The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 Exam Discussion

I have just finished doing the S1 exam. Found it pretty easy... probably about the same as all the other papers I've done (ie: all the past papers!).

Has anyone else done the exam yet? How long before we can post answers and discuss questions?

Also rate how difficult you thought it was:

1 - Really Easy
5 - Medium
10 - Very Hard

-------------------------------------------------------

S1 Answres

(a) Mode = 56
(b) Q1 = 35
Median = 52
Q3 = 60
(c) Mean = 49.4 (3sf)
S.D = 14.6 (3sf)
(d) <0 and so its negatively correlated
(e) mean<median<mode
Q3-Q2 < Q2-Q1

(a) p + q = 0.4
p + 2q = 0.65
(b) p = 0.15
q = 0.25
(c) Var(X) = 1.75
(d) Var(3-2X) = (-2)²Var(X) = 7

(a) [Scatter Diagram]
(b) Points lie in approximately a straight line
(c) a = 29.02 (2dp)
b = 3.90 (2dp)
(d) (i) 19 weeks = 103.12ml (2dp)
(ii) 35 weeks = 165.52ml (2dp)
(e) 19 weeks - okay because close to range of experimental data.
35 weeks - well outside range: regression model may not be valid.

(a) [Tree Diagram] (0.75, 8/11, 3/11 & 0.25, 9/11, 2/11)
(b) 0.25
(c) 2/11

(a) 1. don't need to build a full scale model thus saving time and cost
2. allow parameter to be adjusted and refined as quickly as possible
(b) (i) Height of adult males
(ii) Score obtained when a fair dice is rolled

(a) Venn Diagram (0.32, 0.22, 0.11, 0.35)
(b) P(A) = 0.54
P(B) = 0.33
(c) P(A|B`) = 32/67
(d) A and B - Not Independant

(a) P (H>188cm) = 0.0620 (3sf)
(b) P (W<97kg) = 0.9545
(c) P (H>188cm & W>97kg) = 0.00282 (3sf)
(d) Not entirely correct - taller people are generally heavier

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that was the easiest paper by far.
p.s i have only done 2 papers (this and my mock )
Reply 2
I crammed a lot of revision yesterday, but didn't feel too confident about it. It ended up going very well, it seemed fairly easy, and I was disappointed I couldn't have had some marks for the interpolation median forumla I forced myself to remember.

There was one question i'm kind of wondering about - the Venn diagram question. I can remember it so here it is. Hopefully you guys can clear it up for me:

n=and
u=or

Two events, A and B.

P(A n B') = 0.32
P(B n A') = 0.11
P(A u B) = 0.65

a) Draw a venn diagram displaying the information (3 marks)
b) Find the P(A) and P(B) (3 marks)
c) P(A|B') (3)
d) Show whether they are independant or not.

I wont post what I did just yet (I don't want to influence what you guys post). I got what seemed like sensible answers but I have a sinking feeling I may have attacked the whole question the wrong way and lost a fair few marks.

Can anyone set me straight?
why was it so easy, i bet the grade boundaries will be really high.

the only question which i think i may have messed up was the probability one (the one above ^^)
Reply 4
Yes, that probability question didn't treat me as well as the others.. I had to strap her down with some force, and penetrate my wisdom into her bussom.. not sure if I got the right answer though! :redface:
what did you get for the normal distribution question part c

where they were independent. what was ment to be done?. did you get something like 0.06 something?
Reply 6
yeah, the probability question (the Venn Diagram one) was a bit hard. The rest were good though. I'll post all the answers here a bit later. Want to make sure eveyone has finished doing the exam! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yes i got 0.06 for last q, they were NOT independent. The above proability question was easy too, pretty straight forward... I shall show u how in my next post.

the anyone get negative variance for the 2squaredVar(X) ... can variance even be negative ?
Reply 8
skdoc
Yes i got 0.06 for last q, they were NOT independent. The above proability question was easy too, pretty straight forward... I shall show u how in my next post.

the anyone get negative variance for the 2squaredVar(X) ... can variance even be negative ?

I got a negative answer too. I wasn't sure about it.
no i didnt get negative!?
no, didnt get negative. Var(X)= 1.75 so Var(3-2X)= 4*1.75=7

That venn diagram question, practically tells you how to fill it in.
P(A n B') = 0.32 is the area in A not overlapping with B etc...

