The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I applied to LSE, Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol and Loughborough! No offers yet!
I've applied to St andrews, exeter, york and ucl twice, but pure economics only in york and exeter, though i only have acknowledgements from each uni. Did anyone here apply to ucl's - philosophy + econ, or econ + business with east european studies and received any replies?
Original post by CMMD
Of course, if you don't feel very confident with your applications this year - you can always re-apply next year. You could then have had the experience of applying, and getting to know what universities are asking for. I'm not entirely familiar with the process, though.
But don't think 34-38 is bad! It is really good! If you also have a strong PS I'm sure you'll be accepted by great unis! :smile:

Yeah, but 36-39 is always better :wink: I am unlucky, because they also refused to write good references to Oxford ;] Now I am wondering what will be my next punishment and what did they write about me in the references...
Original post by white_orchidea
Hmm, it is quite problematic. Although, there are still credits for students and to be honest- I don't think that people will allow to rise fees 3 times, because it is an act of discrimination. There will be protests and in my opinion, less people will approach unis... It is hard to predict what would be the effects of these changes, but an interest in higher education can decrease.

depends on if the protests succeed, but i think higher education was classified as merit good or something, it's just now people think that postgraduates benefit more than the rest of the society, and America has been doing so ie changing loads anyway...

does anyone reckon that the admission people do it alphabetically? cos both my surname and first name are quite far back...yeah i'm just making up excuses for not hearing anything...:s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 224
ive applied to york, leeds, lancaster, loughborough and newcastle and only recieved an acknowledgement from york so far, anyone in a remotely similar boat?

I don't know whether you mean the same boat in terms of the universities applied to or the current lack of offers? I have an offer from Loughborough (only offer) and i've seen a few other people with Loughborough offers around. Also, I know of one or two York and Newcastle offers, although I know of (more) people who haven't got them. I wouldn't be worried yet, especially if you haven't received acknowledgements. When did you send your ucas off?
Reply 225
Original post by john0401
I don't know whether you mean the same boat in terms of the universities applied to or the current lack of offers? I have an offer from Loughborough (only offer) and i've seen a few other people with Loughborough offers around. Also, I know of one or two York and Newcastle offers, although I know of (more) people who haven't got them. I wouldn't be worried yet, especially if you haven't received acknowledgements. When did you send your ucas off?

I have offers from both Leeds and York. I sent off my application early October and Leeds gave me an offer about a week and a half later, and York offered me a place at the beginning of November. So it may take a little while for them to process it. When did you send it off?
Reply 226
Anyone can give me advice on the last choice? I am considering between York and Exeter.
Original post by GuiLD_k
Anyone can give me advice on the last choice? I am considering between York and Exeter.

Well York is AAB, Exeter AAA
Exeter only offers a BA course whereas York offers BSC

So yah, need a back up? Like maths? Go fo York :colone:
Reply 228
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Well York is AAB, Exeter AAA
Exeter only offers a BA course whereas York offers BSC

So yah, need a back up? Like maths? Go fo York :colone:

The entry requirement for A-level means nothing to me as I am not studying A-level but something called foundation course, the entry requirement is the same. :wink:

by the way, isn't the exeter's one equal to Bsc?(they don't offer bsc course)

Which one you think is better if I am going to apply for master degree afterwards?:cool:
Original post by GuiLD_k
The entry requirement for A-level means nothing to me as I am not studying A-level but something called foundation course, the entry requirement is the same. :wink:

by the way, isn't the exeter's one equal to Bsc?(they don't offer bsc course)

Which one you think is better if I am going to apply for master degree afterwards?:cool:

BA and a BSC is different. BA is more essays and BSC a mathematical approach, from what I understand. Decide what's best for you.
Is it easier to get into manchester through economics or through international business, finance and economics?
Reply 231
Original post by john0401

ha i don't really know what i was asking about really to be honest, probably just reassurance. i sent my ucas off at the beginning of november so im not getting worried yet :smile: where are you thinking of having your firm ?
Unconditional from leeds! :biggrin:
Reply 233
ha i don't really know what i was asking about really to be honest, probably just reassurance. i sent my ucas off at the beginning of november so im not getting worried yet where are you thinking of having your firm ?

Nottingham or Bath fingers crossed! We'll have to see though :tongue:. What about you?
Hi guys. So, my choices are LSE, UCL, Durham, York and I need one more, but I would rather have something between 32-34 points in case my exams will be veeery tough... what can you advise me?
Reply 235
Original post by thecodman
I am sorry dude are those a level grades predicted or achieved??

achieved
Reply 236
Original post by white_orchidea
My friend is at UCL (politics combined with Eastern European studies). She said that the most important is PS rather than predicted grades. I am afraid that I will be rejected as well... I wrote my personal statement 7 times, each from the beggining. After 3 months I am pretty happy with it, but none knows what do they expect you to write.

In the feedback they said... it was my grades that wasnt good enough
Original post by a2student01
I've applied to St andrews, exeter, york and ucl twice, but pure economics only in york and exeter, though i only have acknowledgements from each uni. Did anyone here apply to ucl's - philosophy + econ, or econ + business with east european studies and received any replies?

i applied for economics and business but i only sent it off last week. have you heard anything yet?
Reply 238
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865,
out of interest as its my 5th/backup choice, why is leicester economics so low on the average salary, table. for some reason it is below uni's far lower down in the league tables like nottingham trent and portsmouth?
Original post by Wezzler
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865,
out of interest as its my 5th/backup choice, why is leicester economics so low on the average salary, table. for some reason it is below uni's far lower down in the league tables like nottingham trent and portsmouth?

Maybe the Uni has very poor connections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending