The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
motiv3
Okay first of all tell me what you understand from the question and what have you currently done.

I get that you have to work out the moments of the force(even though I swear that doesn't come up in GCSE physics). However I'm not sure how to work out the distance as I only have one value of the triangle (16cm).

@jjkl: Regarding the 4X, did you equate that too 1200N because the pivot is at equilibrium (ie. the moments of the anticlockwise is equivalent to the clockwise)?

And what's the relevance of the "2cm" height (ie. vertical length) of the piston?

Basically, I'm going to need a bit more of an explanation.

So to recap.

I understand the moments part, but after that it's all a blur.
Reply 881
Dutchess of Doncaster
Specimen and my mistake it's out of 35.

the specimen does not have a conversion, however if you got that high in the specimen i would assume that it would be around 8.

but if you use the 2007 conversion table that a 7.5
Reply 882
jjkkll
Question:

My Response:
The Statement suggests that illnesses and disabilities have been defined by society. It gives the impression that Society has constructed the boundaries around what is considered as an illness and disability. This can be deemed a preposterous by someone who is unable to walk, as they do not see their inability to walk as socially defined. However, what social activities and careers which can be undertaken by that individual are social defined, therefore, it can be seen that their disability is also defined by society.

Illnesses and Disabilities cannot be social defined and constructed as they are medically defined and constructed. Whether or not someone has an illness or disability is not a social decision to be made. If someone has an inhibition which is considered to be abnormal they are said to be disabled. For example a person who as lost the ability to walk due to an accident damaging his spine is considered to be disabled as he is unable to function as expected from a correctly formed human being. Someone who as physical, psychological, or social ill-being is considered to have a medically defined illness.

The definition of good health is “physical, psychological, and social well being” therefore illness and disability are both socially and medically defined and constructed, therefore, the diagnosis of an illness or disability must include both factors.

Comments/improvements please

What would you rate this? (out of 12)

I did it between 18:58 and 19:13 (i.e 15 minutes, including reading and thinking)

Anyone want to give me feedback on this Lump of ****? ^
Reply 883
jjkkll
Anyone want to give me feedback on this Lump of ****? ^

I give you some soon (maybe tonight). I'll probably attempt it later on.

At any rate, I still need some explanation regarding question 9. (lol, please bear with me guys, girls.)
Reply 884
Baki
I give you some soon (maybe tonight). I'll probably attempt it later on.

At any rate, I still need some explanation regarding question 9. (lol, please bear with me guys, girls.)

i gave you the working and the answer!

what you still stuck on?
Reply 885
Here's another essay response to

Contraceptive Techniques destroy the potential of Life.
Catholic Church (1968-)
Write a unified essay in which you address the following:
What do you understand by this statement? Advance an Argument against this statement.
What do you think determines whether or not contraceptives should be used?

Contraception prevents the fusion of zygotes and so prevents fertilisation. This prevention of fertilisation is seen as a sin as the possibility of life is removed. The Catholic Church is therefore against the use of contraceptive techniques as this is seen as interference in God’s plans which may result in the birth of a baby.

Fertilisation is considered to be the beginning of life in the context of the Catholic Church; however life truly begins once the embryo has developed a heartbeat. At the point of fertilisation there is no heartbeat so the potential of life has not been destroyed. Life should be considered a gift. Many couples are not ready to have children and so should be encouraged to use contraception to prevent a child being brought up in an unstable environment. In today’s modern society promiscuity and sexual intercourse have become lifestyle habits and have lost the intimacy they once held. The Catholic Church sees the role of human beings to be to reproduce life to carry on the traditions. However, what is the use of giving life to a child you will not be able to look after? In these cases the use of contraception is essential to uphold the responsibility of giving life.

Poor families may not be able to fund for a child and so producing a child would become a strain on them both emotionally and financially. Children have the right to be raised in a warm, caring and stable environment so the use of contraception would be seen as a sensible and forward outlook. In an era where sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, AIDS and Chlamydia are becoming increasingly common, contraception should definitely be encouraged. Without the use of contraception life may in fact be destroyed be the transmission of such diseases.

Of course religious beliefs determine whether people use contraceptives or not, but other factors such as emotional stability, financial stability and consent from both partners should be taken into account. Contraceptives should be used when the couple know that they will be unable to support a life as neglect is the ultimate destroyer of life.

thanks for your feedback before. I hope this is better
Reply 886
Can anyone recommend me a physics revision book?
BMAT PHYSICS FORMULAE:

Most are in the attachment, but others you might be expected to know are:

Force = mass x acceleration
transformers: Vp/Vs = Np/Ns
half life: halflife = 0.69/wavelength
speed of light = 300 million m/s
speed of sound = 340 m/s
Reply 888
Isometrix
BMAT PHYSICS FORMULAE:

speed of sound = 340 m/s

You legend. I'd rep you but can't yet. Is this all the physics we would be expected to know?
Kelly^2
You legend. I'd rep you but can't yet. Is this all the physics we would be expected to know?

those are just the formulas. you still need to know the theory :p:
Reply 890
Pah, there's hardly any theory in GCSE level physics that isn't in M1 is there? I hope not anyway :/
I hate physics :cry:
Toiletpaper8
I hate physics :cry:

Me too :five:

I've given up with BMAT. I figure that section 1 is just aptitude completely so what's the point with 'revising' for that. Then section 2 I will try and do something for but in the exam I'll probably end up answering all the Bio/Chem/Maths ones and guessing any physics ones :p:. I'm only going to actually do anything for section 3 because it's quite interesting and it will help me with any potential interviews.

I feel like I'm putting all my eggs in the Cambridge basket by spending all my time on the BMAT.
x.beth.x

I've given up with BMAT. I figure that section 1 is just aptitude completely so what's the point with 'revising' for that. Then section 2 I will try and do something for but in the exam I'll probably end up answering all the Bio/Chem/Maths ones and guessing any physics ones :p:. I'm only going to actually do anything for section 3 because it's quite interesting and it will help me with any potential interviews.

I feel like I'm putting all my eggs in the Cambridge basket by spending all my time on the BMAT.

Haha, I'm not doing too much either. Got a B'ham interview coming up which is probably more important. I might make the BMAT score for Imperial, but Cambridge might end up being a long-shot. I'm confident about the interview though :p: (EDIT: Cambridge one, not B'ham. I can talk science.... but otherwise... :p:)
Reply 894
x.beth.x

I've given up with BMAT. I figure that section 1 is just aptitude completely so what's the point with 'revising' for that. Then section 2 I will try and do something for but in the exam I'll probably end up answering all the Bio/Chem/Maths ones and guessing any physics ones :p:. I'm only going to actually do anything for section 3 because it's quite interesting and it will help me with any interviews I get.

You are SO on my wavelength.
I've got so much work to do for my A levels over half term, I figure that by putting the most effort into them I'm going to gain more in the long run.
Of course I'd really love to get into cambridge, but I don't think even the admissions tutors would think it a wise idea to neglect college work in order to cram for the BMAT.
Isometrix
BMAT PHYSICS FORMULAE:

speed of sound = 340 m/s

Could you explain that one? I dont get it.
Kelly^2
You are SO on my wavelength.
I've got so much work to do for my A levels over half term, I figure that by putting the most effort into them I'm going to gain more in the long run.
Of course I'd really love to get into cambridge, but I don't think even the admissions tutors would think it a wise idea to neglect college work in order to cram for the BMAT.

Exactly. One of my best friends has applied to 3 BMAT unis and I can understand her wanting to put the work in, but for me... I think it's probably more important for me to relax and perhaps do a bit of background reading or something.
crazylemon

You don't need to know it.
crazylemon

i should really take that off, as i think that's more AS than gcse. but you still need to know what "half life" means.
Reply 899
Isometrix
i should really take that off, as i think that's more AS than gcse. but you still need to know what "half life" means.

LOL. that equation was funny, if i saw that at gcse id had wet myself, it looks soo scary.

We just need to know that half life is when the atom has lost half its mass.

Latest

Trending

Trending