That was the easiest S1 paper I have come across. Only a few days ago I got stuck on Jun 02 paper, so if i found this easy, i'm sure everyone else in the country did. We cant drop many marks then.

--------------

did you get p= 0.15 and q= 0.25?
i got
p= 0.15 and q= 0.25
Did you put they were not independent? Because P(A/B) does not equal P(A), and P(AnB) is not the same as P(A)xP(B).

--------------

Also, the last question tricked a few of us. It asked the probablity being taller than AND weighing more than. So you had to do 1- the answer to the previous part and multipy the two.
Reply 13
benfre
I crammed a lot of revision yesterday, but didn't feel too confident about it. It ended up going very well, it seemed fairly easy, and I was disappointed I couldn't have had some marks for the interpolation median forumla I forced myself to remember.

There was one question i'm kind of wondering about - the Venn diagram question. I can remember it so here it is. Hopefully you guys can clear it up for me:

n=and
u=or

Two events, A and B.

P(A n B') = 0.32
P(B n A') = 0.11
P(A u B) = 0.65

a) Draw a venn diagram displaying the information (3 marks)
b) Find the P(A) and P(B) (3 marks)
c) P(A|B') (3)
d) Show whether they are independant or not.

I wont post what I did just yet (I don't want to influence what you guys post). I got what seemed like sensible answers but I have a sinking feeling I may have attacked the whole question the wrong way and lost a fair few marks.

Can anyone set me straight?

a) Check the venn diagram attached.

P(A n B) = P (A u B) - P(B n A`) - P(A n B`)

b) Then you can just find out P(A) and P(B) from the venn diagram...

P(A) = 0.54 P(B)= 0.33

c) P(A/B`) = P(A n B) DIVIDED BY P(B`)

looking at venn diagram P(A n B) = 0.22
Probability of NOT B = P(A n B`) + P(A` n B`) = 0.32 +0.35 = 0.67

P(A/B`) 0.22/0.67 = 0.33 (2dp)

d) If INDEPENDENT P(A) x P(B) = P(A n B)

0.54 x 0.33 = 0.22
0.1782 NOT EQUAL 0.22 HENCE NOT INDEPENDENT.
Reply 14
Also, the last question tricked a few of us. It asked the probablity being taller than AND weighing more than. So you had to do 1- the answer to the previous part and multipy the two.

Why did u have to 1-, can you please remind me what the previous part was.... I just remember multiplying the two.

What two reasons did ppl put for that Hotel question, the one where you had to draw a scatter graph....
Reply 15
Mods, can we discuss this yet? The exam was this morning.

I must admit it did seem really easy. I hadn't even done any past papers or much revision, and yet there weren't really any questions that couldn't be solved either by using the formula booklet or common sense. The only question I didn't do was the one about whether it was independent or not, I wasn't sure about how to go about that, the rest of that question was easy though with the venn diagram and everything.

--------------

silent ninja

Oh crap, I fell for that one too, would I get any of the marks for just multiplying the two? It was a 3 mark question.

--------------

Also were you guys sitting it today as an AS resit or as an A2 first attempt?
Reply 16
I've just posted the answers I got on the first post. If I've got something wrong, let me know and I'll change it.

I've taken it off for the moment. I'll put it back on in a while. Just to make sure everyone has finished the exam before they get the answers!
Reply 17
ArVi
I've just posted the answers I got on the first post. If I've got something wrong, let me know and I'll change it.

S1 Answers

Dude you shouldn't do that, a lot of people probably haven't sat the exam yet, how can you remember all of that anyway?
I think the prevs part asked you the probablity of athletes taller than x cm, and then probablitity weighed less than 97kg or something (cant remember the figure).
The next question asked you, that if they are independent, find the probablity that they weigh more than 97kg AND are taller than x cm. So you had to be 1- P(less than 97kg) and multiply that by P(taller than x cm).

If that makes sense?
Reply 19
Joe_87
Dude you shouldn't do that, a lot of people probably haven't sat the exam yet, how can you remember all of that anyway?

yeah i guess so... I've removed it for the moment.

I wrote them down as soon as I came home and also I still had most in my calculator memory (the A, B, C, etc.)

Latest