The Student Room Group

importance of chemistry

hi!
today I was having a discussion with a friend who, like myself aims for med school. Chemistry is extremely difficult, and we expect to start our a level exams in a matter of months.

we eventually started wondering: why do med schools demand chemistry?

what part of medicine is so chem reliant, that a high grade in chem is required?

is there any current, or past med students that could shed some light on the curriculum that is taught at med school that involves knowledge of a level chemistry?

thanks!
Hey, I'm not a med student yet but rather I'm in the same position as you, I don't know in terms of content but me and my friends often say that maybe in order to cope with med school you first need to be able to cope with chemistry 😂.
P.s. We're doing advanced higher chemistry and we're also finding it very difficult.
Original post by oddDenominator
hi!
today I was having a discussion with a friend who, like myself aims for med school. Chemistry is extremely difficult, and we expect to start our a level exams in a matter of months.

what part of medicine is so chem reliant, that a high grade in chem is required?

is there any current, or past med students that could shed some light on the curriculum that is taught at med school that involves knowledge of a level chemistry?

thanks!

Why can't they demand Chemistry?

There may actually be a correct answer, but I'll just quote something I was told by my teacher:
"Chemistry is a nice in-between for the sciences, requiring application of knowledge (i.e. calculations) as well as the ability to remember content and explore concepts."

In regards to high grade, that doesn't just rely on chemistry. You need high grades in all your A-Levels. This is most likely the medical school's way of narrowing down applicants. To be a good doctor, you don't necessarily have to be a genius; if you can't communicate you would be in trouble as a doctor.

As for chemistry in the course, there's biochemistry and pharmacology. Even then, they are new concepts you are unlikely to have encountered at A-Level anyway. That's all I've encountered so far, but others may have a better idea.
Original post by oddDenominator
hi!

thanks!

There's very little pure chemistry in the degree. If you can understand this:

Spoiler

...that's practically all the pure chemistry you'll have to contend with on the degree.

There is a reasonable amount of biochemistry and molecular biology during the pre-clinical phase of the course, but this is all clinically oriented and very applied. It's not like A level chemistry at all. Similarly, medical school pharmacology is very applied and is very different from what medicinal chemists study.

So, why is chemistry a requirement? There are probably multiple reasons - it's a rigorous traditional academic subject, it's hard to get an A in so it restricts applicant numbers, it's a remnant from the old days, etc, etc.

What's important to remember is that advanced chemistry is not a large part of any medical degree or part of the day to day job of being a doctor. Not even a little.
(edited 6 years ago)
Keele requires either Biology OR Chemistry. So as long as you're doing Biology Chemistry isn't required. I think that's the only uni that doesn't insist on Chemistry, but I'm not 100% sure, there might be others too...
Reply 5
Might be useful if you do Clin Pharm/Clin Tox. But by all means not essential

Physics is far more important. Will help you with FRCA/FRCOphth/FRCR exams
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
same qs here..it's mostly biology imo.
be happy its not triple science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending