of the immense concentration and skill involved in this type of surgery. At present I am working as an Administration Assistant at a hospital; through dealing with patient records I have gained an appreciation of the importance of patient confidentiality. I will soon be applying for a post as a Nursing Assistant at a London hospital to gain more patient contact.

I love learning. I enjoyed reading around both Biology and Chemistry at A level, as I am innately inquisitive. I found the C.U.P book 'A Guidebook to Biochemistry' especially interesting as I find the chemical processes in Biology fascinating. For example, the cycles involved in respiration and photosynthesis blend my knowledge from Chemistry with biological facts that I have previously had to accept without explanation. I enjoy and am accustomed to independent study as I started my A level in Spanish with no previous experience in the subject. Furthermore I enrolled in an Open University science short course called 'Human Genetics and Health Issues' which gave me considerable experience of distance learning. The course expanded on my A level Biology syllabus, building on my knowledge of the information stored in DNA. The course also introduced entirely new areas to me, such as The Human Genome Project, somatic mutations and genetic medicine. Success on the course gave me a great sense of satisfaction.

I have always greatly enjoyed outdoor activities and have been progressively developing my rock climbing skills since I was 13. With three of my friends, I have travelled round England, Wales and France to find the best climbing. The basis of rock climbing is full trust in your team members. It also takes personal courage, perseverance, level-headedness and judgement. My outdoor activities have helped me develop as both a good team member and team leader. I am currently in the process of qualifying as a rock climbing instructor, which will enable me to lead small groups of children or adults rock climbing. This summer two friends and I completed a 700km pilgrimage across Northern Spain which required great stamina. I have gained a lot from travelling and studying foreign languages. I have used my languages extensively in real-life situations, and would hope to build on this experience if I travel abroad during my electives.

The study of Medicine offers a great deal and I believe I have the enthusiasm, perseverance and commitment necessary to make a good doctor.

• UCL - Offer

horrible opening line