The Student Room Group

Chemistry as a potential subject if I want to do computer science at uni?

I’ve nearly finished my GCSE’s and the subjects I’ve chosen right now are maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science and my end goal is to do computer science at the very top universities. Many people who do computer science usually do my combination but physics instead of chemistry. My problem is that I really do not like physics and I really like chemistry. I’ve checked, and no university specifically states that I need physics, but I don’t know if by taking it, my chances to get into a good university will increase because physics is somewhat related to computer science. Thanks for the help
Reply 1
It might surprise you than you dont need A level Comp Sci to do a degree in Comp Sci - Maths is far more important and is often the only specified subject.

So, the important thing is that any other subjects you take are subjects that you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of getting top grades. If Chem is that subject, then do it.

Do not assume that Physics, or any other subject, is 'required' or that this will help your application, unless they actually say that on the Uni course page. Unis must tell applicants the truth about what they are looking for each course - there is no 'secret information' that only special people know about. So, dont assume anything about preferred subjects that is not stated on the course pages, and dont listen to any teachers that say things like 'All Unis prefer xxx' - they are usually wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest